Kelly pre Walsall presser

Looks far more comfortable in front of the cameras. Expands on his answers a lot more than in previous interviews and says we need to be more clinical in front of goal which is good he knows that.

I'm excited for Saturday now and hope he is a huge success!

Have we ever over analysed a managers interview technique as much as this one?

He interviews far better than Dave Penney, Brian Talbot, Ronnie Moore, and John Sheridan,

I have no concerns whatsoever about his interview technique. How many points do his interviews get us?

What really matters is what he says to the players in the dressing room, on the training pitch his pre match and half time team talks.

I will judge him on results and I won’t be too judgemental on them to begin with. We will have 3 month of tinkering and trial and error we will see something’s he gets right and something’s he will get wrong as long as we see some kind of clear plan come the end of November then I'm not that concerned.

It doesn't matter that much if we don’t get off to a magnificent start, Paul Dickov and John Sheridan did and then when things started to go badly for them they didn’t know how to change it. That's not a sign I will settle for us staying up, I'd be disappointed with a bottom half finish with the squad we have but at the same time we have to give the new manager in his first managerial job a bit of leeway, both on the pitch and infront of the camera.

Have we ever over analysed a managers interview technique as much as this one?

He interviews far better than Dave Penney, Brian Talbot, Ronnie Moore, and John Sheridan,

I have no concerns whatsoever about his interview technique. How many points do his interviews get us?

What really matters is what he says to the players in the dressing room, on the training pitch his pre match and half time team talks.

I will judge him on results and I wont be too judgemental on them to begin with. We will have 3 month of tinkering and trial and error we will see somethings he gets right and somethings he will get wrong as long as we see some kind of clear plan come the end of November then I'm not that concerned.

It doesn't matter that much if we dont get off to a magnificent start, Paul Dickov and John Sheridan did and then when things started to go badly for them they didnt know how to change it. That's not a sign I will settle for us staying up, I'd be disappointed with a bottom half finish with the squad we have but at the same time we have to give the new manager in his first managerial job a bit of leeway, both on the pitch and infront of the camera.

My issue wasn't that he was nervous behind the camera (that just made it uncomfortable viewing).

My issue was he was full of cliches, analogies and didn't give the questions asked of him much thought and I struggled to buy into what he was saying so it all came across as disingenuous. I could only presume that if that's how he speaks to fans it's also how he communicates his philosophies and style of play to the squad day in day out...so in a nut shell it all came across as a load of guff with no real substance and therefore the players wouldn't have the foggiest of what he wanted from them. Maybe just personal preference but I like simplicity, direction and facts not philosophy and theory...

But like I say this latest interview was more to the point so for me it was an improvement and gives me some confidence

Edited by Blue_Guru

I could only presume that if that's how he speaks to fans it's also how he communicates his philosophies and style of play to the squad day in day out...

Seriously? You don't think it's possible that how he comes across on camera, where fans are looking for hidden meaning in every raised eyebrow, could be different to how he comes across in the privacy of the dressing room or training ground?!

Seriously? You don't think it's possible that how he comes across on camera, where fans are looking for hidden meaning in every raised eyebrow, could be different to how he comes across in the privacy of the dressing room or training ground?!

Same poster has written off Gunning off the back of a couple of kickabout games so I don't think there's much going on between the ears...

....I don't think Blue Guru means that.... I think the point he/she was making was that a good communicator is able to communicate well, no matter who the audience is. Ergo, If DK struggles communicating well in front of a camera, does he struggle getting his point across to the players....?

....I don't think Blue Guru means that.... I think the point he/she was making was that a good communicator is able to communicate well, no matter who the audience is. Ergo, If DK struggles communicating well in front of a camera, does he struggle getting his point across to the players....?

I think you're being a bit generous there! The bit I quoted said they presumed that because the interviews weren't great it'd be the same with the players. I disagreed. I'm a decent communicator at work and with friends, but stick a camera in front of me and I'm not as comfortable. Kelly will have spent his life on football pitches and in dressing rooms, and given the level he played at probably hardly any media work. So I don't think you can make any comparison between his interviews and what he might be like with the players.

