Team for Walsall

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has to be Turner over Cassidy.

The latter has hardly had a pre-season and the former has earnt his place over the past few months.

Tricky one. Turner sure as hell will score more goals than Cassidy, but can he do it while on his own up front? Depends how we play. If it's on the deck then it could work. If we're lumping it up then it's got to be Cassidy.

Joel Coleman

Brian Wilson - James Wilson - Jonathan Burn - Joseph Mills

Liam Kelly

Lee Croft - Mike Jones - Carl Winchester - Jonathan Forte

Jake Cassidy

I'm pretty sure that's what he's going to line up with. Personally, I'd like Turner in the team but I think he'll go with 5 in the middle and therefore that'll mean Cassidy getting the nod with Croft & Forte occupying the flanks, with Jones & Winchester providing support.

I can't see him playing a 442 as that'll mean Kelly & Jones as the nailed on centre mids leaving Winchester, Green & Dunn on the bench.

There's also a case for Brown over Brian Wilson, but they're equal in ability in my opinion so not overly arsed either way.

I think thats the likely team we will play, and arguably our strongest even though Cassidy hasnt bagged or hardly played in pre season. However it doesnt quite back up DKs talk of using the pace in the squad, Id expect Poleon/Turner to be in there, if he sticks to his early guns.

Is anyone else hoping the Croft/Cassidy relationship will mirror Liddell/Porter? Get Croft on pens...

Coleman

Brown

Burn

J Wilson

Mills

Croft

Kelly

Winchester

Jones

Forte

Turner

I'd have it as a 4-4-2 diamond with Croft a winger and Jones a narrow left sided midfielder, Kelly holding and Winchester further upfield.

Bench of Cornell, B Wilson, Gunning, Dunn, Green, Poleon and Cassidy is pretty strong.

Coleman

Brown

Burn

J Wilson

Mills

Croft

Kelly

Winchester

Jones

Forte

Turner

I'd have it as a 4-4-2 diamond with Croft a winger and Jones a narrow left sided midfielder, Kelly holding and Winchester further upfield.

Bench of Cornell, B Wilson, Gunning, Dunn, Green, Poleon and Cassidy is pretty strong.

If Forte is up top he needs some sort of big bloke up with him. Best form was with Ibehre up top.

Turner wins more in the air then Ibehre ever did, apart from Sheff united.

Not about winning headers, Ibehre was a physical threat, moved defenders about and created space for Fortes pace. Sheff Utd goal being a perfect example.

Turner needs a bruiser too I reckon. I like the fancy approach, but sometimes you need a battering ram.

Not about winning headers, Ibehre was a physical threat, moved defenders about and created space for Fortes pace. Sheff Utd goal being a perfect example.

Turner needs a bruiser too I reckon. I like the fancy approach, but sometimes you need a battering ram.

Agree with that sometimes, but we don't have a battering ram - Cassidys a neat footballer that's scored a few headers in his past by getting into the right positions, he's no battering ram and he certainly won't be shoving big centre halfs about like Ibehre did. Turner given the chance will score a few headers, and he'll play in a similar style to Cassidy so simply on pre season form alone Turner should get the nod.

(He won't, though.)

Agree with that sometimes, but we don't have a battering ram - Cassidys a neat footballer that's scored a few headers in his past by getting into the right positions, he's no battering ram and he certainly won't be shoving big centre halfs about like Ibehre did. Turner given the chance will score a few headers, and he'll play in a similar style to Cassidy so simply on pre season form alone Turner should get the nod.

(He won't, though.)

On pre season form, and the fact I think he has a good career ready to be carved I would personally play Turner, but Cassidy will play!!

Tricky one. Turner sure as hell will score more goals than Cassidy, but can he do it while on his own up front? Depends how we play. If it's on the deck then it could work. If we're lumping it up then it's got to be Cassidy.

I'm a big Turner fan but he's never scored 15 in a season, Cassidy has .....

I'm a big Turner fan but he's never scored 15 in a league one season, Cassidy has .....

FTFY. Wasn't it mentioned that he scored something like 44 in a season at college level?

True though, I'm sure Cassidy has been drafted in as a 100% starter and that'll be why Kelly will start him

Turner beats men a lot taller than him in the air on a regular basis

He's not your ordinary 'target man', but I reckon he'd do okay up front on his own

What's with all this one up front talk, I'm under the impression that our philosophy now is all out attack.

Barcelona play none up front, but manage to attack ok, I'll admit our players aren't quite in their class though (yet).

Edited by BP1960