Tactics/style of play next season

We played the best football since Royle when we were good under Shez last time round and I, like many I imagine, hoped we'd see similar again next season once he'd steered us clear of the drop....

Thinking about it though, the way we've played so far & the results it's produced has seen us safe and taken over a whole 46 games would have seen us in with a chance of promotion, especially if you discount the first 2 games after he walked into a shambles...

So, how do people think Shez will have/want us playing next season?

I think it depends largely on whether Liam Kelly is still here or not.

Or, vice versa - whether Kelly is here or not might depend on how Shez wants us to play...

If he wants us playing "good football", a passing game, scoring plenty of goals I'm certain he'll want to move Kelly on for money as even his biggest fan has to admit he can't pass, doesn't drive us forward and doesn't chip in with many goals (yes, I know he's our top scorer but that's nothing to shout about this season).

On the other hand he breaks up play very well and that is vitally important if we continue with the style that's seen us safe or even if we adopt a counter attacking style, similar to Leicester where he could do a bit of a Kante role (WHAT? no YOU :censored: off).

I think we'll see similar to what;s served us well this season, especially if Shez can keep most of this squad together and sign Main and/or Holloway.

I think he'd be daft to change it too much, unless his hand is forced by several players going, or certain loanees not signing...

The tactics this season were surely based on what we had and who we could bring in. If he'd been able to sign Taylor to lay it on a plate for for 25 goal CF he would have done. Agree though, I can't see why you'd want many changes in personnel or tactics from the core we have now.

Happy to see the same style of play that brought us play off form in the second half of the season continue next season.

I was more than entertained by the 1 goal wins. I'm entertained by winning.

Alot of bollocks gets written about the style and particularly terms such as "entertainment" and "brand of football" and "philosophy" it's bull:censored: play to your strengths whatever they maybe and play to win. If we'd played a more open and expansive style of play and had gone down due to stupid defending we would all have been thoroughly miserable and frustrated right now.

The Dowie season we all agree is the best season we've had at this level go back and watch the games it was based on grinding out results and a never say die attitude. I was entertained by this.

I think the tactics, especially at home, were dictated by the horrendous state of the playing surface.

Can't agree there, I think the tactics were essentially set up to make sure we didn't concede first and foremost and then try and nick a goal and defend the lead.

Swindon, Walsall and even Crewe managed to knock the ball around confidently even on a poor surface.

Shez simply had to get points on the board and along with Shirtliff has done a fantastic job in difficult circumstances, however, the football has generally not been too pleasing on the eye and I would hope that next season will bring a more expansive and attacking style which can hopefully get us up near the other end of the table and encourage the lost fans and floaters to come back and support the club at BP!

Just watching champions league semi final. The team that Guardiola had at Barcelona was all about tikka takka passing the ball around teams with iniesta xavi and Messi. This Bayern team with levandowski and muller upfront are more about getting it wide and getting crosses in. Both teams delivered multiple league titles. It should depends on the type of strikers you have. Leicesters strength is knocking through balls on for Vardy. During shez's first stint he had porter upfront a number 9 so obviously the tactics were to get the ball wide to Andy Liddell who could could pick out an inch perfect cross.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I think the tactics, especially at home, were dictated by the horrendous state of the playing surface.

Though our home form since Bury is something like W6 D1 L1 which you could argue is worth letting any travelling fairgrounds set up on it for the summer & then more of the same next season.

I did hear though that Sheridan wants Winchester to be a key player for him next season which obviously hints at something magical.

Agreed we need to play to our strengths. Holloway seems to have a few suiters after his signature but Main seems likely keep the spine of the team (or as much of it as we can) and build from there Winchester needs to become the player he was for LJ.

More importantly will we see a the return of the huddle?

Edited by OAFCM35

Just watching champions league semi final. The team that Guardiola had at Barcelona was all about tikka takka passing the ball around teams with iniesta xavi and Messi. This Bayern team with levandowski and muller upfront are more about getting it wide and getting crosses in. Both teams delivered multiple league titles. It should depends on the type of strikers you have. Leicesters strength is knocking through balls on for Vardy. During shez's first stint he had porter upfront a number 9 so obviously the tactics were to get the ball wide to Andy Liddell who could could pick out an inch perfect cross.

By that logic we should partner Cassidy with AP McCoy - he knows how to service a donkey...

Is it only me not getting this thing with holloway? Most, if not all fans would sign him, and clearly a few other clubs would too.

So why can he not get a game for Wycombe?

They offered him a contract renewal last summer, he refused in the hope for a signature of a league one team... they played him on the bench all season for refusing to sign new contract and the way he went about trying to get a new club.

Can't agree there, I think the tactics were essentially set up to make sure we didn't concede first and foremost and then try and nick a goal and defend the lead.

Swindon, Walsall and even Crewe managed to knock the ball around confidently even on a poor surface.

Shez simply had to get points on the board and along with Shirtliff has done a fantastic job in difficult circumstances, however, the football has generally not been too pleasing on the eye and I would hope that next season will bring a more expansive and attacking style which can hopefully get us up near the other end of the table and encourage the lost fans and floaters to come back and support the club at BP!

Can disagree with me all you want and thats fair enough, but Sheridan said himself that he would want to pass the ball around a lot more but its difficult on this surface.

There were plenty of games, especially with Holloway in the team, where we were just lumping it up to him. Thats not a Sheridan way of playing, and I'd be amazed if for one, that wasn't because of the conditions, and two, we set out to play like that next season.

The results have been good, but its not been pretty. (Thats not a complaint btw, it was needs must). I'm hoping next season the level of desire remains, but the quality of football improves. I want to see us get at teams more and create more chances, and I'd be amazed if Sheridan doesn't have us keeping the ball on the deck a lot more. If that happens, results will continue to come.

Shez has stated on more than one occasion what we have seen so far is not the style of football he wants to play. The situation he joined us in with factors such as the state of the pitch meant that hoof ball was the way we had to go to survive.

I don't see that a move towards playing more on the deck attacking football next season is the end of Kelly though. Joe Royle had Milligan and Henry in midfield who's sole purpose was to win the ball back and get it wide for the wingers to do the damage, Kelly would seem to fit that role perfectly.

I expect to see us trying to sign a couple of wingers and a 20 a season striker in the summer along with a commanding CB if we don't sign Gerrard.

As others have pointed out, Shez has gone on record several times to say that we'll play a more attractive style of football next season, but I wonder if his success with this season's style, particularly at home, might mean he has second thoughts?

Personally I think it will depend on how his recruitment goes over the summer. If budget restrictions prevent him recruiting the players he needs for free flowing football he may decide to revert to this season's style, which he knows can be implemented with less talented/creative players.