The January Window

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'd be down already if we'd not had him for the twenty odd games he's played, look at the Carlisle game if you want to know if we'd cope or not.

Problem as we know yarddog is if decent money is on offer the club will take it. Although I've been a critic of the regime I think as a trade off for more goals this is one we have to accept.

I don't like best players being sold, but the fact of life here is until there's new investment this is the reality.

Edited by BP1960

We'd be down already if we'd not had him for the twenty odd games he's played, look at the Carlisle game if you want to know if we'd cope or not.

We've got Gerrard now who's basically the exact same player. The two of them playing together hasn't exactly made us impenetrable. If he wants to go lets get it done quick. It will free up a wage (surely one of the highest paid) and if we can get a half decent fee (he only has till the end of the season remember) then it should allow us to bring in a creative type (hopefully).

Problem as we know yarddog is if decent money is on offer the club will take it. Although I've been a critic of the regime I think as a trade off for more goals this is one we have to accept.

I don't like best players being sold, but the fact of life here is until there's new investment this is the reality.

Don't think this one is about money.

Agree, BUT there's obviously not the funds to bring in the players we need to balance the side out. Sometimes you have to wheel and deal.

Shez has said we need to score goals, clean sheets won't keep us up now.

If this allows us to bring in two footballing midfielders it could be the right move.

A good player, and one our highlights this season.

But, I think against Bradford we saw the risk of playing two slow but good centre backs - we drop too deep.

Potentially its a case of Clarke or Gerrard in starting line-up - and one is going to get some money through the door.

Not ideal, because injuries and suspensions will be a big risk, but have to trust that Shez thinks it's the best for the club. If it allows for a new face or two in other areas of the pitch is might be a master stroke.

We won't survive in this by division simply having a good defence at this stage.....it's goals we need and if we can't improve that aspect we're are as good as down.

I trust Shez will have a player or two in mind and if Clarke really wants to go then it would be futile to try and keep him.

Let's see what today brings...f5 f5 f5

Moving the deckchairs around again but that's why Shez is here to try and navigate us around the iceberg rather than into it.

Clarke is a rock and a leader but Gerrard can do a similar role and we need mobility in that back line.

We need an injection in the midfield, on the left and that will hopefully unlock our strike force to score a few and push us up the table.

It's Oldham though so expect by 11pm that Clarke is gone and we secure a rookie midfielder and spend the rest of this season clenching ourselves. Taylor would obviously give us a massive boost but hes doubtful this window according to Shez, which suggests we'll sign as a free agent outside that window or in the summer when we could be in League 2 :(

The guess is that at 35 and contract runs out at the end of the year you are motivated by what is best for your career.

Option (1) Stay at a club that is fighting relegation, that has signed another centre half on a 2 1/2 year deal, and are strapped for cash and unlikely to offer either any deal, or a good one for next season

Option (2) Move to a club with a chance of promotion, that is likely to offer at least an 18 month contract and probably on better wages.

Not a hard decision is it.

We won't even get Rochdale's tea lady as a replacement for that.

Shocking if those figures are right.

Given that many players at this level move for free at the end of contracts, that there is only 5 months or so left on his, and he is 35 - doesn't seem to bad.

Would also guess his wage was/is one of the higher at thlevel club, so as well as £50k, it frees up money for salaries.

Based on last year, I will reserve judgement on transfer window activity until it's complete, and I have seen the players in action a few times.

Wasn't bowled over last year by Main / Palmer et al but was pleasantly surprised.

You do all realise we're second bottom of league 1 and he's our best player?

But drawing 0-0 won't keep us up. I'd rather win majority of our games 3-2 by reinvesting whatever we get in fees and saved wages if he leaves. However knowing Oldham we'd replace and start losing 0-2 instead of drawing games

The guess is that at 35 and contract runs out at the end of the year you are motivated by what is best for your career.

Option (1) Stay at a club that is fighting relegation, that has signed another centre half on a 2 1/2 year deal, and are strapped for cash and unlikely to offer either any deal, or a good one for next season

Option (2) Move to a club with a chance of promotion, that is likely to offer at least an 18 month contract and probably on better wages.

Not a hard decision is it.

oh I see they want to sign him to lock up there defence and gain promotion, and play a 36yo c/b in the championship?