• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mention it because they are enjoying their most successful period ever and can still only muster 2000 fans for a home game. We had people coming out of the woodwork when in a similar position in the early 90's, Rochdale really do seem to have a tiny fanbase.

But it also goes to show what a well run club they must be, with a great management team in place.

How on earth is promotion to the Premier League and competing in League 1 'a similar position'?

The relative successes of a club are irrelevant to a City/United fan...

Post above is spot on.

They're genuinely more likeable than us in every aspect, and I think I hate us more than I could ever hate them...

Stop going to Latics & stop posting if you hate Latics.

It's very simple, go and watch them if you prefer them

I don't hate dale & I'm pissed off that we are below them in the league but I love Oldham Athletic

Dale are at their pinnacle! League 1 This is their very best and good on them but after 10 games it means nothing.

Their fans are watching happlily. It's a nice environment to play confident football in because they don't demand anymore. 2 weeks at Boundary Park those same players wouldnt be able to pass :censored:in water due to the negative atmosphere and a growing portion of fans who can't wait for a mistake to be made or just vocally bitch from minute one slagging players who have only worn the blue shirt for 10 minutes.

What are they 9 points ahead of us with 30+ games to go? What happens when their form drops and ours picks up. Will you love Latics again!

It's not far away, change your name to NewDale and go to Spotland. You will be much happier im sure,until they draw a few anyway.

More likeable than us!? What a load if :censored:in :censored:e!!

I don't hate dale & I'm pissed off that we are below them in the league but I love Oldham Athletic

Dale are at their pinnacle! League 1 This is their very best and good on them but after 10 games it means nothing.

Their fans are watching happlily. It's a nice environment to play confident football in because they don't demand anymore. 2 weeks at Boundary Park those same players wouldnt be able to pass :censored:in water due to the negative atmosphere and a growing portion of fans who can't wait for a mistake to be made or just vocally bitch from minute one slagging players who have only worn the blue shirt for 10 minutes.

What are they 9 points ahead of us with 30+ games to go? What happens when their form drops and ours picks up. Will you love Latics again!

It's not far away, change your name to NewDale and go to Spotland. You will be much happier im sure,until they draw a few anyway.

You want more fans to stop going?

So the only problem with Latics is the fans, yeah?

I want them to shut up moaning about everything!

So how is Dunn pissing you off personally. Which player do you know?

Mills,Coleman or Winchester or an other?

Like I have posted previous I wont disclose who I know and who provides the info, I personally dont like Dunn for undermining the previous manager, creating clicks in the dressing room and in my opinion forcing himself into a job at Kellys expense. I dont blame Dunn for this he is looking out for himself, I blame the board who appointed a fragile manager in Kelly and then went on to undermine and effectively make Kellys position untenable.

Like I have posted previous I wont disclose who I know and who provides the info, I personally dont like Dunn for undermining the previous manager, creating clicks in the dressing room and in my opinion forcing himself into a job at Kellys expense. I dont blame Dunn for this he is looking out for himself, I blame the board who appointed a fragile manager in Kelly and then went on to undermine and effectively make Kellys position untenable.

To be fair, you can't point the finger solely at Dunn. The Board clearly made a conscious effort to undermine Kelly by bringing Dunn in.

Whilst the way he was treated wasn't right, Kelly was never going to work out. He should never have been appointed in the first place. My concern is that Dunn is similarly underqualified for the job.

So the only problem with Latics is the fans, yeah?

I didn't day that. It's easier to play football in that atmosphere. Our home form has been :censored:e for a few years now! We play better football way from home in front of Oldham Fans who actually support and encourage. Coincidence?

In fact the best performance and win I've seen in 2 years was at Dalw when Latics fans backed and encouraged every kickmlast season. Boundary Park is full of tossers who can't wait for the players to fail on a Saturday. It can't help...

Edited by palmer1

Speaking to a few dale fans that I know - the expectations are similar to ours - they have their share of 'mainstand moaners' - first mis-placed pass and groans begin - hill is always moaning in the local paper at what he calls 'terrorists' being negative etc.

last night they used 'zonal marking' and luckily they were 3 up quickly because from what the fans I spoke to said - it didn't work.

the grass is not always greener....

It's personal though. Without checking post history because why the :censored: would I but I'm betting you wanted Kelly gone! Many were not happy about Dunn including me tbh but since a certain group of players have been dropped you start mentioning clicks in the dressing room and undermineing a manager who was out of his depth.

