Crowdfunding scoreboard

Rather surprised to read that we are going to try and do a crowd funding for a new scoreboard.

In principal I think our ground does need one - feels like a very backwards situation to not have one. I remember when we launched our last scoreboard it was the largest in the country and people came to see it.

Also - there are plenty of other things we want the owners to spend money one above this (stand completion, playing staff etc) so perhaps sensible to have something like this funded via an alternative route.

But how much does one cost? What is a realistic enough target that crowdfunding could provide - they quote Pompey at £270k, but not sure we are comparable in terms of support.

So what do we think? Good idea - rubbish idea? And notwithstanding that, will it be successful?

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, they could have bought their own scoreboard if they hadn't cashed Tarkowski's sell on clause in and spent the money on a stand that the football club don't even own. I wouldn't give another pound to Corney and Co because they cannot be trusted. Did we not have a scoreboard fund a few years ago? What did that get spent on?

If this is a scoreboard/screen that will be attached somewhere on the new stand that we apparently don't own whilst advertising and generating income for the Oldham event centre that we don't take any profit from then no thanks!

If its on any of the other 3 sides of the ground and was there to generate income towards the club then I think its a good idea

Edited by NIKI1234

Where has this we don't own the stand thing come from?

Who owns OEC?

Not sure. But from the recent GMR phone in, it appears that Oldham Athletic 2004 Ltd own nothing and pay rent for the use of the ground - I am guessing the now sinister Brass Bank are the owners of the ground, incl the the new North Stand and event centre, and the surrounding land (or the profits associated with the sale of some off it).

There are many ways to set up businesses to make them more financially viable - and parent companies, with operating companies underneath that don't own the assets is a fairly familiar one. One advantage is to keep the assets away from a risky company that become financially unstable and therefore prevent, say the HRMC, taking the value of the ground in to account if we ever went in to administration. This could be seen as sensible business acumen from SC and protecting the long term interests of the club.

The more worrying view of this (which the Independent article alluded to) is that SC is keen to sell the club to anyone that would be willing to invest - a great sound bite - but potentially all he is willing to sell is the Oldham Athletic 2004 Ltd 'operating company'. This makes the club a far far less enticing proposition for any buyers - spend lots of cash but have no assets to give you confidence (unless you count the playing squad.....er not at the moment).

It could be that TTA are not willing to continue to hold the £6m 'pay it when you are in the Premier League' debt without any assets to balance it out on the ledger.

If it is the latter, then you could argue that our situation is dire indeed. Whilst there may be a mechanism to allow a % of additional income from the ground (gate receipts, OEC activity) etc to boost the operating budget - its likely always likely to be small beer.

Edited by Scapegoat

Not sure. But from the recent GMR phone in, it appears that Oldham Athletic 2004 Ltd own nothing and pay rent for the use of the ground - I am guessing the now sinister Brass Bank are the owners of the ground, incl the the new North Stand and event centre, and the surrounding land (or the profits associated with the sale of some off it).

There are many ways to set up businesses to make them more financially viable - and parent companies, with operating companies underneath that don't own the assets is a fairly familiar one. One advantage is to keep the assets away from a risky company that become financially unstable and therefore prevent, say the HRMC, taking the value of the ground in to account if we ever went in to administration. This could be seen as sensible business acumen from SC and protecting the long term interests of the club.

The more worrying view of this (which the Independent article alluded to) is that SC is keen to sell the club to anyone that would be willing to invest - a great sound bite - but potentially all he is willing to sell is the Oldham Athletic 2004 Ltd 'operating company'. This makes the club a far far less enticing proposition for any buyers - spend lots of cash but have no assets to give you confidence (unless you count the playing squad.....er not at the moment).

It could be that TTA are not willing to continue to hold the £6m 'pay it when you are in the Premier League' debt without any assets to balance it out on the ledger.

If it is the latter, then you could argue that our situation is dire indeed. Whilst there may be a mechanism to allow a % of additional income from the ground (gate receipts, OEC activity) etc to boost the operating budget - its likely always likely to be small beer.

So where does the Sports Direct supposedly £1 million sponsorship money go?

I get all that but there is no sale to be made unless the ground comes with it, nobody is going to pay them rent.

So where does the Sports Direct supposedly £1 million sponsorship money go?

That was a theoretical maximum anyway.

One thing that is common, is that they put up the costs of building and fitting out and stocking the new Sports Shop and that is the contribution.

Much of the rest will be dependent on promotion, and other performance aspects. So the reality is they will ahve contributed to the stand, and kitted out the new shop.

So it is all wrapped up as a deal, but is not much different than separate deals.

One thing is cast iron, it was never anywhere near £1 million.

By putting in Oldham Event Center into Google, shows the company address to be 64 New Cavendish Street London WIG 8TB, it says the company has 4 directors - Mr Daniel Gazel, Mr Simon Blitz, Mr Simon Corney and Mrs Anna Marie Kocerhan.

By putting in Oldham Event Center into Google, shows the company address to be 64 New Cavendish Street London WIG 8TB, it says the company has 4 directors - Mr Daniel Gazel, Mr Simon Blitz, Mr Simon Corney and Mrs Anna Marie Kocerhan.

The 4 Amigo's now, how often, apart from SC, have the others been seen at the club to watch the team?

I think we can do without one. It'll cost a lot of money and serves a limited purpose and is largely distracting. I'm not a fan of the modern scoreboards with their incessant highlights of every incident occurring in the game that I'm watching.