I'd let Kelly go for decent money, providing we had a replacement lined up. £300k and I'd take it.

He's not a Baxter, Palmer, Tarky type where you're going to struggle to find players of that ability, he's valuable to this particular team.

We might have an entirely different team by next season which doesn't need Kelly.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd let Kelly go for decent money, providing we had a replacement lined up. £300k and I'd take it.

He's not a Baxter, Palmer, Tarky type where you're going to struggle to find players of that ability, he's valuable to this particular team.

We might have an entirely different team by next season which doesn't need Kelly.

Precisely. Probably Player of the Year in a :censored:e team and still cannot pass adequately

I'm not sure it's going to be really difficult to find a player like Palmer as it's a confidence issue rather than an ability issue. Palmer did nothing special but did the simple things very well and with confidence which is just what we needed at the time. We have players who were doing exactly the same things last season.

Palmer is no better than Kelly but is a different type of midfielder and he certainly isn't a Baxter or a Tarky.

Edited by palmer1

I'm not sure it's going to be really difficult to find a player like Palmer as it's a confidence issue rather than an ability issue. Palmer did nothing special but did the simple things very well and with confidence which is just what we needed at the time. We have players who were doing exactly the same things last season.

Palmer is no better than Kelly but is a different type of midfielder and he certainly isn't a Baxter or a Tarky.

Palmer is 21, walked into a team on their knees and led like the most senior player.

He's miles better than the rest of our midfield already, talent, ability and brain, nevermind comparing then when he's Kelly's age.

Palmer is 21, walked into a team on their knees and led like the most senior player.

He's miles better than the rest of our midfield already, talent, ability and brain, nevermind comparing then when he's Kelly's age.

He came into this team and helped Kelly who has been holding that midfield together on his own driving us despite the :censored: that's happened this season.

Palmer's arrival gave us a player who hadn't had the confidence drained from him. He was able to give us balance and put his foot on the ball and play a little but if you think he could have done that without our captain leading us you are very much mistaken.

Palmer had a great influence on us but without Kelly we would have been down before he arrived. Palmer along side anybody else in that midfled week in week out would also still see us in the bottom four as Kellys influence allowed him time to play.

Palmer has been excellent but to ignore what Kelly has done for us this season is insane just because his passing can be wayward.

As a matter of interest how many assits does Palmer have? I know he scored once?

Edited by palmer1

He came into this team and helped Kelly who has been holding that midfield together on his own driving us despite the :censored: that's happened this season.

Palmer's arrival gave us a player who hadn't had the confidence drained from him. He was able to give us balance and put his foot on the ball and play a little but if you think he could have done that without our captain leading us you are very much mistaken.

Palmer had a great influence on us but without Kelly we would have been down before he arrived. Palmer along side anybody else in that midfled week in week out would also still see us in the bottom four as Kellys influence allowed him time to play.

Palmer has been excellent but to ignore what Kelly has done for us this season is insane just because his passing can be wayward.

As a matter of interest how many assits does Palmer have? I know he scored once?

I couldn't disagree more.

I never ignored what Kelly has done. I said he's very valuable for this team, just as he was last season. However, he's a limited footballer.

Kelly does his job and he does it very well. Palmer also does his job very well, while being a better player...

He is limited which is why he's at this level. You just need to look how we do when he's missing to see the effect he has on the team.

I'm a big critic but Winchester when confident had more of an influence last season as did Jones. Both of whom have lacked confidence and form this season. All 3 have the ability but only one has recently played with confidence.

Edited by palmer1

Well I don't think it was Palmer winning the majority of possession in midfield was it?

But wonderful insight as usual.

Dieng has been the major factor in midfield, doesn't vacate the position like Kelly is prone to doing.

Palmer was the biggest catalyst for all that has been good about us in the past couple of months, that influence can't be measured by goals and assists alone.

Palmer a classy player but his contribution which was still good is being over played for me. Kelly on the other hand isn't getting any where near enough.

Dieng has been the major factor in midfield, doesn't vacate the position like Kelly is prone to doing.

Palmer was the biggest catalyst for all that has been good about us in the past couple of months, that influence can't be measured by goals and assists alone.

I'm not measuring by goals and assists I was enquiring.

Dieng has played a handful of games in midfield and that only started at Burton. Diengs role there has been to sit in front of the back 4. Kelly's role has been different and before Palmer's arrival he was having to do alot more work meaning yes he was bound to move around the pitch more leaving the back four to defend for themselves on occasion. Palmer's arrival helped us and I'm not disputing that but his influence only grew due to others.

Without Kelly, we'd have been relegated this season.

It's as simple as that.

But he was as poor as everybody else while Dunn was here....

I'd argue we'd have been relegated without Holloway, Main, Palmer and definitely Gerrard ahead of Kelly.

Don't forget that Kelly was an integral part of us being 8 points adrift at one point...

All that said he's playing very well and leading like an old fashioned captain at the moment which is great to see....

Without Sheridan we'd have been relegated.

With Kelly (and no Shez) we probably still would have been....

With Sheridan and without Kelly, I still think we'd have been relegated.

That takes nothing away from the job Shez has done, and I'm not claiming Kelly to me a Makelele-regen, but the role he plays for us is absolutely vital - especially in those tight 1-0 wins - and we saw at Sheff United how we tend to go to pot when he's missing.

But he was as poor as everybody else while Dunn was here....

I'd argue we'd have been relegated without Holloway, Main, Palmer and definitely Gerrard ahead of Kelly.

Don't forget that Kelly was an integral part of us being 8 points adrift at one point...

All that said he's playing very well and leading like an old fashioned captain at the moment which is great to see....

Under Shez, when Gerrard went off against Wigan early on, we still kept a clean sheet and looked fairly comfortable.

Since Holloway has been out, Main has stepped up to the plate and we've been on very good form.

Kelly misses one game - Sheff Utd - and we get walloped, and Gerrard, Holloway, Palmer & Main all featured in that.

Under Shez, when Gerrard went off against Wigan early on, we still kept a clean sheet and looked fairly comfortable.

Since Holloway has been out, Main has stepped up to the plate and we've been on very good form.

Kelly misses one game - Sheff Utd - and we get walloped, and Gerrard, Holloway, Palmer & Main all featured in that.

We never tried a leg in the Sheff Utd game,the form should be disregarded as worthless.