Strikers?

I thought Taylor, O'Neill and Obedayi were brought in to change that, or is it despite Shez wanting to attack the coach is stifling them?

When you look at the players most involved in attacks (full backs, midfield and up front) 5 of the 8 that started last night were new. So there shouldn't have been any residual lack of confidence or intent that the previous manager may have caused. I just think that's how we set up last night. Letting them come out of defence to create space in behind is absolutely fine. But we didn't then then press when in our half to try and win the ball back and counter quickly.

I don't buy that the coach is so influential that the players ignore the manager just to do what he says. If that's what you're suggesting.

Saying all that, I think we'll get enough points against teams in and around us to stay up.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to remember that last year we stayed up by playing pretty defensive football. It was better than what we'd seen previously but it was all based upon 1-0 wins. I don't see Shez changing anything dramatically this time round. It worked once and with a 50% win record since coming back it seems to be working again.

We have to remember that last year we stayed up by playing pretty defensive football. It was better than what we'd seen previously but it was all based upon 1-0 wins. I don't see Shez changing anything dramatically this time round. It worked once and with a 50% win record since coming back it seems to be working again.

Yes. Last year wasn't pretty but it was better than what we'd seen before.

Last night we set up and played for a 0-0 and it very nearly came off, let's put things in perspective a little and be realistic about expectations, a third of last night's team have hardly played 90 minutes all season never mind twice in four days, majority of last night's team played in a team on Saturday down to ten men for close on 55 minutes and Shez probably viewed last night as anything gained as a bonus, Saturday is a huge game and Shez probably has one eye on that, there's no doubt we are short up top but let's give them a week or two together before we judge whether they can score the goals to keep us up.

When you look at the players most involved in attacks (full backs, midfield and up front) 5 of the 8 that started last night were new. So there shouldn't have been any residual lack of confidence or intent that the previous manager may have caused. I just think that's how we set up last night. Letting them come out of defence to create space in behind is absolutely fine. But we didn't then then press when in our half to try and win the ball back and counter quickly.

I don't buy that the coach is so influential that the players ignore the manager just to do what he says. If that's what you're suggesting.

Saying all that, I think we'll get enough points against teams in and around us to stay up.

I do think the coach is responsible he spends most of the time with players on drills, he was all that was wrong with the previous regime teams and I'm amazed SR alone was left to carry the can. Why didn't he go too?

Edited by BP1960

Think the win at Chesterfield determined our approach at MK.

Great win and 3 priceless points, with them in the bag i think Shez thought 4 point return from those 2 games would have been job done.

It didn't work out but i am sure that we will be going for it at home as best we can with the players at our disposal.

Every club in the land wants a striker that scores goals but unfortunately this season we have been last in line for that.

Got no issue whatsoever with setting up defensively last night to get a point and maybe nick the win if we could. It would've been more than I expected us to get. My issue would be if we set up like that at home and went on and lost. As happened a lot under Robbo.

Shez has said already that he intends to play one way at home and another away from home. He's the old school "win at home, draw away"...and if you can nick a win or two on the road (ala Chesterfield) then happy days. Won't have been nice for anyone to watch last night however, but for the final few seconds, many would've been walking out saying "job done" and onto Saturday we go.

Can any of our stattos supply a list of this seasons league goal scorers in relation to minutes on the pitch?

Clarke - 3 goals - 900 mins pg

Erwin - 2 - 722 mins pg

Law - 2 - 692 mins pg

Ladapo - 2 - 514 mins pg (although his Shrews record is 3 goals at 139 mins, the :censored:er)

The rest have one goal each, and range from the clinical Winchester (388 mins), to the "how can a professional footballer be so ineffecitve in the final third" Flynn (over 2200 mins).

Tip of the hat to Billy "one of the best finishers I've ever work with" Mckay, who didn't manage a single league goal in his 1694 minutes on the pitch.

Edited by josh_latics

Exactly. It was obvious from early in the game that we were set up for a point. In a way Sheridan was at fault because of his defensive mindset which saw many on the pitch unwilling to take a chance. Disappointed with the approach, gutted with the way we lost it at the death.

Sheridan quoted in therarelywrong as saying:

"I know we have a workmanlike side and we are hard to break down. But I want us to be adventurous and more positive attacking-wise and believe that we can cause teams problems. It is something I have to try to get into the team."

So maybe I was a tad harsh on JS in my earlier post.

Clarke - 3 goals - 900 mins pg

Erwin - 2 - 722 mins pg

Law - 2 - 692 mins pg

Ladapo - 2 - 514 mins pg (although his Shrews record is 3 goals at 139 mins, the :censored:er)

The rest have one goal each, and range from the clinical Winchester (388 mins), to the "how can a professional footballer be so ineffecitve in the final third" Flynn (over 2200 mins).

Tip of the hat to Billy "one of the best finishers I've ever work with" Mckay, who didn't manage a single league goal in his 1694 minutes on the pitch.

It's forlorn reading for the rest of the season.

By the way, what has Ngoo done wrong to not get a look in? at 6ft 6ins you'd think there was a few goals in him if persisted with.

Ngoo's goal ratio at Hearts was 1.411.

Edited by BP1960