FULL TIME! OLDHAM 2 SWINDON 1

Great result, some immense performances and something that will hopefully give the club a further shot in the arm (player confidence and fans wanting to come back).

In terms of the game, Swindon are a very good side and with the first half JPT performance by Preston that rates as the most worried I have been watching an opponent all season. Felt that the loss of Wilkinson impacted our rhythm and allowed Swindon to get back into the game and start to put us under pressure.

For the last 20 minutes of the first half and good chunks of the second we were under pressure - but generally handled that pressure well and limited Swindon's chances and those that came Keane did a good job (the goal was tricky to tell if he could have done better). The approach worked, in that we got a result and also we created some decent opportunities to kill the game on the break, but being critical I thought that we were too willing to drop too deep too early.

There were too many times for me that we allowed Swindon to have the ball unchallenged in their area (e.g. not pressuring throw-ins etc) that allowed them to dictate the game too much. We could/should be able to take more control of the game and make them have more to worry about.

On the plus side we won't play too many games against teams as good as these, but if Bristol City and MK Dons watch that DVD I think they will fancy their chances to score if we give them that much time on the ball.

But, these are minor points. Overall a great game of entertaining football with a superb result that hopefully sets us up for an exciting run in.

In the first half we showed teams how to beat Swindon, mark Luongo, chase down their GK (he will make a mistake playing like that) and have some pace up front. Their back 3 all struggled against the pace of Forte, Murphy, Poleon and even Wilkinson, and as I have already said, on another day their number 29 could have been red carded after 30 minutes.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They were the best ive seen at BP for a long time. A lot of people saying we couldnt get close to them/didnt press fast enough, if you press or get tight to players who are that comfortable under pressure, they will play around you and you will be left open. Tactics were to let them have it in their half but plenty of bodies around the edge of our box to stop any threaded through balls. How many blocks did we make on our edge? They got through once close to the end in our right back channel, and kean made a good save.

Good tactical display and very mature of johnson to see we are playing a team who can outplay us, so lets find another way to win... Impressive.

They were the best ive seen at BP for a long time. A lot of people saying we couldnt get close to them/didnt press fast enough, if you press or get tight to players who are that comfortable under pressure, they will play around you and you will be left open. Tactics were to let them have it in their half but plenty of bodies around the edge of our box to stop any threaded through balls. How many blocks did we make on our edge? They got through once close to the end in our right back channel, and kean made a good save.

Good tactical display and very mature of johnson to see we are playing a team who can outplay us, so lets find another way to win... Impressive.

nail on the head.

well as the people I am currently amongst keep insisting on saying to me, awesome!

anyone else thinking like me that this result means we are just seven points from the magic 50 point mark that should guarantee our safety - although we probably need eight given the goal difference - and we have 17 matches from which to get them? awesome!

two games coming up against sides in the relegation zone, one of them currently propping up the table. now there is a recipe for disaster ... but let us not focus on the negative when Latics are fifth at this stage of the season, awesome!

Never have I been so nervous while 2-0 up.

After the first 15-20 minutes, you could always see they had something about them that was very, very dangerous.

Once they got rid of the cockiness in their defence and keeper, they look as good a side as I've seen at BP in a good few years.

From our point of view though, the players showed exactly how much they want this. Putting their bodies on the line with numerous blocks from just throwing themselves at the ball, particularly Elokobi and Kelly.

Great to see.

on a more serious note, lots of comments here that Murphy isn't match fit but what is the best cure for that? - give him time on the pitch in matches like this. it was therefore a correct, wise and brave decision by Johnson to bring him on when wilkinson had to leave early albeit helped of course by already being two up.

how did Mellis perform? and Philliskirk when he came on, did he fulfil the role of a sub coming on with 35 minutes left and the team ahead?

only disappointment from looking at the bbc website report is the crowd figure, only 3,451 to see what sounds like one the best league matches at BP for some time. of course I was one of those missing so cannot complain. let us hope this result and Saturday's cut price offer encourages a decent crowd to turn up for the Colchester game ... and that the team provide a performance that encourages them to keep coming at full price in the future. I will have to miss this one too but will have returned to the UK in time to attend the Orient match, which I now cannot wait for.

awesome!

