Bought ourselves a week

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nonaenever

could that be caused by the pitch? lots of players slipping and in parts it cuts up terribly!

our pitch is bobbins - but both teams play on it during a game - and as we play all our home games on it, in theory, we should have an advantage because we know how it "plays". We've just been dreadful at home - let's hope and pray that the manager/coaches finally realise we have to play a different style at home.

our pitch is bobbins - but both teams play on it during a game - and as we play all our home games on it, in theory, we should have an advantage because we know how it "plays". We've just been dreadful at home - let's hope and pray that the manager/coaches finally realise we have to play a different style at home.

I was told that prior to the Swindon game, the ground staff added tons of sand to the pitch. The sand hadn't had time to bed in and the pitch cut up badly, specifically in the area in front of the Main Stand. The surface played much better against MK Dons and should be fine for Scunthorpe.

As you say, we just need to get our 'home' style of play sorted by then...

Yes. Not 'awful finishing'.

It doesn't matter whether you hit the post or stick it wide, if you're consistently missing the target with good chances then it's bad, poor, awful (or whatever other descriptive term) finishing.

Bit worried about Ripley.

Started off looking like a rock but last few weeks he's started to make mistakes.

Might say a lot about Robinson's man-management skill if he can rebuild Ripley's confidence to what made him look like a real find.

That assumes it's an issue of confidence. Might just be one of making mistakes and Ripley is mature enough to recognise that and get on with it.

It doesn't matter whether you hit the post or stick it wide, if you're consistently missing the target with good chances then it's bad, poor, awful (or whatever other descriptive term) finishing.

Yeah but it isn't.

Only if they're actually trying to hit the post or stick it "just" wide.

Do you know something we don't?

Can't see the issue with Ripley myself although I didn't go to Gillingham, keepers especially young uns make the odd howler and to me he seems like the kind of guy who can dust himself down and move on, despite the Preston and MK errors he seemed to me to retain his confidence and was still barking out the orders and commanding his area as before, it's not like he's gone into his shell.

It might be an appalling shot conversion ratio. It's not appalling finishing tho.

If theyre hitting the post it's almost excellent finishing. There will be :censored:ter players out there scuffing them in and looking (on paper) like better players. That's the fine line a striker treads, players like Erwin suffer for being better as they are trying to be more deliberate.

I get that some of don't really get this, possibly through not actually ever really playing Football.

I also get the point that we are suffering for it too and that 'Football is a results business' et cetera. I'm just a more patient person with a finer eye for detail, sorry if that frustrates you into sarcasm. Also, sorry that I love sarcasm.

Can't see the issue with Ripley myself although I didn't go to Gillingham, keepers especially young uns make the odd howler and to me he seems like the kind of guy who can dust himself down and move on, despite the Preston and MK errors he seemed to me to retain his confidence and was still barking out the orders and commanding his area as before, it's not like he's gone into his shell.

Yeah I seem to remember you saying the same about Cornell last season after he had made several errors! :)

Whats Ripley on now?

I make it three.

But I can't include the Charlton one.

Your name says it all pal....I say 4

Funny but after 3/4 mistakes Oldham fans are normally baying for blood. I dont think anyone wants him dropped but he has to sort things out now. It cant keep happening!

ive got him 3 in 3 which is about the rate Cornell was throwing them in his own net. It was a joke refrring to Cornell by the way...

Ripley does seem to be be granted a lot more faith because errors other keepers are slammed for are being ignored.

For how long? Big game needed from him at Bolton IMO

ive got him 3 in 3 which is about the rate Cornell was throwing them in his own net. It was a joke refrring to Cornell by the way...

Ripley does seem to be be granted a lot more faith because errors other keepers are slammed for are being ignored.

For how long? Big game needed from him at Bolton IMO

Isn't it because he's bought that patience by being generally excellent in the previous 10 games? Something Cornell never did!

Think it's because people can tell the difference between a :censored:e keeper playing :censored:e because he's :censored:e and a quality keeper who has just made a couple of errors in judgement along with a shed load of world class saves and great performances. De Gea, Courtois etc all make mistakes that cost goals. They don't get hammered because they're, 99% of the time, extremely good.