Full Time: Leyton Orient 3 Oldham Athletic 0

Brown, Winchester and Murphy seemed the only players up for it. Maybe Poleon too.

We missed Jones. Have they said what's wrong with him?

Are we worse with no Kelly or a poor Kelly?

Terrible again but, somehow we're still in the hunt.

There's no reason we can't produce another run of form to sneak 6th.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brown, Winchester and Murphy seemed the only players up for it. Maybe Poleon too.

Jones is/was ill according to our official and Gordon & Roy.

I'd expect him back for PNE.

I will agree with the majority that Brown did improve on what had gone before. I does get up and down the flank. My one question mark with Brown he tends go down a blind alley once squared up to the defender, he doesn't have a trick to beat the man. Kind of runs out of idea's. That's the one thing Wilson does have over him. Wilson is not the best, but he certainly isn't as bad as made out either.

B Wison has hardly beaten a man all season-they both run into blind alleys but Connor has more energy in getting down the line.

I think that B Wilson, Jones and Philly have all been poor for the last few weeks, apart from the odd spark

Lee, limited agreement regarding those games because Mills' best attribute is his attacking prowess.......his defending is a concern against a very good winger. So Johnson now has a dilemma.......does he sacrifice some of our attacking and take a chance by playing Brown or take a different chance and hope Mills gets his defending brain wired up without losing the attacking runs he creates?

Having said that, Mills went off at half time yesterday, what's the situation there?

B Wison has hardly beaten a man all season-they both run into blind alleys but Connor has more energy in getting down the line.

I think that B Wilson, Jones and Philly have all been poor for the last few weeks, apart from the odd spark

As have the team in general.

Jones was given 4 days off by LJ. Latics Player then said he was ill before travelling for the Leyton game.

Where was Brian Wilson for the first two goals?

It looks like we weren't playing with a RB.

If you think we can get play offs now you're absolutely deluded. Considering we get battered by any team in the lower bottom half and we have about 6 games against them there's no chance. And we're never going to put together a run of 5 victories against the likes of Bristol, PNE and MK.

Edited by NewBlue

We all know what a crap performance that was, even if the second half was an improvement on the first. All three of their goals came down our right. Brian Wilson looked lost and was caught out of position too many times right from the start. That's why Kelly was defending in the box when he gave away the penalty. And, speaking of Kelly, how his form has dipped. His set pieces and passing in general were awful apart from the odd few. God knows what's happened to Philliskirk, because we know there is a decent player in there somewhere.

As soon as we saw how we had set up, it looked all wrong. Poleon wide left, Turner wide right and Forte down the middle. It just didn't have any balance and Turner looked like he'd never seen a football in his life. Poleon swapping wings, Forte on the left and Turner central gave us more impetus, but why did we wait that long (until half time) to change it?

OK, LJ had to make two substitutions he wouldn't have planned for, but I thought Kusunga did OK and may well keep his place against PNE if Big George isn't fit. Losing Mills was a blow as, though his defending isn't always spot on, he had the beating of their full back every time. Connor Brown again showed how much he has improved and I'd certainly start him in preference to Brian Wilson at RB. Perhaps his loan spell at Carlisle did him good. If Mills isn't fit for Saturday, play Brown at LB and maybe consider Kusunga at RB. I might get slaughtered for that, but I thought he had a decent game when he came on for Big George. We certainly missed Jones and Wilkinson, but it says something when one of the players you miss most isn't even one of ours.

I honestly believe that LJ has it in him to be an excellent manager who may well go on to better things, but he is making some poor decisions. I don't know whether he persists with this diamond because he doesn't believe in out and out wingers or he's doesn't think he has the players to do anything else. Didn't he say he wanted the players at every level at the club to be able to adapt to three different formations? The 4-1-4-1 doesn't seem to work either because we haven't got the lone striker who can do that job.

