Fans' Meeting 12 noon, Mon 2nd Jan before Port Vale at Home?

Guest nonaenever

Guest nonaenever

Hi - just to let everyone know, I have a provisional booking for an Oldham town centre venue from 12 noon until 2pm on the date of Port Vale at home (Monday 2nd Jan). I`m quite happy to stand the cost but just wanted to make sure this suits as many as possible before going ahead and paying. It will bring together the subjects of "Questions for the Chairman and the "OAFC - Oldham Athletic Fans' Charter".

A bar will be available for pre-match drinks and the meeting will have a proper agenda and structure with time to consider all views - cheers and hope for as much support as possible on the day.

Hi - just to let everyone know, I have a provisional booking for an Oldham town centre venue from 12 noon until 2pm on the date of Port Vale at home (Monday 2nd Jan). I`m quite happy to stand the cost but just wanted to make sure this suits as many as possible before going ahead and paying. It will bring together the subjects of "Questions for the Chairman and the "OAFC - Oldham Athletic Fans' Charter".

A bar will be available for pre-match drinks and the meeting will have a proper agenda and structure with time to consider all views - cheers and hope for as much support as possible on the day.

Not at the OEC?

Guest nonaenever

Not at the OEC?

No - not the OEC - my thinking was that, in view of the subject matter and some probable high emotions, a neutral venue would be best. It's not booked yet, so if people think a venue at the ground would be better - that can be looked in to.

The downside will be attending the match after.

If you are standing the cost of the bar I think you can count on a decent turn out

Unlike the group in the summer Who had the best intentions but were poorly organised, you seem articulate, thoughtful and are looking to have your views considered and hold individuals to account for the mess we are in. You are looking for answers and I applaud you. You are looking for a collective voice of shared aims and goals and this seems to be the perfect antidote to the club's divide and conquer tactics.

Count me in i'll be there. Very interested to hear how this pans out.

Well done nnn.

Can I just respond to a couple of comments on here by saying that this is a meeting of fans only in my view. It is to explore how we as fans think we might be able to affect positive change and what our approach to the club should be.

This is not a meeting to be inviting club reps to at this stage. No need to hide it from them but it is not a forum for

questioning club reps. It's too early for that and it would inevitably descend into farce in any case.

Happy to help coordinate in any way.

Only comment being that we might need a couple of hours. Would an 11am start be better perhaps?

Guest nonaenever

Well done nnn.

Can I just respond to a couple of comments on here by saying that this is a meeting of fans only in my view. It is to explore how we as fans think we might be able to affect positive change and what our approach to the club should be.

This is not a meeting to be inviting club reps to at this stage. No need to hide it from them but it is not a forum for

questioning club reps. It's too early for that and it would inevitably descend into farce in any case.

Happy to help coordinate in any way.

Only comment being that we might need a couple of hours. Would an 11am start be better perhaps?

Andy - spot on - this is an initial meeting for fans ONLY in order to 1) prepare for the "Questions to the Chairman" and 2) See if there is an appetite to start up an independent supporters' group (i.e. separate from the Trust). As I`m looking to book the venue tomorrow, I can certainly accommodate and 11am gathering for a formal 11.30am or 12 noon start, which would give us a couple of hours with plenty of time to then get to the game.

Guest nonaenever

Unfortunately, this is OFF for the 2nd January. Several people who previously expressed a strong desire have emailed me to say they now think this is futile and that we are in terminal decline. On reflection, it probably doesn't help with the time of year we are at either - I didn't see our downward spiral being so rapid and, in all honesty, this was probably needed at the start of the season before the rot truly set in.

Thank you to the couple of people who offered help, assistance and (in one case) even to chip in for the venue. It's pointless, however, shelling out for a venue in view of the anticipated small numbers attending.

It may well be the case that apathy has, in fact, won the day.

If there is one consistent message that is being relayed to me by people recently, it's this; PLEASE can the Trust make its voice heard on behalf of the fans?

​The general consensus is that the silence from the Trust is deafening and several messages have applauded this initiative but asked, "Why aren't the Trust doing this - aren't they supposed to represent the fans?

Please, Trust people; don't shoot the messenger; I am simply highlighting what is being said.

Finally, a very happy Christmas to everyone and here's hoping for a miracle (again) in 2017.

To be honest, I've long decided the general apathy by supporters at the club has been sort of manufactured by SC. On the face of it we've been utterly asset stripped in the past 5 seasons. When it's done in an aggressive, urgent and crucially, obvious way like at some clubs it generates a rebellious instinct among supporters and more importantly creates a togetherness that supporters bond to. It's entirely the opposite with us. A good proportion still feel his hands are tied and he's doing his best with what he has got (i.e. keeping us up for the past few seasons). The bottom line is fans are divided about their feelings about the owners and the running of the club. Its a sort of silent civil war really.

I've largely turned my back on the club now. I used to have something to support. Young players we've brought through and nurtured to raise cash for the next one. Even when Shez returned and we made a Great Escape 2.0 I just felt a huge part of the soul of the club was missing. A rare positive moment was engulfed and drowned by negative news. We stayed up and in an instant Shez was gone to (in my eyes) a more lowly club than us (with no disrespect to Notts County intended). I think the only thing that is likely to make me return on a regular basis is if a new owner comes in bringing a feelgood factor back (unlikely) or we evolve into a fan-owned model where I can feel part of something. As long as SC and the gang peddle the chronic apathy around the club that looks even more unlikely to me.

Sigh.

Guest nonaenever

nnn, is this just a temporary thing? A meeting could be held pre match another day in a pub, depending on numbers?

real, I`ll keep tabs on here. A mate of mine does manage a pub that would be convenient and I could have a word with him. I`m hoping that the fact it is the holiday season is a big contributing factor to the general lack of interest for the 2nd (although a few previously really keen people appear to have genuinely thrown in the towel). It could be resurrected for the home game with Gillingham on 14th January - let's see what the feedback is?

Guest nonaenever

Will you still be meeting with Corney?

The idea of the fans' meeting was partly to prepare for that (i.e. agree the final list of questions - see if anyone else wanted to be present at the interview etc). However, as time marches on, there is a danger of that losing its impetus. So, yes, I do intend approaching Simon Corney and pressing ahead with this, if he will (bearing in mind he did ask for certain detractors to come along and speak to him). I`ll quite happily wear my Jeremy Paxman mask and put the questions to him. Leave that with me - cheers.