If Evans is now found not guilty at retrial would you be ok with us signing him?

If Evans is found not guilty would you now sign him?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. If Evans is found not guilty would you now be OK with us signing him?

• I would and I would have done last time round
    • I was against it last time round but would be OK with us signing him now if not guilty
    • I was against it last time and I still wouldn't want us to sign him
    • I was for it last time but wouldn't want to sign him if now (you never know?)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity is there a scenario where Evans could end up back in prison? Say the retrial goes against him, could the judge impose a longer sentence than the previous one resulting in Evans having to go back to prison to serve the difference?

It would be funny if they went all FA on him and extended his prison sentence because of a frivolous appeal.

after his experiance the last time of re habilitating a criminal does anybody think shez actualy want Evans any where near his dressing room ?

What Criminal are you talking about - Warren Feeney for impersonating a footballer?

Cant be talking about Ched Evens because he is not a criminal - you may have missed the news peanut but his conviction was overturned, he has no criminal record, he is not an ex criminal, he has no criminal past, 'it' never happened he is - to the tune of billy joels song - an innocent man! :smoking:

What Criminal are you talking about - Warren Feeney for impersonating a footballer?

Cant be talking about Ched Evens because he is not a criminal - you may have missed the news peanut but his conviction was overturned, he has no criminal record, he is not an ex criminal, he has no criminal past, 'it' never happened he is - to the tune of billy joels song - an innocent man! :smoking:

Not sure if he was referring to Mr Hughes

A big debate over whether we should sign someone who was convicted of rape, whether right or wrong, and has not played football for :censored:ing years. Is he likely to be the player he once was and stick 20+ goals in per season, meaning is he a player who even warrants this debate?

Is this debate only here because he was "once" good?

This thread proves that opinion is split, and nothing is going to change that. Whether you're pro-Evans or not, the fact is when he was linked with a move to BP whilst still a convicted rapist it brought nothing but negative headlines our way.

We've now pretty much done the unthinkable, largely thanks to a club legend who we hope can have us fanbase thinking positively for once and look towards the top of the league next season as opposed the bottom, and people still want to risk that all by trying to sign said convicted rapist based on some good form he showed back when Jake Cassidy last :censored:ing scored.

Come on lads, let's move on.

A big debate over whether we should sign someone who was convicted of rape, whether right or wrong, and has not played football for :censored:ing years. Is he likely to be the player he once was and stick 20+ goals in per season, meaning is he a player who even warrants this debate?

Is this debate only here because he was "once" good?

This thread proves that opinion is split, and nothing is going to change that. Whether you're pro-Evans or not, the fact is when he was linked with a move to BP whilst still a convicted rapist it brought nothing but negative headlines our way.

We've now pretty much done the unthinkable, largely thanks to a club legend who we hope can have us fanbase thinking positively for once and look towards the top of the league next season as opposed the bottom, and people still want to risk that all by trying to sign said convicted rapist based on some good form he showed back when Jake Cassidy last :censored:ing scored.

Come on lads, let's move on.

I'm not sure the pro Evans lobby (which includes me) are advocating we immediately rush out to sign him. I think what we are saying, and obviously I can't speak for others, is that, if those responsible for what goes on the pitch every week deem he would be an improvement on what we have them they should be allowed to make the effort to sign him.

I felt the same last year when ha had served the punishment laid down on conviction, it's perhaps not terribly surprising that I feel the same now that conviction has been quashed.

Your all that fickle on here IF he signed scored 7 in 4 games and went on to be prolific he would instantly become the messiah and rape would not exist in an Oldham fans mind.....

After all Curtis Main is suddenly the one now.....

Your all that fickle on here IF he signed scored 7 in 4 games and went on to be prolific he would instantly become the messiah and rape would not exist in an Oldham fans mind.....

After all Curtis Main is suddenly the one now.....

Generalisations.

There are still many who hold the view that Lee Hughes should never have got near our club despite the fact he was the most gifted goalscorer we've seen in a Latics shirt since Porter left.

There is an interesting article in the Independent on the story (can't post link from work PC unfortunately).

It basically says that Evans needs to find a club to take him on this summer to save his career as it could be over a year before another trial takes place.

