Strikers?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of the other 9 outfield players. With Holloway/Ngoo grabbing a couple over the next 16 games.

With O'Neill/Banks we look considerably more dangerous from set-pieces than we have done of late.

So 2 goals from our strikers?

So 2 goals from our strikers?

1.) Do goals from strikers count double?

2.) It depends how you class McLaughlin, Taylor, Obadeyi, Flynn and Erwin, all of whom are likely to 'partner' Holloway/Ngoo up front at some stage, but there's not a striker amongst them, I can see the first 4 all scoring between now and May though. Osei might grab one, depending on how much time he gets, but any goal he gets this season will be a bonus, he is "one for the future".

3.) There are 16 games left, our last 2 wins have been the result of someone other than Holloway/Ngoo scoring. It doesn't matter how many goals Holloway/Ngoo get if we don't win the number of games needed to stay up.

Just who is going to score goals from the lot we have?

Still the biggest concern.

I never thought last season that Holloway or Main looked like players that would score goals, but the type of player that needs someone alongside them who will.

Holloway got injured before it would have been fair to confirm that view and then Curtis completely proved me wrong.

This season Holloway continues to look like a target man / foil type player. Alongside him we just don't seem have any obvious strong candidates.

I think the problem is deeper than the lack of a goal scorer. I still see a general lack of impetuous to get players forward with pace to support an attack.

We are too pedestrian when attacking, and there are far too many times when we have the ball in forward positions and there will be one Latics player in the box (the other forward player out wide looking to cross) and 4 or 5 opposition defenders. That becomes a very hard situation to fashion an opening from.

Where are the midfielders and full backs sprinting forward to give options?

Also - when we do get the ball, we generally build slowly which gives the other team chance to get back and defend with backs to the goal. You want to go with pace and have them running back towards the goal where they are likely to make mistakes.

Not sure a "centre forward" will make a difference until Shez can change the team style of play

50 points probably keeps you up this time, won't need loads of goals to get the required points.

You could go down if you concede more than you score, as is a possibility with this squad.

Edited by BP1960

We don't concede a lot of goals, no reason to think that changes.

There is the risk that in an attempt to score more goals, Sheridan does instruct the team (as I have argued we need to in another post) to be more attacking.

In doing so we lose some of our relative defensive strength but our strikers don't take the opportunities we create.

I remember years back under Royle we were a free flowing attacking team but with a suspect defence. Attempts to fix the defence resulted in far fewer goals and arguably we were worse if in terms of points being won.

We're not a lot different to how we were under Shez last season. Not pretty but effective. A good win against the odds on Saturday. But for a bent ref last night we would've got a point I wasn't expecting. Win on Saturday and things will look miles better as we will be on the coat-tails of a bunch of clubs above 20th place. Taylor, O'Neill and Hunt are new additions that will take time to gel. Holloway took a handful of games to get going last season before injury hit.

I did feel us not selling Clarke meant it cost us getting in a sorely needed striker but we will have to live with it (and losing Clarke would've seen us down IMO.) This is the culmination of last summer, Robbo :censored:ing it up in the cups and us being skint. It'll be close but I think 48pts will be enough (going off last seasons 45pts for the drop) and out of the 16 games left, I can see us getting the 5 wins and 5 draws needed. I'd prefer more of a safety gap than that but if someone offered me 48pts now, I'd take it.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I think the problem is deeper than the lack of a goal scorer. I still see a general lack of impetuous to get players forward with pace to support an attack.

We are too pedestrian when attacking, and there are far too many times when we have the ball in forward positions and there will be one Latics player in the box (the other forward player out wide looking to cross) and 4 or 5 opposition defenders. That becomes a very hard situation to fashion an opening from.

Where are the midfielders and full backs sprinting forward to give options?

Also - when we do get the ball, we generally build slowly which gives the other team chance to get back and defend with backs to the goal. You want to go with pace and have them running back towards the goal where they are likely to make mistakes.

Not sure a "centre forward" will make a difference until Shez can change the team style of play

Nail on head. Last night was my first game this season, and that's exactly how we played. I'd noticed it in previous games on the highlights, but it's clear when watching live that it's our biggest problem.

Little overlapping, players preferring to turn back inside and play the safer pass, very few runners into the box and on the odd occasion it does happen there's no one willing to risk the killer pass. The intent wasn't there last night, and nothing changed after half time (got worse if anything), so gave the impression we were going for a 0-0.

4 goals scored by strikers this season (league games) or 5 if you include McLaughlin as he was playing up front. This has to be a record of some sort. Our 35 year old centre half has scored twice as many for uws this season than all the strikers we have on the books!

As already mentioned it doesn't matter who scores but it is hard work when you have nobody upfront you can rely on to pop up from time to time.

Nail on head. Last night was my first game this season, and that's exactly how we played. I'd noticed it in previous games on the highlights, but it's clear when watching live that it's our biggest problem.

Little overlapping, players preferring to turn back inside and play the safer pass, very few runners into the box and on the odd occasion it does happen there's no one willing to risk the killer pass. The intent wasn't there last night, and nothing changed after half time (got worse if anything), so gave the impression we were going for a 0-0.

I thought Taylor, O'Neill and Obedayi were brought in to change that, or is it despite Shez wanting to attack the coach is stifling them?

Edited by BP1960

Exactly. It was obvious from early in the game that we were set up for a point. In a way Sheridan was at fault because of his defensive mindset which saw many on the pitch unwilling to take a chance. Disappointed with the approach, gutted with the way we lost it at the death.