kelly 6 games in

should kelly go  

187 members have voted

1. 1. do you think kelly should be relieved of his duties

• yes immediately
    • give him another 4 games
    • give him until christmas
    • no he is the man to take us forward

I never want us to lose but a loss tomorrow may be the best for this club. Had major doubts and those doubts have increased over his tenure despite it being short.

Switching to two up front now is a no win situation for him. He should have stuck to his convictions regardless of what we as he fans want him to do.

If he loses then he could be sacked but if he wins then it wasn't his decision and the spotlight has become even more intense waiting his next defeat.

Maybe he simply saw that we were miles better with two upfront last week same as we did.......??

Edited by HarryBosch

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never want us to lose but a loss tomorrow may be the best for this club. Had major doubts and those doubts have increased over his tenure despite it being short.

Switching to two up front now is a no win situation for him. He should have stuck to his convictions regardless of what we as he fans want him to do.

If he loses then he could be sacked but if he wins then it wasn't his decision and the spotlight has become even more intense waiting his next defeat. His only chance to succeed in the role is a convincing run of wins.

The wrong appointment - someone who should have cut his teeth got longer as a coach gaining experience and a profile before becoming a manager. At this level you only have a chance if you're a recognised name as a player or proven as a coach/manager. He had neither and on a hiding to nothing

Who was Karl Robinson when he was appointed? Mark Cooper was a struggling non league manager (albeit gaining experience there) before Swindon.

Not sure who people think we will be getting if Kelly gets the elbow, forget about Dowie/Redfearn or anyone like that, they want money and budgets that we don't pay.

Micky Adams/Phil Brown type? Folk were turning their noses up at them last time.

Who was Karl Robinson when he was appointed? Mark Cooper was a struggling non league manager (albeit gaining experience there) before Swindon.

Not sure who people think we will be getting if Kelly gets the elbow, forget about Dowie/Redfearn or anyone like that, they want money and budgets that we don't pay.

Micky Adams/Phil Brown type? Folk were turning their noses up at them last time.

If we go after a "type" I would prefer we go with your suggestion from paragraph 1 than paragraph 3.

If the players are behind the new man and the board are too then eventually we will get results and the fans will follow. The fact we are entertaining getting rid suggests all is not well behind the scenes.

Even if he played 1 up top tomorrow and won 6-0 half you lot would say that's cos Peterborough had sacked their manager. Poor guy can't win. I hope if the ones who want him out get their own way he goes on to be really successful just to :censored: you all off

Thanks for that Darren.

I want him sacked if only to stop all the really :censored:, totally inaccurate comparisons with other managers....

Even if he played 1 up top tomorrow and won 6-0 half you lot would say that's cos Peterborough had sacked their manager. Poor guy can't win. I hope if the ones who want him out get their own way he goes on to be really successful just to :censored: you all off

Yes he can.

If we win 6-0, or win well at all, I'll gladly eat my words of this last week.

I doubt we could be bad enough for you to do similar though.....

John Sheridan, maybe?

I know fans who used to apply for the vacant managers job at Latics when it came up for a laugh (and get rejection letters back..). If they did it now I think they might have half a chance of their application being taken seriously!

Edited by JoeP

John Sheridan, maybe?

I know fans who used to apply for the vacant managers job at Latics when it came up for a laugh (and get rejection letters back..). If they did it now I think they might have half a chance of their application being taken seriously!

He couldn't get Plymouth promoted from League 2 so by OWTB logic that makes him :censored:.

Its a strange one going to a game so early in a season not being bothered if we get beat, I actually think a defeat and a sacking tomorrow will see us have a better season.

how the :censored: do you work that one out! Holden put back in charge on the cheap ,and we all remember how his :censored: negative tatics got us,but nobody was crying out to Hang him after a handfull of games!! Edited by oafc21

Yes he can.

If we win 6-0, or win well at all, I'll gladly eat my words of this last week.

I doubt we could be bad enough for you to do similar though.....

Once he's been given time to try what he wants, tweak things, learn from his mistakes, say November if we're near bottom 4 I would say we need a change. If we're in top half he's doing well at that stage so I'd say stick with him

The concern for me is the attendances. We needed a boost from a good start and the opening of a new stand but have had neither. I fear all the momentum for the new season has been lost.

We have a very good squad in relation to our budget and should be performing much better than we are, a couple more quick defeats and Kelly will be gone. It would be tough on the guy but it's a tough business and we can't afford to hang around until Christmas in the hope he'll come good!

We need to perform better at home and we need to score a goal or two, our home form has been dreadful for as long as I can remember and shows no sign of improving. I think one way or another the next two games will decide Kelly's fate.

I would be sorry to see him sacked after such a short time but we simply cannot continue to stagnate in this division any longer.

The concern for me is the attendances. We needed a boost from a good start and the opening of a new stand but have had neither. I fear all the momentum for the new season has been lost.

We have a very good squad in relation to our budget and should be performing much better than we are, a couple more quick defeats and Kelly will be gone. It would be tough on the guy but it's a tough business and we can't afford to hang around until Christmas in the hope he'll come good!

