Darren Kelly - I've seen the light

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not counting any chickens and results are what matters but his pre match press conference today, thought he came across very well and very positive attitude

Agreed he seems to be settling in and adapting quickly. Fair play to him had a fair amount of stick from me included on this front.

Fully aware this is utterly deluded on the basis of one match, but I genuinely believe if there's one 'surprise' team that will make the play offs, it's us

Our midfield is scarily good for our usual standards and both the attack and defence have filled me with confidence, having doubted them

Fully aware this is utterly deluded on the basis of one match, but I genuinely believe if there's one 'surprise' team that will make the play offs, it's us

Nobody else would be surprised with the squad we've got.

Anything less would be failure.

Some of you have been conditioned to be happy with 16th and expect nothing better.

Some of you have been conditioned to be happy with 16th and expect nothing better.

We have been 15th or lower for about 6 years now, with one of the lower budgets and and one of the favourites for relegation. To us maybe it wouldn't be a huge surprise with this team but to the league it would. Most punters probably don't even look at the team anymore before putting Oldham as favourites for relegation

Agree if we can't get top half minimum with this squad we never will

You weren't allowed on your own with shoe laces or guitar strings 2 weeks ago

What a load of utter horse :censored: :lol:

We've signed Dunn & Burn, kept Forte, Cassidy looks good and Kelly has done a couple of decent interviews since those dark, dark days......

Clearly the bookies, journos and pundits would be surprised.

Finishing 9th in the table would not be failure; it would be progress.

Who said anything about being happy with 16th? Mind you, if we've got 5 games left and we're sat in 21st I'd be delighted if that's where we ended up.

And yes, I think it's perfectly reasonable not to 'expect' to get in the play offs given how often we've reached them over the past 20 years.

Who said anything about being happy with 16th? Mind you, if we've got 5 games left and we're sat in 21st I'd be delighted if that's where we ended up.

And yes, I think it's perfectly reasonable not to 'expect' to get in the play offs given how often we've reached them over the past 20 years.

If with 5 games to go we are lying in 21st then I hope there is someone else in charge!!

What's that got to do with me saying it wouldn't be a "surprise" given the squad we've got?

"Some of you have been conditioned to be happy with 16th and expect nothing better."

You were the one who raised the point about expectation.

"Nobody else would be surprised with the squad we've got."

Depends who you mean by 'nobody'...

If with 5 games to go we are lying in 21st then I hope there is someone else in charge!!

There will be! Simon usually brings about change when we are staring down that particular barrell.

It's a far better squad and first eleven than last year and last years would/should have made the playoffs were it not for off field shenanighans....

Looking at the squad as a whole we have probably loosened the purse strings a little and have a bigger budget, we have kept the big players from last year Forte, Winchester, Jones, Kelly, Wilson and Mills and added Dunn a player who has a superior pedigree than any of Bury's signings who so many were getting jealous of over a month ago Cassidy, Burn and Green who all have potential and fully fit Croft who we know loves it here, and we know we will get a 110% from.

I think really we are within our rights to expect a little more from this squad than from other squads ours from the last 6-7 years. Its not often we have a whole squad in place 3 weeks ahead of the date the transfer window SLAMS SHUT!

Don't think the Latics board would be happy with 9th.... We've held on to our better players and have the best squad we've had for a long long time, I'm pretty certain this time around that anything other than being in or around the playoff places for most/all of the season would be classed as failure!

Don't think the Latics board would be happy with 9th.... We've held on to our better players and have the best squad we've had for a long long time, I'm pretty certain this time around that anything other than being in or around the playoff places for most/all of the season would be classed as failure!

So far. Still think we're going to lose one of either Forte or Kelly before the window's out... Agreed though, if we keep what we've got now and are lucky with injuries to the back 4, Corney will rightly expect us to be having a good go at least.

That would be setting the bar very high for a first-time manager's first season. Such expectations might have been reasonable if they'd given the job to someone like Dowie.

That would be setting the bar very high for a first-time manager's first season. Such expectations might have been reasonable if they'd given the job to someone like Dowie.

Aye, I think a season of quiet progression on and off the pitch is the best that can be hoped for, nowt wrong with that.