Whoever this player is giving info should grow a pair buckle down and work his way back into the team because if all he is going to do is tell tales then :censored: him! Maybe the manager us right about people being soft...

:censored: me, you take everything seriously, don't you...

Your incessant club apologist attitude is boring and misguided. Just watch us on a Saturday and realise positivity is delusional.

Edited by NewBlue

They do seem well run,I wonder what the directorship structure is at Rochdale, have they a an outright owner as such?

They have many different shareholders BP who all have complete access to their detailed Annual Accounts, which I have seen and they are quite solvent.

They also have a 40% share in the Company that owns their ground and are making efforts to buy out the 40% owned by the Rugby League Association who took that over from Rochdale Hornets. I think that the remaining 20% is owned by the Local Authority.

Keith Hill is on a good number and gets a share of transfer fees received on top-We cannot afford him!

Rochdale actually negotiate good prices for players because they have money in the bank and no large debt owed to any creditor/director/ shareholder.

:censored: me, you take everything seriously, don't you...

Your incessant club apologist attitude is boring and misguided. Just watch us on a Saturday and realise positivity is delusional.

Your constant moaning and whiniging is boring but it doesn't stop you even though plenty have said we have improved each of the last 3 games.

So many it seems no longer watch Latics without an impartial view. They don't like something so that is the focus and they won't let go off. It's sad really...

Funny how last night I posted that there are signs for optimism and you're arguing against me on another thread now about how we weren't that good last season...

The reality is, however, over the past 7 years, the ones with the negative perceptions have been correct more often than not. This idea that somehow if fans were deluded in optimism we would be a better team is peculiar. We've been :censored: and fans have called it that way - on the forums and pubs and with their feet; when/if we're good, fans will also call it that way, too. That there is something inherently negative about Oldham fans just isn't true - there is a diehard bunch that follow the team in hope rather than expectation. Each club has their own particular circumstances, and Latics have currently one of the worst in the football league, and that is reflected in the opinions of the supporters. If Rochdale, Derby, Spurs or any other fan-base experienced the exact same set of circumstances, they would be no different.

I would say we will be neither it just depends if your happy with that, 4000 have decided they are not.

So 4000 fans have stopped going because of our league position? It might account for some. But....

Nothing to do with:

-The recession

-People growing up and getting busy jobs and lives

-People growing up and having families

-People moving away

-People losing their jobs

-Lee Hughes

-Flattening the Lookers

-Moving fans out of the Chaddy

-And the only thing that has made me consider stopping going in the last few years - the toxic atmosphere at home games

Funny how last night I posted that there are signs for optimism and you're arguing against me on another thread now about how we weren't that good last season...

The reality is, however, over the past 7 years, the ones with the negative perceptions have been correct more often than not. This idea that somehow if fans were deluded in optimism we would be a better team is peculiar. We've been :censored: and fans have called it that way - on the forums and pubs and with their feet; when/if we're good, fans will also call it that way, too. That there is something inherently negative about Oldham fans just isn't true - there is a diehard bunch that follow the team in hope rather than expectation. Each club has their own particular circumstances, and Latics have currently one of the worst in the football league, and that is reflected in the opinions of the supporters. If Rochdale, Derby, Spurs or any other fan-base experienced the exact same set of circumstances, they would be no different.

The same fans with negative perceptions are correct more often than not?

Hmmm I don't remember being relegated as is predicted by them every single year and as they are predicting again

And you were using last season to try and show how far we have fallen. I just pointed out that we were not a top 6 side last season we whereas mid table side as I think we will be this year.

I try to be positive but I will call It how it is good or bad.

Edited by palmer1

I'm what you'd call a sporadic fan these days. Only been to two this season. I still care, I still come on here every day, I regularly post, I regularly tweet about Latics, I regularly keep up to date with transfers and the goings on at our club. But, come Saturday at 3pm, I just can't be arsed making the short walk over the car park to Boundary Park. Can't quite put my finger on why. None of the reasons Maddog posted seem applicable. I just can't be arsed...

I'm what you'd call a sporadic fan these days. Only been to two this season. I still care, I still come on here every day, I regularly post, I regularly tweet about Latics, I regularly keep up to date with transfers and the goings on at our club. But, come Saturday at 3pm, I just can't be arsed making the short walk over the car park to Boundary Park. Can't quite put my finger on why. None of the reasons Maddog posted seem applicable. I just can't be arsed...

You've grown up and can no longer get in for U16!

Oh, and had a baby a few weeks ago.