We need to perform better at home and we need to score a goal or two, our home form has been dreadful for as long as I can remember and shows no sign of improving. I think one way or another the next two games will decide Kelly's fate.

I would be sorry to see him sacked after such a short time but we simply cannot continue to stagnate in this division any longer.

What makes anyone think anyone else would improve things? Our form/performances/time stuck in this division haven't started just because DK is manager or just since TTA took over Edited by bluear

I dont like the idea of sacking him after 6 games either but look at it in daylight. What exactly has he brought?

Tactically inept

No plan B

Little if no communication from the bench

No clear plan off the pitch

No entertainment (for me its a results business but this one will affect attendances)

You cant see what he is trying to achieve.

Even if he does come good We have a throwback situation to dave penney or ronnie moore. If the fans are against you its destined for failure. Might as well throw the towel in now and give us half a chance of a good season rather than writing off yet another

Karl Robinson was an experienced and for successful coach with Liverpool youth before moving to Blackburn to do similar and the was Assistant Manager to Paul Ince at MK Dons. Ince struggled but the club saw in Robinson that he had the qualities to make the step up. Karl was well recognised in the football world as a coach rather player and coached for a while before taking the step up.

Mark Cooper had a long career in Leagues 2, 1 and Championship before hanging his boots up. During that time he did his badges whilst still playing at Tamworth (my local team so I know a lot about Mark) and assisting Darron Gee when he succeeded Darron Gee as Manager. Whilst at Tamworth he got them to the 3rd round of FA Cup two season in a row - like us reaching the a major cup semi-final or JPT final I'm guessing - but struggled in league. He left and went to Kettering Town securing promotion for them and a 4th round tie in FA Cup. Peterborough headhunted him then where he failed and went back to non-league gaining success before Swindon poached him.

Not the two greatest comparisons but what I'm trying to get at is Kelly hasn't had any length of service as a coach prior to becoming our manager. A lot of young managers obviously don't but they have had a decent length of playing career at our level and most do their badges whilst playing and being mentored by managers over a decent length of time.

From what I've heard or read about Kelly he's had neither and his resume does show someone who's coached very briefly and moved from club to club in that time so not built up any real experience. He could have done that at Sunderland but jumped ship to us within weeks of starting there.

You can't fault his ambition to climb the ladder quickly and he obviously has self belief but they alone don't make you successful unless you can inspire others with your self belief and confidence; being determined in your plans and ideas with the ability to effectively communicate to the team your ideas and remaing focused with players buying in to your ideology.

He hasn't communicated well in media, the body language of players in matches when they look for guidance from the bench suggests a breakdown in that communication and just this week he's conceded that his formation needs changing. This is a formation and tactics that he claims he's been formulating and grooming over the years following his scouting missions overseas and this league apparently. Now it should be recognised at this point and commended that he's quick to recognise his mistake rather than doggedly continue when all around recognise it isn't working.

Let's see what happens this afternoon but I'm increasingly getting the feeling that he's currently out his depth and could become a great coach rather than manager over time and I stress the word time but not at the detriment of the success of my club. We don't have time - we've been in this league since before the invention of wifi and mass arrival of mobile phones - and the club is withering without any success or development.

We have a fan base who quite rightly need success soon and Kelly not possessing any qualities to immediately impress or inspire has resulted in the majority expecting and waiting for him to fail. Forget the bad taste left when Johnson departed but Johnson had begun to deliver that good feeling and hope - we had a major opportunity to build on that with the next appointment and left Holden in caretaker charge whilst we took time to recruit. The board took a major gamble and it was major (although I suspect he was the cheapest option by a mile) and it's not paying off and even in the short time you can say with some confidence that it's not going to pay off. The board have failed and I feel sorry that Kelly is the victim here.

This

I dont like the idea of sacking him after 6 games either but look at it in daylight. What exactly has he brought?

Tactically inept

No plan B

Little if no communication from the bench

No clear plan off the pitch

No entertainment (for me its a results business but this one will affect attendances)

You cant see what he is trying to achieve.

Even if he does come good We have a throwback situation to dave penney or ronnie moore. If the fans are against you its destined for failure. Might as well throw the towel in now and give us half a chance of a good season rather than writing off yet another

In his interview Corney looked a bit pissed off. It seems he did not expect the delay in opening the ageing North Stand because the expected revenue was factored in to the decision not to sell any players during the window, Forte rumour aside. Corney like us seems to believe we have a better squad than last year and is also a Winchester fan.

With Barry being Barry, the team wining only one league game, losing both cup games and no income from the ageing North Stand all is not going well and Financial Fair Play might start to bite.

Darren Kelly finds himself at the centre of the problem because the team does have to win more games - a loss against Peterborough is unthinkable . I'm not in favour of sacking him because I have seen glimpses of what I think he is trying to do. Sadly everything seems to be against him and I can't see him being allowed the time Joe Royle was given.