The January Window

You do all realise we're second bottom of league 1 and he's our best player?

I do.

And in a perfect (well not even perfect, but a less crappy) world we would keep him and make other changes to the squad.

However, with Clarke we are still second bottom, and without something different are going down.

We have to hope that Gerard in place of Clarke can keep the defensive unity together that we have seen, and that the money and wages from Clarke can be used to fix our big problem of lack of goals.

I like Clarke a lot. Him and Ripley have been players of the season for me so far - but would I swap Clarke for Gerrard + some improvements to the midfield/forward line? Yes. Not happily, but I think it might be a necessary 'shuffling of the titanic deckchairs' as someone mentioned that we need to survive.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Save on his wages

Get money in for him

Use the wages/money to get in the creative player(s) we desperately need

Keep and play Edmondson along side Gerrard so he can develop with us

Some reasons why this may be a good deal for us. Big IFs mind.

For those who think £30K is a bit short,what would you value Clarke at?

To a club trying to buy a player for a position that they need in order to try for promotion a lot closer to £100K.

It is not so much as what value he has to us which I still think is high to try to keep us up.

It is more the riches of the Championship which Scunthorpe are trying to attain.

For those who think £30K is a bit short,what would you value Clarke at?

Whats the value in the lost ticket sales and TV money between league one and two?

I'm making figures up, but I'm saying the TV money is £80k and lost ticket sales would equate to at least another (8000 fewer adult tickets sold) £160k.

So they can have him for the bargain price of £240k.

Depends on how much we need him out to fund other players. If the deal doesn't happen do we then miss out on our targets? They may have other options too. Makes our bargaining position weaker.

That doesn't help with any of our deals - we generally need the money, we're generally at the bottom of the league and in a bit of a desperate situation, so we can generally get pushed around more when it comes to negotiations.

Whats the value in the lost ticket sales and TV money between league one and two?

I'm making figures up, but I'm saying the TV money is £80k and lost ticket sales would equate to at least another (8000 fewer adult tickets sold) £160k.

So they can have him for the bargain price of £240k.

I'm not sure season tickets would go down if fans thought we could bounce straight back, also a winning team in Division 2 could increase the pay on the day fans. Hopefully though it won't come to that and we stay in this division.

I'm not sure season tickets would go down if fans thought we could bounce straight back, also a winning team in Division 2 could increase the pay on the day fans. Hopefully though it won't come to that and we stay in this division.

I was thinking of travelling support to BP. We won't be getting Sheff U, Bolton, Bradford et al.

So generally we are in the :censored:

Ha, yes, pretty much.

Some small positive shoots of recovery with Gerrard and Holloway on long term deals. And Shez back to stay (for longer than a few months hopefully).

If we can improve our overall position we can be more bullish when it comes to negotiation, but at the moment I can see how other clubs can take advantage of our position.

Average away following is 400 less in League 2

400 x £20 = £8,000

23 x £8,000 = £180,000

Solidarity payment is significantly lower as well, a £30,000 fee is nothing if we get relegated, we spunked £100,000 plus on a pointless season ticket offer yet want to offload our one standout outfield player for a pittance.

Edited by yarddog73

Shez has said we need to score goals, clean sheets won't keep us up now.

If this allows us to bring in two footballing midfielders it could be the right move.

This.

We could keep a clean sheet in every single game from now until the end of the season and we'd still go down if we don't start scoring.

I'd like us to keep Clarke in an ideal world but we need to start winning regularly and we haven't looked like doing that all season with the current personnel.

Average away following is 400 less in League 2

400 x £20 = £8,000

23 x £8,000 = £180,000

Solidarity payment is significantly lower as well, a £30,000 fee is nothing if we get relegated, we spunked £100,000 plus on a pointless season ticket offer yet want to offload our one standout outfield player for a pittance.

We probably don't want to though.

Clarke is a good threat at set pieces but he hasn't been as invincible as people think lately.

He will be on a good wage and we've managed without him. Players of his age can get 'old' almost overnight.

Been a great help the first part of the season but

I'd let him go if it guaranteed the other players we need.

@Matt_Chambers_

Latics trying hard on various fronts. Not least to keep hold of Peter Clarke. #oafc

‏@Matt_Chambers_

Difficult though when a player makes it clear he wants to go. #oafc

Clarke was one of our 2 best players in the 1st half of the season, but if he goes to allow us to strengthen in other areas I have no problem with it. Especially if he wants to go.

He has been our best outfield player by a country mile so would be gutted to see him go.

While on the face of it a good move for Clarke there is an excellent chance Scunthorpe will get promoted and can you see him playing in the Championship next season, I personally wouldn't think so.

He would therefore be faced with not being a regular and he does not strike me as someone happy to be on the bench or finding a new club next season.

I also don't want him to go as I would like to bear witness to the Calvin Andrew retribution.