Oldham Nil

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheffield United were a poor team even with eleven men and the game, and all the rewards that went with it, were there for the taking. All it needed was a show of strong character, determination and willpower and its unforgivable that the players failed so miserably on all counts.

I can't understand how Dunn is achieving more by being on the touchline instead of playing and setting an example.

Sheffield United were a poor team even with eleven men and the game, and all the rewards that went with it, were there for the taking. All it needed was a show of strong character, determination and willpower and its unforgivable that the players failed so miserably on all counts.

I can't understand how Dunn is achieving more by being on the touchline instead of playing and setting an example.

No doubt their fans will be asking the same questions, we were there for the taking etc.

If only the game was so simple.

I can't understand how even a mediocre coach can't get more out of those players.

Badly organised.

Poorly motivated.

The players are paralysed by a year of failure, unwilling to take any risks.

A new manager/coach might eek out some improvement, dramatic improvement I'm not so sure.

The motivation has been very worrying.

How many dreadful sides have we seen over the years that get a new manager and we see at least some spark, even if just for a couple of games?

When Dunn came in we got nothing, he doesn't seem to have inspired any motivation whatsoever.

Some think the team is poor, but current form has us down as the worst in the league, are they really that bad?

Edited by dec666

It was that bit of quality which beat us.

Generally it was two poor sides. Philliskirk and Winchester had some nice touches but there was no impetus. We kept going backwards. It was the classic case of a team with no confidence.

Cassidy running the channels was not working. It took us too long to change it. Dieng was commanding, which was surprising, B Wilson is bad at football but he does give a decent contribution. With Mills we have witnessed the capitulation of a player. Jones quiet, Kelly once again very effective.

Ultimately wasted the golden chances though because we had no composure.

Always think a lot of motivation has to come from within, even it is just a case of putting yourself in the shop window.

Not seen us for a few weeks but nothing I saw before suggested we have been badly organised under Dunn, more just badly lacking in pace and invention.

Generally it was two poor sides. Philliskirk and Winchester had some nice touches but there was no impetus. We kept going backwards. It was the classic case of a team with no confidence.

Cassidy running the channels was not working. It took us too long to change it. Dieng was commanding, which was surprising, B Wilson is bad at football but he does give a decent contribution. With Mills we have witnessed the capitulation of a player. Jones quiet, Kelly once again very effective.

Hopefully Wellens will come into the team now and give us that forward momentum. He could easily be someone we sign permanently after the loan and will have a confidence and swagger that might transfer to some of the others.

That annoys me more than anything, no player should be quiet in a game, especially a cup tie.

The confidence to get on the ball is something we lack at the moment (though yesterday was better than the previous week in that respect) and Wellens should help us a lot.

The confidence for full backs to take a risk and make a run to help a mate out is similarly lacking and Dummigan has highlighted just how much Mills is struggling at the moment.

Both sides yesterday lacked confidence but, much as it goes against some of the general narrative, I'd didn't think we were awful yesterday.

Didn't we throw the kitchen sink at Southend and concede 5? We threw everything at Barnsley and lost in the last minute.

Confidence is at rock bottom.

Are we suggesting that Dunn sends them out to draw 0-0? That's ridiculous.

It's far too simplistic to say "well that team attacks, why can't we?"

We clearly have a deep rooted confidence problem. And there's no patience for even a slow up turn in form should it happen. We'd need about 2 months of winning, attacking football before a lot of people would think it anything other than a fluke.

What's the answer though? Is there even a realistic answer? I don't think Dunn will be sacked but if he is would any of the realistic candidates mentioned on here unite and excite the fans? Can't think of any.

I think Dunn will be here to the end of the season at least. And I'd like to see if he can do any transfer deals when the window opens. One thing he said resonated with me - about players coasting because they think they've made it because they have a contract in league 1. I don't want to be a home for the lower league unloved who are just happy to have a contract and a hug off the manager. I'd rather us sign hungry players who want to succeed and play at a higher level.

We're a selling club, as just about any other club is but none of them play like they're being scouted, Kelly apart. That's an attitude thing, not a coaching thing.

Just seen Whitehawk bombarding the Dagenham goal getting a deserved equaliser, I wasn't at Sheffield but did we throw the kitchen sink at them in the last 20 minutes?

Bombing balls into the box, but we didn't seem to have a plan once they lost a man.

Freed up loads of space for Kelly to pick up the ball in the centre circle and ping passes, but the movement ahead of him was limited.

It also didn't help that our full backs are generally poor on the ball.

Didn't we throw the kitchen sink at Southend and concede 5? We threw everything at Barnsley and lost in the last minute.

Confidence is at rock bottom.

Are we suggesting that Dunn sends them out to draw 0-0? That's ridiculous.

It's far too simplistic to say "well that team attacks, why can't we?"

We clearly have a deep rooted confidence problem. And there's no patience for even a slow up turn in form should it happen. We'd need about 2 months of winning, attacking football before a lot of people would think it anything other than a fluke.

What's the answer though? Is there even a realistic answer? I don't think Dunn will be sacked but if he is would any of the realistic candidates mentioned on here unite and excite the fans? Can't think of any.

I think Dunn will be here to the end of the season at least. And I'd like to see if he can do any transfer deals when the window opens. One thing he said resonated with me - about players coasting because they think they've made it because they have a contract in league 1. I don't want to be a home for the lower league unloved who are just happy to have a contract and a hug off the manager. I'd rather us sign hungry players who want to succeed and play at a higher level.

We're a selling club, as just about any other club is but none of them play like they're being scouted, Kelly apart. That's an attitude thing, not a coaching thing.

Great post, absolutely spot on IMO.

There has been no noticeable change in the players since Dunn took over which suggest they are stuck in the

downward spiral of lack of confidence they had under Kelly.

In these situations it is either plod on until we get that scrappy 1-0 win and then build from there or change the manager.

Dunn has had 2 wins on the bounce last month and we have gone down hill rapidly from there which only leaves the second option!!

He is just not good enough to lift the players and must be replaced before it's too late.

You can't replace 18 players , so replace the manager and his coach !!!

There has been no noticeable change in the players since Dunn took over which suggest they are stuck in the

downward spiral of lack of confidence they had under Kelly.

In these situations it is either plod on until we get that scrappy 1-0 win and then build from there or change the manager.

Dunn has had 2 wins on the bounce last month and we have gone down hill rapidly from there which only leaves the second option!!

He is just not good enough to lift the players and must be replaced before it's too late.

You can't replace 18 players , so replace the manager and his coach !!!

Spot on, top post