Before we get excited about next season

Let go: Cornell, Brown, Mills, Croft, Poleon, Murphy & Turner

Promote: Renshaw, Edmundson & Tuohy

Would leave:

Coleman, Renshaw

J. Wilson, B. Wilson, Gerrard, Edmundson, Lafferty

Kelly, Dieng, Jones, Winchester, Palmer, Tuohy

Forte, Holloway, Main

*Red means sign if possible, though I have left Dummigan out as he has just signed a new contract so unlikely*

That's a first team squad of 16.

Look for a good wide man and another striker.

Edited by sjk2008

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if we don't sign Gerrard I'm sure Shez will look for a similar player as his first priority.

Unlikely we'll sign Dummigan or Lafferty in my opinion.

I reckon Holloway is already pretty much our player.

Main might well stay but we could do with him stopping scoring now so as not to attract attention from clubs able to pay more than us :lol:

Palmer looks a long shot but you never know..

Holmes Dennis - who knows?

I'll be amazed if we don't sell one or more of Kelly, J Wilson or Coleman...

Jones should stay if Shez can sort out whatever it is that's wrong with him.

Winchester should be resurgent under Shez.

He'll keep Forte for the right money.

Dieng must stay.

Croft has done surprisingly well these last two games despite his size... A tricky one..

As poor as Cassidy has been he is very similar to what Holloway and Main were when they first arrived (i.e non scoring forward but decent at hold up & link play) so given a Shez pre season and a good run of games he could come good too. He might need to just work with him if we don't keep Holloway/Main and/or we can't move him on.,.

I could see Gerrard ending up down the road at Bolton, Palmer would be a big statement signing but can't see it, Holloway, actually think we have looked a bit more fluid without him, Main I think will now be the marquee summer signing.

Out of our lads Forte will be off to seek a nice signing on fee somewhere, Croft and Mills gone, Coleman will sign a new deal, Jones the interesting one, get the impression Sheridan likes him but wants to see more.

I think we all know which players could be let go and not affect the team much.

The OP has a point, it is stacking the odds against the smaller teams. Yet again.

On the plus side, and no mentioned, it's the same for all the teams.

Maybe it will make us think long and hard about which players to recruit.

I'll be amazed if we don't sell one or more of Kelly, J Wilson or Coleman...

J Wilson is out of contract.

Those under contract (and with options) below. I won't include kids (aka Joel Coleman) despite the fact we could command a fee.

Current squad (contracted to date) - updated 11/04/2016

13. David Cornell (2016 plus option)

2. Connor Brown (2017)

3. Joseph Mills (2016 plus option)

4. Timothée Dieng (2016 plus option)

23. Theo Vassell (2016 plus option)

6. Liam Kelly (2017)

7. Lee Croft (2016 plus option)

15. Carl Winchester (2017)

29. Jack Tuohy (2016 plus option)

14. Jake Cassidy (2017 plus option)

On loan:

19. Rhys Murphy (2017) - on loan to AFC Wimbledon until the end of the season.

28. Danny Byrnes (2016 plus option) - on loan to Droylsden until the end of the season.

Edited by blueatheart

"Boss Darren Kelly added: "This is another great signing for the club in terms of going forward.

"I've heard good things about him on and off the pitch so I'm looking forward to working with him over the next two years."

Read more at http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/renewed-brown-pens-new-contract-2486023.aspx#57APRxWpxCR21PwR.99"

No but plenty on here came out and stated that Kelly had :censored: all to do with signing players as he couldn't wipe is own arse so I don't think we can now blame him for having Brown on our books for two seasons, if we reform the reserve team next season to help develop our youngsters Brown may well find his level, we will struggle to get him off the books I suspect.

To who?

5 or 6 good games. A marquee signing is someone who has proved they're class for your level consistently.

There won't be a mad fight for him by others clubs either

For us, now he has become something of a cult hero.

3-4 weeks ago he wouldn't have been.

The fact that Donny are going down will mean they will have to cut their budget and have a clear out.

Main has already stated he would rather play for us by not going back. Barring a catastrophe we will now be in the league above Donny, I think they will happily let us take him off their hands. They won't want a player on their wage bill in league 1 who doesn't want to be there nevermind in league 2.

It might take abit of negotiation but I think he will be our player next season.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Let's just enjoy where we've got to after where we were three months ago before we get all negative about next season?

That's assuming of course that we get the three points we need to lead us to our seventh successive season of finishing between 15th and 19th place in this godforsaken league (in the first season of that sequence, Bournemouth were in League Two and Portsmouth were in the Premier League).

Given where we were (David Worrall [David Worrall] scoring a header [a header] in a 2-5 [five] home defeat against Southend [southend] was a low point for me), I'm just happy that we've got to where we have and that we have an actual manager in place who knows what he's doing and we can get behind.

I have no expectations of promotion or play offs or anything other than a routine 15th place finish next season but for the first time in a long time it feels like we have someone in charge who knows what he's doing and, regardless of players coming and going, everything else will fall into place. That at least will give us something to look forward to. In view of that, I'm genuinely not sure it matters (within reason) which players stay or go in the pre-season. Gerrard has been great, but who doubts that Sheridan/Shirtliff could find someone else to organise the defence if he doesn't stay? Palmer added composure to the midfield, but most of us hadn't heard of him before he joined; I actually have confidence in the manager's ability to find someone else to fill that role if Palmer doesn't come back. Holloway and Main have given us workrate, strength and (latterly) goals up top but they're still basically being rejected by clubs at our level or below; there will be others out there who can also fill that role.

We already have the one thing that matters for next season - everything else will take care of itself.

Or am I being too naive?

I think we all know which players could be let go and not affect the team much.

The OP has a point, it is stacking the odds against the smaller teams. Yet again.

On the plus side, and no mentioned, it's the same for all the teams.

Maybe it will make us think long and hard about which players to recruit.

You get it Singe

The cards are getting stacked against us from next season and the usual way we have done business over the last decade will not work again. Thank goodness we have an experienced manager now, one who can find the gems.

It will take a production line of sellable talent to move this club onto a new level, talent brought through the ranks of a reserve / youth team set up. Spending a big chunk of our available money on setting this up is not going to be as sexy as buying a couple of competent forwards but it will be the way out of treading water like we have been for too long.

We need a long term manager and Sheridan could be that man,. He is respected enough that the Board and the fans wont crucify him if he has a miserable run of form. Knowing the manager is going to be staying helps the players develop, rather than a new manager coming in every 6 months and changing the team philosophy and style. It gives structure to the club by getting players who will gel together and compliment each others styles and abilities rather than a mish mash of short term solution buys.

We are being forced to change the way we do buisness, it won't be easy, but I remain hopeful :clint:

Stacking the odds against the 'smaller teams', but are we really one of the 5 or 6 smaller teams?

Aside from Sheff, Bradford, Millwall, Coventry and Barnsley, which club is considerably bigger than us in this league?

Maybe add Bolton, who are skint and Charlton and Plymouth if they're promoted.

Edited by NewBlue