Rumour season again

No bad thing in my view. Fans already too disbursed within a stadium that's currently too big for us. Upper section of chaddy shut have been closed when it was our home end and the small section of the RRE should not be used.

Are people really mourning the loss of the main stand upper? I suspect that the same people were against the failsworth move. We wouldn't be in this situation if that had come off.

I was against the Failsworth move from day one and with a capacity of 12000 by your reckoning that would have also been to big for us wouldn't it?

I think Failsworth would have been a bloody disaster and we could have been in a worse situation, especially with a team like we have now!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No I am saying that fans are too disbursed relative to the size of our ground and fan base. It makes sense on many levels to concentrate fans into smaller areas.

May be a sweeping generalisation but that's my prediction. Guess will never know if I am right. My point being that times change and we got to move on. No point being nostalgic about the crumbling main stand. That's life mate.

I agree take the RRE for example, why is it necessary to open up the whole stand for around 1000 fans, the section occupied by the Athleticos should be taped off and they should be situated behind the goal, is there really any need for a couple of hundred fans to be dotted around the small section get them involved, for many visiting for the first time with free tickets they must feel almost ostracised.

I agree take the RRE for example, why is it necessary to open up the whole stand for around 1000 fans, the section occupied by the Athleticos should be taped off and they should be situated behind the goal, is there really any need for a couple of hundred fans to be dotted around the small section get them involved, for many visiting for the first time with free tickets they must feel almost ostracised.

What difference would that make?

Oafc1955. We will of course never know but there are few teams who have not gone onto bigger and better things on the back of a stadium move. At the very least it has prevented most going into decline. That's a simple fact you cannot disagree with. Obviously that doesn't mean that you move at all costs but you have to move with the times. Nostalgia can cost you.

On the capacity point please try and see the context to the point I am making. 13k is currently too big based on our current situation. My point being that I don't believe we would be in the current position had we moved. Just cos 13k is too big now does not mean 12k would have been too big at failsworth. You are comparing apples and pears there.

Are people really mourning the loss of the main stand upper? I suspect that the same people were against the failsworth move. We wouldn't be in this situation if that had come off.

Main stand upper is arguably the best view in the ground and you don't get soaked when it rains a bit.

If it was shut for say one season whilst being done up most fans will be fine with that who sit there. If it's just shut then I'd guess the club will lose at least a 3 figure number of fans.

I think it was mentioned that the Athleticos were put there so they didn't get in the view of those who use the disabled spaces at the top since they stand up all game. I agree about the small section though, however if the cost barely differs then not much point.

Oafc1955. We will of course never know but there are few teams who have not gone onto bigger and better things on the back of a stadium move. At the very least it has prevented most going into decline. That's a simple fact you cannot disagree with. Obviously that doesn't mean that you move at all costs but you have to move with the times. Nostalgia can cost you.

On the capacity point please try and see the context to the point I am making. 13k is currently too big based on our current situation. My point being that I don't believe we would be in the current position had we moved. Just cos 13k is too big now does not mean 12k would have been too big at failsworth. You are comparing apples and pears there.

I think Corney would still have made the same :censored: decisions about Kelly and Dunn whether we was at Failsworth or not.

I'm not so sure it's viable with all the fuss it would entail. By that I mean it's one thing to demolish a stand that had nothing behind it, but something totally different to do it - or even refurb it bearing mind all the guff that'd go with that, scaffolding and taped off safety areas - when there's houses directly behind and a great deal of access required by the clubs neighbours not withstanding the access required for the heli pad that is at the bottom for the hospital ( the road is gritted for that simple reason ) .. I think it'll keep going, in fact I hope so as it's not only the best view but also the best place to keep warm n dry!

There's a lot of 'creatures of habit' ie pensioners who have been going in there possibly longer than some of us have been alive, I doubt they'll be up for a move to another stand.

Edited by thetramdriver

So are you..........Failsworth was too far from home and all but for the post code was In Manchester. A ridiculous choice of site for a new stadium and a case of anywhere will do enabling TTA to utilise the BP land for a housing development!

A new stadium does not guarantee a change in fortune.....

