The EU referendum - 23rd June

Matt

The EU referendum  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the UK to leave or remain in the EU?

• Leave the EU
    • Remain in the EU
    • Currently undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

We've had the vote, we have a result get over it.

It’s tragic that only 72% of the electorate could be arsed to vote on such a crucial issue. 17,455,455 (52%) of those who voted chose to leave the EU, which equates to 34.66% of the electorate. That’s democracy with apathy ruling.

I notice you don't quote actual statistics or illegals, Romanian gypsies and asylum seekers. Selective to fit the argument - just like the politicians.

Would you vote to join the European Union as it stands and is performing today?

Have you voted to allow governance of our country to be ceded to the European government?

Or, As we all regularly shout at politicians on TV, 'answer the damn question.'

Would I want us to join the EU today? Yes

Have I voted to allow governance of our country to be ceded by the European government? No because:

1. Take a look at the major decisions made from parliament in the last 12 months benefit cuts, tax cuts, bombing campaigns on Syria all made from Westminster nothing the EU could do about it.

2. This is probably where you and me agree I don't want us to be further integrated with Brussels. The difference is you wanted us to get out all together I wanted us to stay in and change it. Ironically Britain leaving could well be the touch paper that ignites that.

In conclusion (and having abit of time to reflect I was slightly pushed lat night :). I don't think those jumping up and down shouting about getting their country back are going to become better off its not going to be as good as they think.

However I also don't think it will be as catastrophic as some of the remainers think either. Just aslong as we remember that Britain gets alot of things right and we don't :censored: it up

These are interesting times.

Edited by GlossopLatic

say what you like about Sturgeon and the SNP they appear to be the only ones to have gone into this with a clear post brexit strategy and shes putting it into effect

the berxiters themselves appear to have no plan hence thier inertia and our esteamed govt their silence speaks volumes wheres call me dave and gideon now ?

and as for her majestys official opposition they are in meltdown as well

leaving us with a vacuum question is who is willing to step up and fill it ?

say what you like about Sturgeon and the SNP they appear to be the only ones to have gone into this with a clear post brexit strategy and shes putting it into effect

the berxiters themselves appear to have no plan hence thier inertia and our esteamed govt their silence speaks volumes wheres call me dave and gideon now ?

and as for her majestys official opposition they are in meltdown as well

leaving us with a vacuum question is who is willing to step up and fill it ?

James Dyson?

We have a general election every 5yrs (previously 4). Between us we choose every single member of every single parliament.

After the surprise outcome of the last election and now this referendum, we have even given our 'appointed' representatives something to think about.

The European Parliament is elected every 5 years (use PR which is more representative and democratic than FPP).

Clearly, the idea of this referendum was some large scale brinkmanship which has backfired spectacularly on the political establishment in the UK as well as in Europe and the US.
If the EU had some reasonable-minded people running it, people with a bit of empathy and flexibility, then none of this would have happened.

End the needless and pointless austerity across Europe.

Do not allow Turkey to enter the union, once and for all end its ambitions clearly and absolutely stop :censored:ing with Ukraine on behalf of Washington.
Send Syrians refugees to America the country that bloody destabilised the whole region.

As for the likes of Junker and co, get non-psychopaths to run the organisation instead...surely it can't be that hard to find a few normal bloody people with half a brain.

Clearly, the idea of this referendum was some large scale brinkmanship which has backfired spectacularly on the political establishment in the UK as well as in Europe and the US.

If the EU had some reasonable-minded people running it, people with a bit of empathy and flexibility, then none of this would have happened.

End the needless and pointless austerity across Europe.

Do not allow Turkey to enter the union, once and for all end its ambitions clearly and absolutely stop :censored:ing with Ukraine on behalf of Washington.

Send Syrians refugees to America the country that bloody destabilised the whole region.

As for the likes of Junker and co, get non-psychopaths to run the organisation instead...surely it can't be that hard to find a few normal bloody people with half a brain.

1. Turkey are way off joining.

2. That Syrian thing is ridiculous.

3. President of the commission is appointed by the council (heads of member states).

Would I want us to join the EU today? Yes

Have I voted to allow governance of our country to be ceded by the European government? No because:

1. Take a look at the major decisions made from parliament in the last 12 months benefit cuts, tax cuts, bombing campaigns on Syria all made from Westminster nothing the EU could do about it.

2. This is probably where you and me agree I don't want us to be further integrated with Brussels. The difference is you wanted us to get out all together I wanted us to stay in and change it. Ironically Britain leaving could well be the touch paper that ignites that.

In conclusion (and having abit of time to reflect I was slightly pushed lat night :). I don't think those jumping up and down shouting about getting their country back are going to become better off its not going to be as good as they think.

However I also don't think it will be as catastrophic as some of the remainers think either. Just aslong as we remember that Britain gets alot of things right and we don't :censored: it up

These are interesting times.

The more we all soak in Brexit the less daunting it will appear. The world wide furore is generated by the political, handsomely paid, pampered elite. No one is on the streets about what has happened. As we speak it seems the world is talking about us, while live around them carries on normally, as it is doing here.

We are a small island in the North Atlantic. We have not gone bust, we have not started a war and there is no proposal to send anyone back anywhere. All our little island wants to do is reclaim our ability to rule ourselves and control our own borders. During the last 6yrs we have out performed the EU, as a nation, in stabilising our banks, dramatically reducing unemployment and out performed them on productivity. The EU is totally unable to move quickly and decisively in any sort of emergency. They are the highest employers of interpreters and translators in the world at 1,500. About one third of the parliamentary staff. Our elected MEP's do not have the final say in setting laws or directives. This is done by unelected committees. I could go on about wastefulness of the whole circus, maybe another time.

Out of our situation now we have at least two years to secure trade agreements with the EU. It beggars believe that they will try and make the agreement punitive. Trade is a two way street and there is far more coming in our direction than theirs. European controls, standards and specification are hardly likely to be a problem, we are already complying with them.

There is no way of guessing how well this will end or how badly, but we are a productive, inventive, hard working nation, well able to look after ourselves. We are respected world wide for a variety of trustworthy traits in business.

I'm convinced powerful the elite are scared rigid of what we are capable of.

What other reason could there be for little old UK causing so much fuss? And why is the EU so difficult to leave?

Edited by mikeroyboy

One thing that does facinate me is that alot of places that strongly supported Brexit. Their was a woman on TV from Barnsley who was almost sobbing saying that she had got her country back. Now how are the fortunes of places like Barnsley, Sunderland or even places like Oldham and Rochdale suddenly going to improve under the likes of BoJo and Gove, 2 Thatcherites? I can't imagine either jumping in to save Tata steel they are not into nationalising.

From a personal point of view I just hope that those students in our universities get the opportunity and the financial support to go and study abroad in the EU I did this but I was only able to do that as I got a grant from the EU to do so my parents wouldn't have been able to afford to send me. Now I've paid that money back many many times over in the form of taxes since. I had a great experience out there met many people from all over the world a and it opened my eyes somewhat and hope others get to enjoy that experience too, in our new relationship as an associate of Europe.

Edited by GlossopLatic