Mark Yeats

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd guess that this confirms Forte will play as a striker in the short term.

Unless he's in a two, how can Kelly justify that? The guy is probably the most wingeriest winger in the league, just put him on the left and let him beat the full back for 90 minutes.

We are convinced that he should not be played centrally. He scored his goals from wide left. He does not hold the ball up well. He is a runner onto the through pass. Shrewsbury limited him to one shot off target.

We now have a bulging middle. One centre back plus Burn on loan plus Dieng and loads of similarly built strikers who to be blunt are not good enough.

Forte plays on the last man, if we play to his strengths he would be miles better upfront than on the wing. Hoofing it to him is just pointless. If you put Yaya Toure upfront he'd score goals, doesn't mean he's a striker.

He ghosts in from the wing and plays on the shoulder of the full back. That is where he finds his space. He scored 15 goals and terrorised multiple full backs from the wing in 30 games last season.

This 'he's fast and can finish so he must be played up front' won't do.

It *might* be just about okay to play him up there with a partner, but why move him out of a position where he's getting a goal every two games and is able to cause more problems to defenders?

He's scored a goal from the wing already from 2 appearances there, he's been played up front twice so far and hasn't scored. Unless he scores 1 in 2 until Cassidy comes back, we'll see him prove he's a winger.

I find the 'Forte scores his goals from the left wing' a little bit of a myth.

He played his best football last season up top with Jabo IMO and his goals playing off the last man against Sheff Utd away and Cov at home were superb.

I often feel he is lazy on the left wing. Don't get me wrong he does track back but what I mean is he is lazy in wanting to be involved and make himself available for possession, going missing for long periods in the game.

At times in the first half on Saturday his movement attempting to get behind their back four was excellent. Up top alone he will tire by the 60th minute and I do think he needs to be up front with a big man, however I don't subscribe to the idea he is league one's best left winger.

Yeates is a good signing. Excellent at Colchester a few years back earning him his time in the Championship. We have more strength in that midfield than we have had in years and really need to take advantage of this.

I find the 'Forte scores his goals from the left wing' a little bit of a myth.

He played his best football last season up top with Jabo IMO and his goals playing off the last man against Sheff Utd away and Cov at home were superb.

I often feel he is lazy on the left wing. Don't get me wrong he does track back but what I mean is he is lazy in wanting to be involved and make himself available for possession, going missing for long periods in the game.

At times in the first half on Saturday his movement attempting to get behind their back four was excellent. Up top alone he will tire by the 60th minute and I do think he needs to be up front with a big man, however I don't subscribe to the idea he is league one's best left winger.

Yeates is a good signing. Excellent at Colchester a few years back earning him his time in the Championship. We have more strength in that midfield than we have had in years and really need to take advantage of this.

He scored 7 in the first 13 from the wing and generally destroyed the full back most games. He was immense.

Yes he did well up front in a few games against Coventry and Sheffield United, but we had a team that was perfectly suited to any second striker at time. Jabo was in great form and we had, in Daniel Johnson, perhaps the best creative midfielder in the whole league. If we had those conditions again then maybe we would be okay up front, but at the moment we don't have a Jabo and he's going to be put up front on his own, which we have seen him struggle to play.

We have so many good midfielders but you can't play them all. We have seen Winchester left out after being one of our best players last season, Forte has been benched, David Dunn too, and players some forecast for the starting 11 haven't even made the bench. I don't think Yeates walks into our team by any stretch.

The point is not that all his goals were scored from the left wing but that the goals were scored when that was his position. We had in addition to Forte another striker for the centre backs to deal with and this gave him the freedom he didn't have against Shrewsbury and incidentally all those games played late on last season when he was used as a striker and stopped scoring.

The point is not that all his goals were scored from the left wing but that the goals were scored when that was his position. We had in addition to Forte another striker for the centre backs to deal with and this gave him the freedom he didn't have against Shrewsbury and incidentally all those games played late on last season when he was used as a striker and stopped scoring.

This is not in anyway invoking "Pawel's law", but a lot of his goals were penalties. His position doesn't really come into the reckoning with them...

He scored 7 in the first 13 from the wing and generally destroyed the full back most games. He was immense.

4 of which were penalities?

My opinion early in the season was that he was a good finisher in a hot patch and rarely saw him play that well throughout the matches (not a bad thing while he's scoring, but was a problem when he stopped). I struggle to remember to many occasions when he was 'immense' early in the season.

Doesn't more attention get drawn to Forte's "poor" spell because that poor spell is measured simply in goals, as was his "great form" at the beginning of the season?

James Wilson, eg, was similarly great then poor at different stages of the season but that receives far less attention......

is he still penalty taker as he was on the pitch when Kelly scored wasnt he?

that should see him just about score his average 5/6 per season instead of last seasons one off.

I wonder if that was partly to keep Forte's name away from the top of the League One goalscoring table between now and the transfer deadline??

Not sure about that. many were clamouring for Wilson to be dropped last season although that was for OWTBs favourite 'bad attitude' not poor form

strikers/forwards/forte are measured on goals unforunatley which does not bode well for any forwards players at Latics at the moment

Did Forte miss a penalty or two last season (maybe in a shoot out) - he was getting closer to missing each time.

I know DP did miss one at Gillingham.

Kelly took an excellent penalty in the shoot out last season and is our most confident player IMO.

Did Forte miss a penalty or two last season (maybe in a shoot out) - he was getting closer to missing each time.

I know DP did miss one at Gillingham.

Kelly took an excellent penalty in the shoot out last season and is our most confident player IMO.

I was convinced he was going to miss after grabbing the ball like he did.....

I count 7 from what looks like a central strikers position and 3 where he's clearly coming from left wing (possibly 4?).

I'm not having that. He's got the wit to come in from the wing when there's the chance of an opening rather than staying out wide, it only makes him harder to play against. I thought he was great operating slightly inside threatening both the center back and right back.