The EU referendum - 23rd June

Matt

The EU referendum  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the UK to leave or remain in the EU?

• Leave the EU
    • Remain in the EU
    • Currently undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

Bit sick of all the negative news flow at the moment, even the papers that supported Brexit are full of doom.

Listen to Digby Jones - as he says we are the 5th largest economy in the world. We are a rising economy in a EU state that is declining year on year .

We have some of the brainiest people on the planet and a financial institution on a par with the best.

Lets be bloody positive and show the Junckers of this world it is they who have made the biggest mistake - NOT listening to the UK all these years.

http://www.digbylordjones.com/well-my-friends....a-brave-new-morning.html

One thing that does facinate me is that alot of places that strongly supported Brexit. Their was a woman on TV from Barnsley who was almost sobbing saying that she had got her country back. Now how are the fortunes of places like Barnsley, Sunnderland or even places like Oldham and Rochdale suddenly going to improve under the likes of BoJo and Gove 2 Thatcherites? I can't imagine either jumping in to save Tata steel they are not into nationalising.

From a personal point of view I just hope that those students in our universities get the opportunity and the financial support to go and study abroad in the EU I did this but I was only able to do that as I got a grant from the EU to do so my parents wouldn't have been able to afford to send me. Now I've paid that money back many many times over in the form of taxes since. I had a great experience out there met many people from all over the world a and it opened my eyes somewhat and hope others get to enjoy that experience too, in our new relationship as an associate of Europe.

I spent the best part of 20 years working and living in Europe, enjoying the free exchange between cultures and enjoying equal opportunities wherever I roamed. I had my share and I'm eternally grateful for that, but it's chastening to think that future generations may not be able to broaden their minds in such a way.

Edited by piglinbland

I spent the best part of 20 years working and living in Europe, enjoying the free exchange between cultures and enjoying equal opportunities wherever I roamed. I had my share and I'm eternally grateful for that, but it's chastening to think that future generations may not be able to broaden their minds in such a way.

WHY ?

Pre Eu i also spent many years working and living in Italy and Germany so why not in the future??

Edited by losesome

Bit sick of all the negative news flow at the moment, even the papers that supported Brexit are full of doom. - what did you expect? they are there to sell copy.

Listen to Digby Jones - as he says we are the 5th largest economy in the world. We are a rising economy in a EU state that is declining year on year . Why would I listen to a privileged public schoolboy lawyer who has never had to graft - class enemy.

We have some of the brainiest people on the planet and a financial institution on a par with the best. Statistically true

Lets be bloody positive and show the Junckers of this world it is they who have made the biggest mistake - NOT listening to the UK all these years. Let do it! (What's the plan?).

http://www.digbylordjones.com/well-my-friends....a-brave-new-morning.html

WHY ?

Pre Eu i also spent many years working and living in Italy and Germany so why not in the future??

Because from now on, young people from Britain will not have equal opportunities in the EU because we have voted out of the aforementioned institution. You can't borrow books from the library if you are not a member.

Of course, in a perfect world it should still be possible to sojourn, maybe even work, in Europe. But it won't be a legal right as it was up to June the 23rd.

To Digby Jones' heirs this won't be problem, however.

Edited by piglinbland

Because from now on, young people from Britain will not have equal opportunities in the EU because we have voted out of the aforementioned institution. You can't borrow books from the library if you are not a member.

Of course, in a perfect world it should still be possible to sojourn, and maybe even work in europe. But it won't be a legal right as it was up to June the 23rd.

To Digby Jones' heirs this won't be problem, however.

Having heard how you conduct yourself during a debate, and then in defeat, it's worth almost any outcome to avoid hearing what you would be like in victory

"Having heard how you conduct yourself during a debate, and then in defeat, it's worth almost any outcome to avoid hearing what you would be like in victory"

Coming from you, arrogance incarnate!

It's not a question of defeat or victory, more 'what now?'

Edited by piglinbland

It is interesting now to see where we go as it was always the 1 thing Leave never answered - what do we do now?

All the bother the Leave people are getting (never mind Farage) about a plan is neither here nor there. They all had their own ideas, they weren't campaigning for government. Remain demanded a plan where there couldn't be one. The next PM oversees the exit seeking the best terms available. Life goes on.

"Having heard how you conduct yourself during a debate, and then in defeat, it's worth almost any outcome to avoid hearing what you would be like in victory"

Coming from you, arrogance incarnate!

It's not a question of defeat or victory, more 'what now?'

Your opinion is yours. Personally I wish every debating forum had had one of you on it, it would have been put to bed by May. No offence to other people of different views. The debate on here has been better than I've seen pretty much anywhere else.

All the bother the Leave people are getting (never mind Farage) about a plan is neither here nor there. They all had their own ideas, they weren't campaigning for government. Remain demanded a plan where there couldn't be one. The next PM oversees the exit seeking the best terms available. Life goes on.

