Southend game

Robinson won't be sacked. Corney will point to a promising manager who is hamstrung by a restricted budget that in turn is hamstrung by dwindling ST income and gates. It's a vicious circle that been on a steady decline that's now gathering pace.

When we're relegated, and I believe we will be, this season, we will see Corney stand down. The club - in name - will be placed on open sale at a knockdown price with Blitz retaining ownership of the stadium and land. Whoever is mad enough to take ownership will be a sitting tenant paying rent to Blitz unless they uproot and play elsewhere. If they uproot then Blitz will campaign that the land where BP stands is now defunct and development can take place so they can sell the land and recoup majority of their losses.

I know I'm doom and gloom but I cannot see our club existing where it is at the moment under the ownership structure it currently has. It's dying slowly....

The problem is he can't get the best out of the players he's got. They are lacking in energy and show little desire to drive forward at teams, particularly down the flanks.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we HAD a great reputation but as a club with prospects we're non-league/League 2 standard.

That's not solely Corney's fault. I 100% agree he's been naive, incompetent etc in choosing managers but hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?!

Damn right should the fans who DON'T go be blamed for our predicament. If we had 3000 extra on a gate then we'd be shopping from a different window. Why should Corney be blamed for not spending his own money when the people of Oldham who supposedly support this club haven't?

It pisses me off when I spend over £100 to watch a match with travelling costs and someone who lives in walking distance can't be arsed to pay £22! We shouldn't expect winning football - you support a club, win or lose. Granted some have been priced out so incentives or concessions should exist. However if you can afford 3-4 pints on a Saturday then why not spend it on a ticket instead and that £22 - along with 2000 others paying that - can fund better players.

Those people soon find the cash when we draw Liverpool or Everton in the cup

Nearly all the current players were brought in during the summer break.

There is a reason that most of them were available.

How on earth this is envisaged as how a 'team' is created I have no idea.

Younger fans will have got used to this insanity , knowing nothing else , but it cannot and does not work.

There is little or no point in blaming the manager , Wenger & Ferguson working together could do nothing with the club in it's current predicament.

Unless we get substantial investment , it is only a matter of time before our annual brinkmanship game with relegation ends in the worst case scenario.

And just like the only 2 relegations we have had in the last 45 years , we are currently in no state to come back up.

Yes we HAD a great reputation but as a club with prospects we're non-league/League 2 standard.

That's not solely Corney's fault. I 100% agree he's been naive, incompetent etc in choosing managers but hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?!

Damn right should the fans who DON'T go be blamed for our predicament. If we had 3000 extra on a gate then we'd be shopping from a different window. Why should Corney be blamed for not spending his own money when the people of Oldham who supposedly support this club haven't?

It pisses me off when I spend over £100 to watch a match with travelling costs and someone who lives in walking distance can't be arsed to pay £22! We shouldn't expect winning football - you support a club, win or lose. Granted some have been priced out so incentives or concessions should exist. However if you can afford 3-4 pints on a Saturday then why not spend it on a ticket instead and that £22 - along with 2000 others paying that - can fund better players.

:censored: off with your "hindsight is a wonderful thing" pal. Many of us have been telling you what's going to happen for years (only to be staved off for a year or two due to the Liverpool/Everton games) and we've been getting all sorts of :censored: for it. Doom and gloom merchants apparently. We weren't non-league/League Two but have been drained to the point we have become it while Corney and his video nasties fuel this propaganda that we have been punching above our level for a long time. We are now with this starvation and minimal funds coming to OAFC from the OEC. And that's all thanks to that bellend and his 2 mates in New York.

EDIT: Many of those not going now were saying the same and have got sick of both the way we've been run and the Corney Appreciation lot. The divide and conquer in full flow.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Damn right should the fans who DON'T go be blamed for our predicament.

You had my agreement up to here. You cant expect people to turn up because they used to. You have to provide something in return.

If i went to the cinema and got decent seats, good quality sound and visuals but then suddenly was asked to pay more for lower resolution and tinny audio... Should i still hand over money because i used to go regularly? Or should i look elsewhere for more value?

Mistake after mistake has chipped away at the fan base. We haven't suddenly lost the extra 1500-3000 people, its been eroded slowly over years.

You had my agreement up to here. You cant expect people to turn up because they used to. You have to provide something in return.

If i went to the cinema and got decent seats, good quality sound and visuals but then suddenly was asked to pay more for lower resolution and tinny audio... Should i still hand over money because i used to go regularly? Or should i look elsewhere for more value?

