That free kick routine

Short corners, if worked properly, provide a much better angle to get the ball into the box...

Maybe so, but we didn't do our homework on how many goals Dale had conceded from corners and free kicks just hit into the box.

My dale supporting mate has banged on about their trouble all season.

More or less the first thing I was asked by a different dale supporter (after he gave me some grief) was "why the short corners, we concede virtually every week from set pieces?"

Horses for courses.

Edited by pukka

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short corners, if worked properly, provide a much better angle to get the ball into the box...

Plus they take an extra defender out of the penalty area.

But they then bring offside into play and also allow the defenders to close down as the ten yard ruling does not apply. Mix them up by all means but make sure that the cross misses out the first man!

They've started rearing their pointless ugly heads again in recent games.

FFS.

That "if" under Shez last time (when I actually watched us enough (at all) to know) was pretty fundamental though. I don't recall us ever getting one right and it was :censored:ing painful to watch, given the options we had in the box for a good hoofing!

I think the idea was that Kelly was trying to block the keepers view.

We gave it to Gerrard believein that as his cousin can strike a free kick maybe he can too. It was in the perfect position for Mike Jones but he had a stinker so had to be taken off I bet he saw that abd his heart must have sank.

Something else baffled me late in the game we get a free kick we leave 1 back it was James Wilson. If we were going to have a free kick late in the game surely it would have made sense to put a 6 ft 3 centre back in the penalty area especially when Connor Brown is on the pitch.

Must admit, I chuckled at that about Jones' heart sinking. I'm gutted that he's playing so poorly...that FK definitely was one perfect for him. When I saw Gerrard taking it, I just said to a mate "this will just be like a bowling ball bouncing off a wall"

That 2nd free kick you've mentioned...is that the one in injury time? Right at the death, when we badly needed just to fling the ball in and hope but instead :censored:ed about with it and passed sideways, sideways, backwards and any threat evaporated? Angered the :censored: out of me did that.

Must admit, I chuckled at that about Jones' heart sinking. I'm gutted that he's playing so poorly...that FK definitely was one perfect for him. When I saw Gerrard taking it, I just said to a mate "this will just be like a bowling ball bouncing off a wall"

That 2nd free kick you've mentioned...is that the one in injury time? Right at the death, when we badly needed just to fling the ball in and hope but instead :censored:ed about with it and passed sideways, sideways, backwards and any threat evaporated? Angered the :censored: out of me did that.

That's the one and it equally annoyed me aswell. At that point in the game when your a goal down just get it into the mixer don't give them a chance to block the cross.

That is Jones biggest problem, I think the manager must be very frustrated with him.

That is Jones biggest problem, I think the manager must be very frustrated with him.

To be fair, nobody passes more sideways and backwards than Kelly. But Jones just looks like a dog chasing a ball at times lately. And his biggest attribute, set pieces have been dire. But then...nobody else is coming to the fore which is why Gerrard must've been given the nod. Keeping my fingers crossed that Jones can work through this :censored: spell of his,

To be fair, nobody passes more sideways and backwards than Kelly. But Jones just looks like a dog chasing a ball at times lately. And his biggest attribute, set pieces have been dire. But then...nobody else is coming to the fore which is why Gerrard must've been given the nod. Keeping my fingers crossed that Jones can work through this :censored: spell of his,

I can't recall a good player who's ever gone so far backwards for us.

Anybody?

I am almost suicidal when I think of the fall from grace of Mike Jones...

Evidence shows that in swinging corners are more effective than out-swinging corners.

Whilst not impossible to deliver an inswinging cross from a short corner, the best angle is probably from the quadrant.

Shift Jones back to the left and Forte to the bench for Saturday bring Winchester into the centre (another who has regressed) and play Dummingham from the right go with a compact midfield. Jones is far more comfortable playing from the left and cutting in, than from the right and trying to go on the outside.

I'd say Mills has fallen further than Jones. Although there's not much in it.

What the :censored: did Kelly and Dunn get up to with them...

Mills was never as good as Jones.

Jones was one of our best players last season and certainly our most consistent. Deserved his player of the year award.

This year he's been dog:censored:, even accounting for the stop/start nature of his season...

No. Play him where he became player of the season.

That was the left. Well, left of a diamond...

Exactly he plays as a left midfielder who drifts into the centre or even plays as a number 10. In the current system left mid is his best position.

His best performance this season came in the second half against Millwall where he started driving forward from the left hand side. Currently being played on the right he looks like a fish out of water. Get Holmes Daniels overlapping him on the left and you will get the best out of him.

Mills was never as good as Jones.

Jones was one of our best players last season and certainly our most consistent. Deserved his player of the year award.

This year he's been dog:censored:, even accounting for the stop/start nature of his season...

I don't know, Mills was very competent at one time.

I'd also say he's become more useless than Jones, despite Jones' non-show on Saturday. I do blame it on playing him as a winger. We had a good thing with his partnership with Kelly and we :censored:ed it up.

Seeing his face when he came off he looked a broken man, honestly. He used to be leader last season...

Exactly he plays as a left midfielder who drifts into the centre or even plays as a number 10. In the current system left mid is his best position.

His best performance this season came in the second half against Millwall where he started driving forward from the left hand side. Currently being played on the right he looks like a fish out of water.

Didn't Shez say he should have been playing more central against Port Vale and didn't know why he was playing as a right winger and had to tell him again at half time to move inside..?

Didn't Shez say he should have been playing more central against Port Vale and didn't know why he was playing as a right winger and had to tell him again at half time to move inside..?

If players aren't listening the manager must be very frustrated, does he stick with good players who do their own thing, or drop them and play those with maybe lesser talent who will listen?

Edited by BP1960

• 4 months later...

Back onto set pieces. Saw them training this afternoon from my landing window. Robinson had them all set up in positions he (seemingly) wanted them to be in. I saw them go through it 5 times. The 1st one went straight into the keepers' hands. The 2nd hit the first defender. The third wasn't a bad delivery. The 4th and 5th went over everybody's head. In the end, I had to shut the curtains...