My issue wasn't that he was nervous behind the camera (that just made it uncomfortable viewing).

My issue was he was full of cliches, analogies and didn't give the questions asked of him much thought and I struggled to buy into what he was saying so it all came across as disingenuous. I could only presume that if that's how he speaks to fans it's also how he communicates his philosophies and style of play to the squad day in day out...so in a nut shell it all came across as a load of guff with no real substance and therefore the players wouldn't have the foggiest of what he wanted from them. Maybe just personal preference but I like simplicity, direction and facts not philosophy and theory...

But like I say this latest interview was more to the point so for me it was an improvement and gives me some confidence

Their we go again over analysing interviews.

It's becoming a self fulfilling prophecy this.

He's going to fail

He's going to fail

He fails

Ha! I said he was going to fail I was right all along!

....I'm a decent communicator at work and with friends, but stick a camera in front of me and I'm not as comfortable. Kelly will have spent his life on football pitches and in dressing rooms, and given the level he played at probably hardly any media work.....

Very fair.... fingers crossed that's the case....!

I think you're being a bit generous there! The bit I quoted said they presumed that because the interviews weren't great it'd be the same with the players. I disagreed. I'm a decent communicator at work and with friends, but stick a camera in front of me and I'm not as comfortable. Kelly will have spent his life on football pitches and in dressing rooms, and given the level he played at probably hardly any media work. So I don't think you can make any comparison between his interviews and what he might be like with the players.

Not that I have to justify my 'opinion' to you...BUT As I said before it's not the fact that he stumbled over his words in front of the camera it was the content of what he actually said. 'In my opinion' someone is either a clear communicator or they aren't...the presence of a camera doesn't make your brain start speaking in riddles and anologies.

Their we go again over analysing interviews.

It's becoming a self fulfilling prophecy this.

He's going to fail

He's going to fail

He fails

Ha! I said he was going to fail I was right all along!

And also, you don't need many hands of fingers to count the number of managers in modern football who have never failed (been sacked/terminated/let go/etc./delete as applicable) in one way or another in their careers, such is the fickle nature of clubs/chairmen etc.

I could only presume that if that's how he speaks to fans it's also how he communicates his philosophies and style of play to the squad day in day out

Your presumptions seem flawed - for starters I've not heard him swear in a filmed interview. Do you reckon he doesn't swear with/to the players.....?

Bollocks - my friends, colleagues & clients understand my every word perfectly. My wife and kids seem not to....

Not that I have to justify my 'opinion' to you...BUT As I said before it's not the fact that he stumbled over his words in front of the camera it was the content of what he actually said. 'In my opinion' someone is either a clear communicator or they aren't...the presence of a camera doesn't make your brain start speaking in riddles and anologies.

Seriously? You've never know anybody who's confident as can be one on one or in small groups but goes to pieces in front of large groups or a camera???

Seriously? You've never know anybody who's confident as can be one on one or in small groups but goes to pieces in front of large groups or a camera???

Absolutely. I'm not professing to be Stephen Fry but I'm reasonably articulate. At work once I had to read a statement about redundancies out on Look North (East Yorkshire) - it took about 6 takes and even then I looked like a bumbling idiot when it was broadcast.

Absolutely. I'm not professing to be Stephen Fry but I'm reasonably articulate. At work once I had to read a statement about redundancies out on Look North (East Yorkshire) - it took about 6 takes and even then I looked like a bumbling idiot when it was broadcast.

I was once interviewed for a TV recording in front of an audience of 500, something I'd never done before, it was quite surreal and after I had said my piece the director shouted to the presenter, '"Ask him do it again, but 30 seconds longer". This threw me as I couldn't really remember what I'd just said.

However, when the edited version came out it made my spiel almost perfect, even though I appeared as wooden as Pinocchio.

Edited by BP1960