The January Window

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edmundson is going? First I'd seen of that. Such a shame to lose our home grown players so soon. Especially when he'll just end up another Scott Spencer etc. Never understand why if a young player is on loan from another club, he gets game time (Erwin et al), yet if he's our own we don't play them or farm them out on loan.

I presume that managers decide that a relegation battle calls for hardened pros rather than newbies, but I sometimes think that the adage of if you're good enough you're old enough is true.

SC commented in the recent meeting notes that he felt our younger players should be given a chance. And I also read on here that scouts are surprised that Edmundson is not in our first team.

Never seen him, would love to see him turn out on Saturday for us.

I presume that managers decide that a relegation battle calls for hardened pros rather than newbies, but I sometimes think that the adage of if you're good enough you're old enough is true.

SC commented in the recent meeting notes that he felt our younger players should be given a chance. And I also read on here that scouts are surprised that Edmundson is not in our first team.

Never seen him, would love to see him turn out on Saturday for us.

Shame really. It does make you wonder whether Corney just wants them in the team to showcase them in order to hasten a more immediate sale rather than developing them for perhaps a more substantial figure later down the line. I know its easy to be critical with finances being the way they are and what not but you would hope that lessons had been learnt with previous players being cashed in on too soon. The most frustrating thing is that although I'm sure no fee received is negligible in our predicament, we've probably still spent more on people like Dummigan, Fane, Rhys Murphy etc in the very recent past. All seems a bit whimsical.

Why do we feel other teams youngsters are better equipped than our own for a relegation battle, is Burgess that much better than Edmondson, would we of been any worse off playing him in front of Burn last season? He could already of had 50 appearances under his belt and become an asset for the club but we have a policy of allowing other teams youngsters to play for us and make there mistakes, we should back our own a bit more and give them the opportunity, some will sink but some will swim and it's our only real hope of hitting the jackpot if we unearth a good un, I suppose the biggest factor in all of this is stability in a management team where these players can be developed without a change of manager every six month.

Edmundson - would be a shame but if he can bring cash in and some sell-ons then maybe OK.

Clarke - could argue that with Gerrard we don't need him, but I'd disagree with that and say he is more important than Gerrard.

Taylor - great moral boost for fans and decent player at this level.

Losing Irwin / McKay - fine.

I think the real argument lies with the question of are we down without Clarke?

I'm tempted to say yes.

Defence will cope, Dunne should be back in a few weeks time and we can also recall Jamie Scott who has been doing well for Curzon Ashton? It's goals we need more than anything.

Edited by BP1960

He's not only solid at the back but causes problems in the oppositions box - a big loss for me and a real roll of the dice. As it stands we're down, take the punt if it means we can keep Edmondson develop him to sell on for a meaty fee. Take the gamble if it means Taylor and a midfielder. Wilson can play CB so we've options. If I'm honest at Shrewsbury and vs Bradford Clarke was all over the place and for me perhaps him and AG are a bit too similar. Is there only room for one one alpha male? AND Gerrard is more of a footballer...but I'd rather keep PC. Pretty obvious though Edmondson apart he's our only saleable asset to allow us to wheel and deal.

Remember Warnock selling Bez and Henry? That didn't work, we still went down, hopefully this will pay off.

Edited by oafcprozac