I dont think, Chesterfield, Shrewsbury, Colchester, Leyton Orient, Northampton and Notts Co have had too much success with their new grounds to date!

So are you..........Failsworth was too far from home and all but for the post code was In Manchester. A ridiculous choice of site for a new stadium and a case of anywhere will do enabling TTA to utilise the BP land for a housing development!

I dont think, Chesterfield, Shrewsbury, Colchester, Leyton Orient, Northampton and Notts Co have had too much success with their new grounds to date!

Think you've got Orient and Notts County a little wrong., plus Chesterfield have a had a lot of relative success.

Orient and notts county don't have new grounds, though they have had changes in owners , with very strange decisions

Orient 3 or 4 managers in the last year

Notts with the Sven , sol Campbell episode

?

Chesterfield - have won promotion twice and made the playoffs once in our league since moving grounds.

Shrewsbury - same as above without the playoffs bit.

Colchester - fair enough

Orient - haven't changed grounds.

Northampton - changed grounds back in the 90's I think, won promotion twice since and might be doing it again.

Notts Co. - haven't changed grounds.

Odd choice of examples.

?

Chesterfield - have won promotion twice and made the playoffs once in our league since moving grounds.

Shrewsbury - same as above without the playoffs bit.

Colchester - fair enough

Orient - haven't changed grounds.

Northampton - changed grounds back in the 90's I think, won promotion twice since and might be doing it again.

Notts Co. - haven't changed grounds.

Odd choice of examples.

Promotion after relegation, none are much better off.

There are very few examples where new grounds have not galvanised a club. Colchester have had a season in the champ have they not? Shrews came back from the brink on the back of their move and I would give my right arm to have had the recent success of Chesterfield. Northampton are riding high in league 2.

Doesn't guarantee success but Darlington aside name one team which has ever gone into decline oafc style since a stadium move.

Ps get over the M postcode thing would you. Most people aged 40 and below don't care about such things and the younger ones (ie the future fan base) certainly don't

I think any idea that has the potential to alienate fans given our current position needs very careful consideration.

If a team is doing well / you already have a good attendance, then losing a few hundred due to a stand change etc is probably acceptable.

However with the club and support at its lowest ebb for a generation or more, upsetting 300-500 fans could be very damaging.

Have used the main stand a couple of times season waiting for the North Stand (cannot believe we haven't got this sponsored yet) and it did feel like stepping back in time. It's a good job we have been rubbish in the games I saw or else I feared kneecapping myself when standing up to celebrate.

If it needs work for a safety certificate - I can believe it - then close it temporarily and do the work. In the long terms keeping the few remaining fans happy is a better idea.

For 25 years me, my father and a few friends had ST in the Chaddy. Girlfriends, wives, family members, friends (both lost Latics, and football fans in general) would regularly attend games with us - not every week, but enough that it probably added an average of 2-3 people a game to a group of 4 ST holders (Boxing day felt like a family party). Due to the nature of the Chaddy - there was always enough seats round our ST to make this easy to do.

With the new stand we bought our ST on the back row (view and weather considerations) but are now surrounded by other STs and there is nowhere close for the "extras" to sit near us and watch the game with us......so they haven't bothered coming this season. An unintended consequence of messing with people's traditions of watching the game but one that has impacted this season with our little group.

There are very few examples where new grounds have not galvanised a club. Colchester have had a season in the champ have they not? Shrews came back from the brink on the back of their move and I would give my right arm to have had the recent success of Chesterfield. Northampton are riding high in league 2.

Doesn't guarantee success but Darlington aside name one team which has ever gone into decline oafc style since a stadium move.

Ps get over the M postcode thing would you. Most people aged 40 and below don't care about such things and the younger ones (ie the future fan base) certainly don't

Might not the correlation be that teams who can raise money to finance new stadia are ipso facto relatively better placed financially respecially with new income sources and that gets reflected in on field investment also?

I can understand how it might sometimes be frustrating attempting to educate me where Im wrong on here, as I don't always read replies or closely follow topics. But some people on this are clearly reading that hundreds of people will stop paying to come watch if we close the upper main stand, and then saying that they agree with such a proposal as it will save money. Pretty dense that.

Edited by Monty Burns