It says that we had not ruled out signing him if the conviction had been quashed with no retrial allowed. Not sure how they have got that information though as the article goes on to say that it is such a sensitive subject that no one in authority at the club would even comment off the record.

It then goes on to suggest that Johnson was told we wanted to sign Evans, regardless of his thoughts on the subject, but if the possibility cane up again, Sheridan is in a strong enough position to ensure that it would be his decision, not one made over his head.

Voted yes last time and no this time.

I principal I believe in rehabilitation and thought once we opened Pandora's Box we should have gone through to the end last time.

This time I vote no. Not because of any moral objection to signing him, but having seen the crap that came with it I wouldn't want to sign him for the disruption it would cause to a club that has some positivity going for it.

There are a lot of ifs, ands and buts in this debate, so I'll add mine...if he wants to join us would his wealthy father-in-law invest some money and would this sway the powers that be to sign him?

PS I don't know how wealthy he is!

all 'ifs' but ....

petitons against an innocent man?

press circus for an innocent man?

hated for signing an innocent man?

His morals are not in question despite some not wanting him to sign for those reasons and whether opinion is split if a court says he was wrongly convicted it doesnt matter.

IF he is innocent he is innocent

But they will still happen. Even if he is Innocent.

There is no amount of money that would be worth all that :censored: again.

Edited by singe

There is an interesting article in the Independent on the story (can't post link from work PC unfortunately).

It basically says that Evans needs to find a club to take him on this summer to save his career as it could be over a year before another trial takes place.

It says that we had not ruled out signing him if the conviction had been quashed with no retrial allowed. Not sure how they have got that information though as the article goes on to say that it is such a sensitive subject that no one in authority at the club would even comment off the record.

It then goes on to suggest that Johnson was told we wanted to sign Evans, regardless of his thoughts on the subject, but if the possibility cane up again, Sheridan is in a strong enough position to ensure that it would be his decision, not one made over his head.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/ched-evans-it-would-be-folly-to-sign-striker-now-but-a-club-will-try-a6994906.html

It's not quoted that is what happened to Johnson, so could well be supposition. That said, it is Ian Herbert, their Chief sports Writer so fair to assume he may have been told off the record. Which still makes Johnson's position at the time untenable, why did he not resign having a player forced he did not want.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/ched-evans-it-would-be-folly-to-sign-striker-now-but-a-club-will-try-a6994906.html

It's not quoted that is what happened to Johnson, so could well be supposition. That said, it is Ian Herbert, their Chief sports Writer so fair to assume he may have been told off the record. Which still makes Johnson's position at the time untenable, why did he not resign having a player forced he did not want.

He maybe started making contact with other clubs ready to jump ship. It would explain why the wheels started to fall off the wagon in the month or so before he actually did leave. Would put a whole new spin on us thinking he was a complete :censored:.

He maybe started making contact with other clubs ready to jump ship. It would explain why the wheels started to fall off the wagon in the month or so before he actually did leave. Would put a whole new spin on us thinking he was a complete :censored:.

Always thought this point of view from some fans was slightly unfair, given we weren't in possession of the full facts.

Johnson always kept a dignified silence on the matter, while it was certain members the Board who flapped around in front of the media like fishes out of water..

I always interpreted it (purely guesswork, although there was an in-depth article saying LJ met Ched etc and 'believed him') that LJ was behind the transfer and knew everything.

The club, and Corney, however, chose to take all the flack in order to protect a young manager from the media :censored:storm.

Johnson was looking for jobs regardless of the Evans situation which he was entitled to do. I believe that Johnson was against it initially but his position softened over the ensuing weeks but that may be wide if the mark- no-one really knows. Don't get at all why anyone would think he should have resigned over the board signing a player he wasn't keen to have around anyway. It happens all the time at other clubs.

The clown in this was clearly at a different level who was apparently telling gathered staff, "Don't worry. Nothing will happen or be announced without you finding out first" before the staff then seeing him outside on Sky Sports News making fleeced announcements to the world.

Always thought this point of view from some fans was slightly unfair, given we weren't in possession of the full facts.

Johnson always kept a dignified silence on the matter, while it was certain members the Board who flapped around in front of the media like fishes out of water..

Err it's not about who plays the press best.