Who's leaving?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a result of the things he said, which nobody wants to hear, I'm calling him a mercenary...

I don't really think it's a stretch to call him one given what he said

I find this hypocrisy funny from one of Johnson's biggest abusers on this board

What's he said?

But Johnson did well for Oldham - we're in a better place than we were when he joined the club - do you view that as a 'Win Win' too?

I don't want to single Green out particularly, as, like I've already said, I believe most players see the club in the same way. As others have said, it is understandable they do, but it's not really something you relish hearing as a supporter.

The fact that they play for the club doesn't blind me into thinking they're any different to any other person. Although I don't think it's a healthy mindset to have when entering a team. Surely if you're more concerned about getting a move and impressing as an individual then you'll be less concerned about working for the team and ultimately 'winning' isn't as important as playing well yourself. We repeatedly complain about that element of having loans.

José Baxter

Chris Taylor

Neal Eardley

Dean Furman

Dale Stephens

Earl Barrett

Paul Warhurst

Fitz Hall

Clint Hill

Were all these players mercenaries in your eyes?

All went on to 'bigger clubs' but had differing success at Latics.

A player can look to be successful as an individual as well as part of a team but may not be able to accomplish both. He may fail at both due to his surroundings and the quality around him.

You are reading too much in to what a 19 year old who probably wanted to get out of there for a cheeky nandos said in a quick interview. All of which probably wasn't put to print.

Any successful player will tell you especially a forward player that to be a winner you need to be a bit selfish. It could the difference between 10 goals or 15 which could mean a play off sport or more.

If you look for the negative you will find it and keep finding ways to put down a player who hasn't done anything wrong.

'We'? I have never complained about loaning a player and those that do need to realise its part of the game now.

Edited by palmer1

Matt Chambers ‏@Matt_Chambers_

News in tomorrow's @OldhamChronicle of another #oafc departure (of sorts, anyway) in addition to Jim Harvey.

Matt Chambers ‏@Matt_Chambers_

That sounds a little more dramatic than it should. Don't panic... #oafc

I would have thought releasing a trialist to be minor news and worthy of instant confirmation. With four days until the new season, if Chambers and the sports desk are struggling to fill their back pages they're lacking in ideas.

Could well be a loan signing out.

I would have thought releasing a trialist to be minor news and worthy of instant confirmation. With four days until the new season, if Chambers and the sports desk are struggling to fill their back pages they're lacking in ideas.

Yea loan out would also make sense...Bove would be my guess

I get what you are saying, but a departure (of sorts) is not a loan out. That is a departure. Trialing fits this0, and him downplaying it later.

The reason he is struggling to fill the back page is there is not much news! Especially on experienced centre backs...

Has Bove been injured or upset DK?

I can't remember him playing any part in any of the friendlies? He's been well and truly left out in the cold.

It's part of DK's youth philosophy...treat them mean keep them keen Edited by Blue_Guru

José Baxter

Chris Taylor

Neal Eardley

Dean Furman

Dale Stephens

Earl Barrett

Paul Warhurst

Fitz Hall

Clint Hill

A player can look to be successful as an individual as well as part of a team but may not be able to accomplish both. He may fail at both due to his surroundings and the quality around him.

You are reading too much in to what a 19 year old who probably wanted to get out of there for a cheeky nandos said in a quick interview. All of which probably wasn't put to print.

Any successful player will tell you especially a forward player that to be a winner you need to be a bit selfish. It could the difference between 10 goals or 15 which could mean a play off sport or more.

If you look for the negative you will find it and keep finding ways to put down a player who hasn't done anything wrong.

'We'? I have never complained about loaning a player and those that do need to realise its part of the game now.

I don't see that working for your team's success and having a ruthless streak required for goals is mutually exclusive...

It's impossible to comment on those examples without a knowledge of their mindsets when joining the club, and of course I wouldn't begrudge a player for moving on when the time is right - only they know whether they were more interested in winning than moving on to somewhere else. Essentially I find it a bit warped that a lad joins the club and before he says he's arsed about achieving anything, he's talking about leaving.

And the Green article demonstrates everything wrong with loans. I'd be fuming reading that as a Tranmere fan. Being in the relegation team of a proud club that has been in the football league for donkeys years was 'an interesting experience' - no hint of shame or even disappointment at how they'd sent a club down to new depths. That's the essence of loans: unless the player has exceptional quality above the standard of that level, they're the ultimate mercenary.

José Baxter

Chris Taylor

Neal Eardley

Dean Furman

Dale Stephens

Earl Barrett

Paul Warhurst

Fitz Hall

Clint Hill

I don't see that working for your team's success and having a ruthless streak required for goals is mutually exclusive...

It's impossible to comment on those examples without a knowledge of their mindsets when joining the club, and of course I wouldn't begrudge a player for moving on when the time is right - only they know whether they were more interested in winning than moving on to somewhere else. My opinion isn't based on any solid facts, it's just something that you can see in the game. Essentially I find it a bit warped that a lad joins the club and before he says he's arsed about achieving anything, he's talking about leaving.

And the Green article demonstrates everything wrong with loans. I'd be fuming reading that as a Tranmere fan. Being in the relegation team of a proud club that has been in the football league for donkeys years was 'an interesting experience' - no hint of shame or even disappointment at how they'd sent a club down to new depths. That's the essence of loans: unless the player has exceptional quality above the standard of that level, they're the ultimate mercenary.

Edited by NewBlue

• 4 weeks later...

It does sound plausible, given Smithies was sold by Huddersfield the other week, that they might show an interest.

From Latics' perspective, I don't see the need to sell Coleman now. They won't get any serious money, with him having little proven experience, and it's likely he'll be worth much more in the future - maybe simply in terms of performances this campaign.

Edited by NewBlue

It does sound plausible, given Smithies was sold by Huddersfield the other week, that they might show an interest.

From Latics' perspective, I don't see the need to sell Coleman now. They won't get any serious money, with him having little proven experience, and it's likely he'll be worth much more in the future - maybe simply in terms of performances this campaign.

Particularly as he's better than the one currently holding a first team spot at Manchester United.