Somehow, he has to come up with a system that puts players in their best positions. Mellis has to be given a go at Philliskirk's expense. Give Murphy a start with Wilkinson up top when he comes back. In the meantime, Turner(or AMS if he's fit) with Murphy. Winchester showed again yesterday that he can waltz through a defence, but his final pass is often lacking. Do you play him wide right? If so, where would Mellis fit in?

It's a conundrum that LJ has to sort out and fast or mid table is where we'll be come May. He's got options, but I'm not convinced he knows what his best team is.

Wonders if those who are bemoaning us losing to a team in the bottom 4 are the same ones who cited Orient's massively superior budget as a reason when they beat us in August.

Little tip their budget won't have decreased, and ours won't have increased either.

Last one from me on this game But note Swindon losing home to Crawley and Colchester going 3 up to Bristol City shows that to me is not about performing about highly placed or lower table teams- it is about tactics and sticking to basics. Lose the game plan, or not have one and you will lose to anyone! Onwards and upwards hopefully

Last one from me on this game But note Swindon losing home to Crawley and Colchester going 3 up to Bristol City shows that to me is not about performing about highly placed or lower table teams- it is about tactics and sticking to basics. Lose the game plan, or not have one and you will lose to anyone! Onwards and upwards hopefully

Or just that anyone can beat anyone on any given day. Which is why football is entertaining.

Not that yesterday wasn't an absolute mess.

that was unacceptable on Saturday. Stealing their wages, wandering around the pitch doing...........well, doing what exactly? The Orient fans put their finger on it when they sang "we're winning at home, how <beep> must you be".

The only silver lining was I was home at 6pm to relate to an ashen faced family news of our crushing defeat. Varus, give me back my legions etc - rather than still chugging up the motorway shaking my head

that was unacceptable on Saturday. Stealing their wages, wandering around the pitch doing...........well, doing what exactly? The Orient fans put their finger on it when they sang "we're winning at home, how <beep> must you be".

The only silver lining was I was home at 6pm to relate to an ashen faced family news of our crushing defeat. Varus, give me back my legions etc - rather than still chugging up the motorway shaking my head

I'm in the unacceptable camp for that :censored:e on Saturday. It's the brainlessness I can't bear the most. Or was it the lack of pride?

You heard the Orient fans?

We all know what a crap performance that was, even if the second half was an improvement on the first. All three of their goals came down our right. Brian Wilson looked lost and was caught out of position too many times right from the start. That's why Kelly was defending in the box when he gave away the penalty. And, speaking of Kelly, how his form has dipped. His set pieces and passing in general were awful apart from the odd few. God knows what's happened to Philliskirk, because we know there is a decent player in there somewhere.

As soon as we saw how we had set up, it looked all wrong. Poleon wide left, Turner wide right and Forte down the middle. It just didn't have any balance and Turner looked like he'd never seen a football in his life. Poleon swapping wings, Forte on the left and Turner central gave us more impetus, but why did we wait that long (until half time) to change it?

The bottom line is that too many of the team simply go missing when things get tough. Johnson is hugely to blame for this in my opinion in that he continues to play players out of position and players that are out of form. Some of the team must be top notch in training during the week as otherwise how do they catch the starting eleven?

Wilson B, Elokobi, Philliskirk - just too inconsistent and tend to be at the heart of our problems on the pitch. Also - it is apparent that Johnson does not like to play with wingers - the last player we had who could fulfil that role was Petrasso. Add to that LJ's narrow defensive approach and it is plain why we are so inconsistent. We need a captain at the back - Lockwood must be way past it now for him not to even get a game. Yes he is learning the managerial game but is he learning quickly enough?

You heard the Orient fans?

haha, yes I did as it happens. I was standing off to the quiet side of our section and, although they're a quiet bunch, that's the loudest I've ever heard Orient. Heard all of 4 chants from them which is 4 more than usual. Also it's the first time I've been moved to exchange obscene gestures at their little oafs giving it the big un over the segregation. Something is stirring in east London ;-)