The EU referendum - 23rd June

Matt

The EU referendum  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the UK to leave or remain in the EU?

• Leave the EU
    • Remain in the EU
    • Currently undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

I would have liked to have seen a third box on the ballot paper...undecided.

It would have been interesting to see how many of the population, me included felt they could not make an informed decision.

I was remain but not by much - Farage's racism probably tipped it for me in the end. Surely this fiasco (it's worse than Suez) could've been avoided with no referendum at all. It's just not sensible to allow or make the British public decide on a huge plank of UK foreign policy. And it might be democratic, but is it tolerant to allow 52% to co-opt 48% into that decision?

Undecideds plus remainers far outnumber leavers.

If a party wins on a manifesto commitment in October to not leave the EU or to rejoin (or whatever the situation is at the time), does that trump the referendum result?

We're not out yet. Parliament has to repeal the EU act of 1972 and I cannot see this happening despite what Cameron says, he cannot speak for all MPs.

That is the option to pull out unilaterally. The PM can activate whatsit 50 by himself and the deal is made between heads of state. Will have to go through Parliament at some point but god knows what will happen if MPs block it because they didn't like the verdict

That is the option to pull out unilaterally. The PM can activate whatsit 50 by himself and the deal is made between heads of state. Will have to go through Parliament at some point but god knows what will happen if MPs block it because they didn't like the verdict

But a lot of the leavers argued for stronger parliamentary democracy. Serious question. Does a manifesto commitment by someone who wins a general election trump the referendum in terms of democratic legitimacy? I'm not suggesting for a minute we should go back on the result, but I am suggesting that there are several scenarios, including under a Johnson premiership, that we might.

Rally on the markets today, factoring in Brexit or dead cat bounce?

Language coming out of Europe is still get on with it, if the markets begin to stabilise these calls may get stronger before the markets dip once article 50 is enacted. The instability doesn't suit anyone and sooner or later something has to give.

Negotiate exit agreement.

Offer a new referendum based on "Out on these specific terms" or "remain".

Exit deal only governs the exit from the EU, not future trade. They are not agreeing to preliminary talks prior to Article 50 being invoked. Once it is, there is no more 'remain' to vote on.

Exit deal only governs the exit from the EU, not future trade. They are not agreeing to preliminary talks prior to Article 50 being invoked. Once it is, there is no more 'remain' to vote on.

Me thinks that you have missed his point! O4U was recommending negotiations without an end-like OAFC looking for a manager

Brains of Britain there, wanting a person to exit a moving tram.

I'm not one to condone violence and at 07:40 before a Tuesday at work one of the last things you want to do is scrote swatting but there were some hefty fellas on that tram, all it would have taken is one of them to step up and others would have followed.

But a lot of the leavers argued for stronger parliamentary democracy. Serious question. Does a manifesto commitment by someone who wins a general election trump the referendum in terms of democratic legitimacy? I'm not suggesting for a minute we should go back on the result, but I am suggesting that there are several scenarios, including under a Johnson premiership, that we might.

This, for me, relates to one of the biggest (of many) loads of bollocks that was spouted during the campaigning - that it was a "once in a lifetime" decision, there would be "no going back".

What if someone forms a party now, or in the future, that's the polar opposite of UKIP in that they want us back in? Or Labour/Conservative make it the main policy in a future manifesto?

This, for me, relates to one of the biggest (of many) loads of bollocks that was spouted during the campaigning - that it was a "once in a lifetime" decision, there would be "no going back".

What if someone forms a party now, or in the future, that's the polar opposite of UKIP in that they want us back in? Or Labour/Conservative make it the main policy in a future manifesto?

To be fair, as a better-informed-than-many voter, I hadn't thought of that.

Not following you at all.

I'm just saying that there seems to be an increased confidence amongst the bigots currently.

I disagree. I think they're being given a platform more now. This does help the remain camps argument that out country has overnight become a racist hell hole.

He was a c*** before the referendum. Will have mouthed off publicly like that before the referendum

That's what the Lib Dems intend to do