Make no mistake Swindon have a number of players that are way above this league and at times those players showed it. The shear will and desire of the Latics players matched that though and today there will be some tired happy bodies amongst our ranks.

I thought LJ got his tactics spot on and the players produced for him. That was some match. The perfect start that the pressing earned and two well taken goals and at that point Latics were threatening to run riot against them. The loss of Wilkinson, who had started so well was a blow but that is nothing against Murphy. Who for all his knocker's played his part for me. Clearly the lad will get fitter and showed in parts a knowledge of where to run and a willing to do it. He'll come good with his share of goals. I look forward to his development.

The defending was top drawer and the amount of blocks was testament to that as Latics in the main reduced a good probing Swindon side to longer range efforts as apposed to tap in's. For all Swindon's good play and possession I always felt Latics could score more goals and nearly did a number of times.

Rest day today for those lads and back in Thursday to prepare. Well done Latics.

The criticism of Murphy is harsh even by OWTB standards.

I thought there was plenty of effort there and his movement was good - he's much more mobile than I'd expected.

He tracked back well too.

We've seen far worse debuts and he was sent on once we were defending a lead rather than chasing a goal.

They were a very good League One passing team but they completely folded in that first 20.

We seemed to be happy for them to get to the edge of the box, but once they got there they ran out of ideas a bit. I can only remember the one shot near the end that actually took place inside the box, other than that it was mostly long range efforts.

Having watched the Bradford-MK game last night I'd be amazed if Swindon didn't finish second.

Edited by dec666

The criticism of Murphy is harsh even by OWTB standards.

I thought there was plenty of effort there and his movement was good - he's much more mobile than I'd expected.

He tracked back well too.

We've seen far worse debuts and he was sent on once we were defending a lead rather than chasing a goal.

Wouldn't say I have read that anyone is criticising Murphy just commenting on his first performance for Us and how he will Improve! Everyone here seems to agree he'll Improve as he settles and the team gel to him and release the ball quicker rather than once he's strayed offside.

Further, I would say to the players well done however, "you've now set the bench mark" it's a tough game!!

Absolutely Lags, perform like that, put that effort in every game for 95 minutes, if you're knackered we can sub you for a player who also can do the same job.

Midfield is perhaps a little light in numbers for this but I'm sure a loaner would be able to drop in.

As others have said, not the greatest but not the worst last night in a game that was not ideal to showcase the talents of a forward by the time he came on.

Thought that he did tire near the end, but for parts I thought that Murphy looked like a strong menancing type forward whose movement looked good in that he was regularly getting clear of his man. Once Forte / Poleon / Murphy get used to each other I expect that the effectiveness of our counter attacks will improve (and they are already pretty good).

Good home debut, but expect him to improve.

The most pleasing aspect of tonight was the fact we scored 2 goals when on top, how often do we give teams an early run around and still can't score. If I was a Swindon fan I would be gutted to be going home with nothing from the game, they are as good a side as I have seen this season and the number 4 was utter quality.

Swindon were as good a side as we have seen here in years, they should go up automatically (don't want them in the play offs).

Give the lad a chance what do you expect him to do when our backs are against the wall and he is up top on his own.

I wasn't at the game. That must be said. But all reports of his signing were that he's a goalscorer. He's not going to create things alone and not really a target man. So if we really were as backs-to-the-wall as people are telling me then this is really not the game to judge him on!

Swindon are a good footballing team, not even the Premiership teams we met in the FA cup in recent years put us under so much pressure, I think they will go on to win this league and take the Championship by storm. In context a win was tremendous.

Edited by BP1960