Mistake after mistake has chipped away at the fan base. We haven't suddenly lost the extra 1500-3000 people, its been eroded slowly over years.

As you say people look for entertainment and you know before home games you are just not going to get that.

The manager may play 2 up front, but without any desire to support them you won't get goals.

This is the real problem the manager must address without delay.

Pacier wide men and more energetic midfielders willing to drive forward are badly needed.

I sais it after lincoln and nothig has changed. His teams have to have a go....we defended ok early doors this season so the tactic of nicking a goal wasnt that bad. We cant keep clean sheets now so it doesn't work.

I said to my nephew id settle for a 5-1 loss yesterday so i could see a fooking goal. Bored senseless...

My weekly mobile data useage peaked at 3:30pm yesterday...says it all

Nearly all the current players were brought in during the summer break.

There is a reason that most of them were available.

How on earth this is envisaged as how a 'team' is created I have no idea.

Younger fans will have got used to this insanity , knowing nothing else , but it cannot and does not work.

There is little or no point in blaming the manager , Wenger & Ferguson working together could do nothing with the club in it's current predicament.

Unless we get substantial investment , it is only a matter of time before our annual brinkmanship game with relegation ends in the worst case scenario.

And just like the only 2 relegations we have had in the last 45 years , we are currently in no state to come back up.

Pretty much this.

It's a wonder Robinson hasn't tried to give us something to shout about every so often, such was the effective free ride he had after the shambolic circumstances he inherited. A few goals and some valiant defeats would've probably seen most anger diverted to Corney.

He's somehow managed to contrive criticism upon himself in the least accountable job in football history. So far I'd say that is about his greatest achievement in charge of us.

Even you must have some criticism of yesterday's display?

Oh aye. Was awful. Hacked anything to motivate me. The most passionate I got was when Fortune dived in the box. Have to admit I did break my rule of never shouting abuse aimed at players yesterday because Banks was a :censored:ing joke. I suggested Robbo took him off and played with 10.

I genuinely just don't think, that apart from a few, we've got the talent required. I think Robbo has picked the best he can from what was available, few gems in there but the rest rightly available because they clearly aren't good enough.

To a point I can see why we sit back to try and defend because who are we relying on to create anything? Banks isn't even league 2 standard from the 1st half of season. Croft can't play 90 and that's not the managers fault it's Croft's.

Ripley, Clarke, Dummigan, McGlaughlin only league 1 players we have

Flynn as and when he can be bothered. He tripped over the ball about 5 times yesterday.

Fane has potential.

McKay I feel sorry for.

Still think Robinson needs time. He needs to find more players like those mentioned earlier over the next 2 transfer windows and build a squad of decent players.

Pretty much this.

It's a wonder Robinson hasn't tried to give us something to shout about every so often, such was the effective free ride he had after the shambolic circumstances he inherited. A few goals and some valiant defeats would've probably seen most anger diverted to Corney.

He's somehow managed to contrive criticism upon himself in the least accountable job in football history. So far I'd say that is about his greatest achievement in charge of us.

That's a great post.

Oh aye. Was awful. Hacked anything to motivate me. The most passionate I got was when Fortune dived in the box. Have to admit I did break my rule of never shouting abuse aimed at players yesterday because Banks was a :censored:ing joke. I suggested Robbo took him off and played with 10.

I genuinely just don't think, that apart from a few, we've got the talent required. I think Robbo has picked the best he can from what was available, few gems in there but the rest rightly available because they clearly aren't good enough.

To a point I can see why we sit back to try and defend because who are we relying on to create anything? Banks isn't even league 2 standard from the 1st half of season. Croft can't play 90 and that's not the managers fault it's Croft's.

Ripley, Clarke, Dummigan, McGlaughlin only league 1 players we have

Flynn as and when he can be bothered. He tripped over the ball about 5 times yesterday.

Fane has potential.

McKay I feel sorry for.

Still think Robinson needs time. He needs to find more players like those mentioned earlier over the next 2 transfer windows and build a squad of decent players.

Can't agree with that about Croft at all. Robbo has given him a wage. He had the chance to get rid and use it on others but hasn't (I'd imagine he gets paid a little more than most others too.) You can't then use Crofts inability to provide more than 10 minutes effectiveness on Croft himself.

As for Flynn, he needs to be central. Anyone with a brain knows this. Can only assume Robbo is simply thick as :censored:. But it's still no reason for Flynn to be a complete :censored: for the time he was on the pitch.