Here lies the problem for me, the conservatives will put 2 forward. 1 will probably be Boris, the other looks like being Theresa May (noticeably quiet in the lead up). Do they go straight in and evoke article 50. Or, seeking a mandate, do they call a general election. There's a big chance we don't trigger article 50 until at least 2017. Life may go on, but we'll be waiting a while i reckon.....

Your opinion is yours. Personally I wish every debating forum had had one of you on it, it would have been put to bed by May. No offence to other people of different views. The debate on here has been better than I've seen pretty much anywhere else.

As you say, life goes on.

Of course it does.

Now that Iraqi refugees are the predominant faces trying to gain access to the UK it is apposite to mention that life went on for Iraq when (illegally) she had the :censored: bombed out of her after 11/09, could never reconstruct and subsequently became an ISIS stronghold. Britain was the strongest supporter of the U.S. plan to invade Iraq.

(Which brings us neatly to Brexit and the main reason the 'popular' vote was for 'out').

I'll defend the European ideal, which was to bring sustained peace and prosperity to Europe after the two major conflicts of the 20th century.

I would say that, broadly speaking, this ideal has been achieved.

- Europe's under performance is tangible but not insurmountable - especially given the world recession.

- Britain's relative economic zeal is jeopardised by a Brexit.

- to undermine the European ideal would be to bring instability to the region.

- in general, EU regulation has had little impact on the day to day functioning of member states.

- in general, British people's distrust of the European Union is engendered by certain factions of a 'popular' press and, more particularly, by the infiltration of a far more right-wing Eurosceptic influence.

- Britain's interests lie within the sphere of the EU because - The EU can be improved by Britain's influence.

- Britain is better off in the EU because 'united we stand, divided we fall'.

- Britain is better off in the EU because the bulk of this colossal and costly oeuvre has already been constructed - and is now in place for our convenience.

I am English, British and European, proud to be but refuse to give preference to any because I believe no man, woman or race to be superior to another.

Sorry to rabbit on but I'll stand by these principles. I do hugely rate Winchester though.

Edited by piglinbland

As you say, life goes on.

Of course it does.

Now that Iraqi refugees are the predominant faces trying to gain access to the UK it is apposite to mention that life went on for Iraq when (illegally) she had the :censored: bombed out of her after 11/09, could never reconstruct and subsequently became an ISIS stronghold. Britain was the strongest supporter of the U.S. plan to invade Iraq.

(Which brings us neatly to Brexit and the main reason the 'popular' vote was for 'out').

I'll defend the European ideal, which was to bring sustained peace and prosperity to Europe after the two major conflicts of the 20th century.

I would say that, broadly speaking, this ideal has been achieved.

- Europe's under performance is tangible but not insurmountable - especially given the world recession.

- Britain's relative economic zeal is jeopardised by a Brexit.

- to undermine the European ideal would be to bring instability to the region.

- in general, EU regulation has had little impact on the day to day functioning of member states.

- in general, British people's distrust of the European Union is engendered by certain factions of a 'popular' press and, more particularly, by the infiltration of a far more right-wing Eurosceptic influence.

- Britain's interests lie within the sphere of the EU because - The EU can be improved by Britain's influence.

- Britain is better off in the EU because 'united we stand, divided we fall'.

- Britain is better off in the EU because the bulk of this colossal and costly oeuvre has already been constructed - and is now in place for our convenience.

I am English, British and European, proud to be but refuse to give preference to any because I believe no man, woman or race to be superior to another.

Sorry to rabbit on but I'll stand by these principles. I do hugely rate Winchester though.

You have your position and have every right to voice your opinion but you "f*cked it up" with that last comment!!!

'What do we do now?' 'What's the plan?'

We negotiate a trading agreement with the EU that is acceptable to both parties. We also negotiate trading agreements with any other country we damn well like. Just like the rest of the world does. Does anyone see a problem with the world's 5th largest economy being able to do that?

Can anyone put their finger on why this is causing so much concern around the globe by people in high places? What on earth are they worried about?

The larger the EU gets the more dysfunctional it will become.

It is interesting now to see where we go as it was always the 1 thing Leave never answered - what do we do now?

It couldn't answer that question for the simple reason the campaign party for out was just that , a campaign party.

No plan , no policies as they have no power to instigate any changes .For instance , Nigel Farage isn't even an MP.

Only had one directive , to get us out of the EU

The remain party knew they can't have a plan and that's why they kept asking the question!!!!

It's now upto government to decide what now.

Edited by losesome

We all like lists

Pound hits 31 year low.

FTSE 100 130 points down.

FTSE 250 down 5%.

Investors worrying that the economy will start shrinking.

Dublin Borse down 8%.

Other markets affected.

Whatever the ins or outs (no pun intended) the above does matter. The paralysis in government and parliament is feeding the uncertainty. This isn't a philosophical game played out across the saloon bar or common room, the red lines affect livelihoods.