Fantasy Football Live

In a moment of boredom during a meeting at work the week before we sacked SR and appointed JS I started to think about options for a revolutionary idea in football.

Rather than appoint a new manager - why not let the supporters manage the team?

Coaches would be required for the day to day preparation of the team, and probably a director of football to help with the acquisition of new players, but would it be possible to set up a process for allowing supporters to control their own team?

Using website / mobile apps, registered supporters would select their preferred formation and players to fill the starting line-ups and subs bench - majority decision making process for each would be the manner in which the team was selected. Substitutions during the game would follow the same process - supporters click to say they want to make a substitution and again a majority approach to determine when it happens and who swaps out.

Position / type of players that we wanted to be signed could be done via similar processes / or ones we want to get rid of. The information used to inform the coach / DoF where to look.

To be part of the process there would have to be some form of system to prevent it being abused. Maybe only open to ST holders? Or you an pay an extra £5 per match to be able to influence the game (paying gets you a code to enter on the site / app).

Potential upsides for this approach:

(1) It would get the club that does it an immense amount of media interest

(2) The revenue that it could make could be helpful

(3) Fans would feel directly connected to the club - right help attract and retain new supporters

Downsides:

Loads I am sure, but would include:

(1) Would the players feel like they lacked leadership? Would the coach be enough?

(2) Could opposition fans 'hack' the system and influence the outcome?

(3) We couldn't have 'sack the manager' threads on OWTB

Bored and interested in views - certainly would be a revolutionary approach. Could sell the 'rights' to the TV?

Sell rights to what? We'd still be a relegation threatened League One side with average/poor players.

Ebbsfleet tried it to a degree - not picking the team - and abandoned it. Some thoughts on problems (yeah, I'm taking the glass half-empty approach, sorry):

- coaches/DoF won't be keen - no authority, decisions at the whim of fans, very little reason for them to want the job

- players probably not keen - as you say

- how are fans supposed to know the best team? who's injured? unfit? training badly? hungover on match day?

- how are fans supposed to react to the opposition? what formation will they play? what's their style? who's in their lineup?

- how can the team be effectively coached if the players and tactics will be decided and changed at any time by vote on a whim?

- signings - how are fans supposed to know whether a player is any good? or whether we can afford them? or their contract demands for signing?

I can't see many professional players or staff wanting to work under such restrictions and uncertainty.

Doesn't this thread belong slap bang in the middle of pre-season?

Perhaps, but given that we've just changed manager I thought it might warrant posting (and I'd forget about it by the closed season)

Sell rights to what? We'd still be a relegation threatened League One side with average/poor players.

Ebbsfleet tried it to a degree - not picking the team - and abandoned it. Some thoughts on problems (yeah, I'm taking the glass half-empty approach, sorry):

- coaches/DoF won't be keen - no authority, decisions at the whim of fans, very little reason for them to want the job

- players probably not keen - as you say

- how are fans supposed to know the best team? who's injured? unfit? training badly? hungover on match day?

- how are fans supposed to react to the opposition? what formation will they play? what's their style? who's in their lineup?

- how can the team be effectively coached if the players and tactics will be decided and changed at any time by vote on a whim?

- signings - how are fans supposed to know whether a player is any good? or whether we can afford them? or their contract demands for signing?

I can't see many professional players or staff wanting to work under such restrictions and uncertainty.

Not that I disagree, but not sure that DK/DD/SR added much above a web-based voting system. Any evidence of tactics, coaching, knowing the best team etc has been absent for the most of the last 2 years.

re: Signings. I'd limit it to supporters indicating the position we need i.e. striker, winger, right-back etc and then let the DOF work out who is available / affordable. Could look at the Moneybag approach?

re: updates on players fitness / form etc. This could take the form of reports available from the coach / DOF a few days before the game, supporters read and make their judgements

re: Opposition - again scouting reports could be made available for supporters to read and take account in their views on the formation / players etc.

Hadn't realised Ebbsfleet had done something, will have a read.

Just think that the technology is available to do something, and the first professional football club to experiment will be of interest (hence why you might find a TV station wanting to do a documentary on it). Finally, it might be a way to engage with the fans, and grow the fanbase in a way that Latics are failing to do.

Not sure that its a serious suggestion, but as I said, was a bit bored and started to mull the idea over.

Read a reasonable article on Ebbsfleet.

Seemed in the end to focus more on the running of the club rather than the team, and that the people that joined the scheme were more generally interested in the process than being fans of the team (the club wasn't selected until a way through the process).

A little different to my view, which was more a interactive team selection / substitution one.

Tbh honest I don't think many fans would go for it never mind players. If arguments on here are anything to go by nobody would agree what's best and you would end up with something half baked in the middle ground. To be successful takes 1 leader in my opinion who can make snap decisions. Who can be provided active whereas fans would be reactive

Tbh honest I don't think many fans would go for it never mind players. If arguments on here are anything to go by nobody would agree what's best and you would end up with something half baked in the middle ground. To be successful takes 1 leader in my opinion who can make snap decisions. Who can be provided active whereas fans would be reactive