That post above about Robbo :censored:ing up what is one of the least accountable jobs in football is painfully spot on. And he would've brought in the likes of Green, Erwin and McKay even if he had more in the kitty. It's the Ladapo, Reckords and Laws that probably would've been looking for better than.

He simply is a clown and needs binning off while we are still somehow in touch with 20th place.

Edited by boundaryblue80

As for Flynn, he needs to be central. Anyone with a brain knows this. Can only assume Robbo is simply thick as :censored:. But it's still no reason for Flynn to be a complete :censored: for the time he was on the pitch.

I can only assume that Flynn is another Mike Jones: somebody who tells the manager he prefers to play on the wing when he's quite clearly more effective in a central role.

Johnson had the bollocks to play him where he was best, not where he wanted. Dunn and Kelly didn't, and we were a far worse team for it. Considering Flynn has been impressive every time we look dangerous, unlocking his potential should be a priority.

If we could get him to vacate that wing spot we could replace him with Erwin, who would do a decent job there.

I can only assume that Flynn is another Mike Jones: somebody who tells the manager he prefers to play on the wing when he's quite clearly more effective in a central role.

Johnson had the bollocks to play him where he was best, not where he wanted. Dunn and Kelly didn't, and we were a far worse team for it. Considering Flynn has been impressive every time we look dangerous, unlocking his potential should be a priority.

If we could get him to vacate that wing spot we could replace him with Erwin, who would do a decent job there.

Erwin has played out wide and been utter dog:censored: too (see Rochdale). Just not signing wingers and persisting with throwing a wage at Croft has nailed Robbo's hat on. But I said that in Aug/Sept and text as much into GMR when he was on it last. He was content with his lot though and didn't feel we needed any more wingers with Ryan McLaughlin to come in when fit. Silly man. Edited by boundaryblue80

Yesterday's performance was no different than what we've been seeing all season. Lots of huffing and puffing with absolutely no end product! Midfield players devoid of any craft, guile or tackling ability, wide men who just run up blind alleys, strikers who's control is woeful and hardly ever manage to get a shot in.

Only the defence (collectively) have performed to anything like a good enough standard this season, and even they let themselves down yesterday. Both goals came from calamitous mistakes, admittedly the second one came from a midfield player rather than a defender but Southend had other opportunities caused by defensive mix-ups.

I don't necessarily blame the players though, I think some of them are playing to their level which is basically League 2 or below, which is probably where they will be next season.

The gates have a direct impact on the budget that can be spent on players coming in, and we simply do no generate enough income to bring in the quality that we need.

The faithful fans will continue to go to games but there simply aren't enough of them.

Hopefully if we do go down this season we might be a winning team next year, at least it would be better to watch. But I'm not counting on it! ⚽

We have a mid table L2 budget at the moment. Relegation will mean less season tickets sold and reduce the budget further, Next season we will have a bottom half L2 budget, and players recruited will be the same as the lot we have now, some being worse. Crowds will fall further, until we have a bottom six budget and we struggle every year to stay in the league. Eventually the inevitable happens (like this season) and we fall into non league football with a mid table budget. And so it goes on. No-one in their right mind would buy the club without the land and income from the OEC, and the cost of that just isn't worth investing in.

We have a mid table L2 budget at the moment. Relegation will mean less season tickets sold and reduce the budget further, Next season we will have a bottom half L2 budget, and players recruited will be the same as the lot we have now, some being worse. Crowds will fall further, until we have a bottom six budget and we struggle every year to stay in the league. Eventually the inevitable happens (like this season) and we fall into non league football with a mid table budget. And so it goes on. No-one in their right mind would buy the club without the land and income from the OEC, and the cost of that just isn't worth investing in.

Do we? Your knowledge of L1 and L2 budgets is impressive.

Based on what our trust rep has said we have a budget of above £1.3m.

I'd take that budget with a pinch of salt, I'm not privy to what it covers but we have 18 paid professionals on the books, I do know that our five loan players wages are being near on covered by their parent clubs so that leaves a budget of around £25k a week to cover 18 players wages, that's an average of around £1300 a week, I suspect Flynn, Clarke, Green, Banks and Dummigan are on around that figure but can't for the life of me see where that budgets going.

Does it include other wages for the manager, assistant, analyst, physio, kit man?

Do we? Your knowledge of L1 and L2 budgets is impressive.

Based on what our trust rep has said we have a budget of above £1.3m.

SR has stated in interviews that we have a bottom six budget. I am basing my estimates on gates. We sit 14th in L2 just below Blackpool. Other clubs also get income from events outside football, during the week. We don't.

Edited by al_bro