Charlton

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree 1000000%. Erwin did really well tonight in a really tough job up there on his own. He started slowly, but held it up well, only disappointment was a couple of times where he could have got his head up and played someone in, but overall I thought he was back to how he looked in August.

Admire your positivity but I can only re call once or twice he held it up.

Erwin did OK as a target man - and thought he matched AH recent performances....but but but, twice he missed the opportunity to lay across an early ball into the box to create a great goal scoring opportunity.

I think he did OK, obviously not his natural role and was a bit isolated at times but he set us on some decent breaks. I also don't think he was helped by O'Neill when they were in posession, he was doing a lot of unnecessary chasing with O'Neill seeming to lack a bit of maturity positionally.

On to his wasted opportunities, the first one I think he just didn't get his head up. The second one I felt was returning the favour for McLaughlin doing exactly the same in the first half, poor from them both.

As for the team, great battling performance. I thought we were poor at times out of posession in the first half, closing players down unnecessarilly which left gaps through the midfield and standing off too much when we'd done well to condense the play. I think Shez saw that and second half we were superb, allowing the Charlton centre backs to have the ball and play it wide then forcing errors with our pressing and tight marking, made life very frustrating for their midfield and wingers who were much less effective until that bulldozer Watt and the nippy no.11 came on.

I was impressed with both the Charlton wingers, Brian Wilson the pick of our defence imo. Had a difficult battle on today but dealt with it really well and was very vocal in talking McLaughlin through the game when we were under pressure. Good to have these leaders in the team.

Dreadful really? Out of all Oldham players on show tonight you call him dreadful? He definitely wasn't the worst tonight.

Dreadful yeah, didnt win enough headers, looked far from sharp, poor decisions, lost the ball too often, couple of stupid fouls. Need i say more?

Worked relatively hard but in football terms, dreadful.. Ill stand by it

Dreadful yeah, didnt win enough headers, looked far from sharp, poor decisions, lost the ball too often, couple of stupid fouls. Need i say more?

Worked relatively hard but in football terms, dreadful.. Ill stand by it

Didn't win headers. So what? Did you see the size of the guy marking him? Made some good decisions. Kept hold of it well at times considering he was so isolated. Ye he made mistakes as well he's been out for a bit and he's a league 1 footballer. And let's not forget he's only 22 with only just over a full seasons worth of games in his pro career.

Didn't win headers. So what? Did you see the size of the guy marking him? Made some good decisions. Kept hold of it well at times considering he was so isolated. Ye he made mistakes as well he's been out for a bit and he's a league 1 footballer. And let's not forget he's only 22 with only just over a full seasons worth of games in his pro career.

I saw the defender win plenty pretty much uncontested. Bigger or not you put yourself in there.. Not jump under the ball. Clarke and gerrard won almost every header but jeez they had to work hard for that.

If your a lone striker you need to occupy the defenders. He didnt, he was crap.... Regardless of age and experience or whether the position suits him, on a 1-10 scale today hes a 4/5

Edited by Fruitygoo

Erwin was poor, Taylor disappointing.

The rest all did their job and more. Erwin is the best we've got who can do a job up top for 70/80 minutes and if we stay up it won't be because of his goals.

Taylor hasn't done much in the 3 games I've seen him in. Will get better with game time.

By the terms of some of the analysis on here Taylor so far has got to be in the "dreadful" and "shocking" camp. Probably "stealing a wage" as well from I've read on Twitter....

Has my erwin was dreadful quote upset you flower? Perhaps need to understand everybody has their own view? I used to play up front so i always watch strikers closely. Erwin didn't (note didn't and not doesn't) do enough for me.

Taylor was missing large parts and was average certainly not dreadful...

We got 3 points... But on another day deapite all the effort, that would have been a 3 or 4 goal thrashing. Charlton battered us for 75 minutes. 15 minutes around the time ngoo came on (funnily enough and erwin went off!) we looked like we could get forward.

All im saying is don't get too carried away. Was it really *that* different to a robinson performance? Physically maybe, technically probably not...

Edited by Fruitygoo

Where does it say i didnt enjoy? Loved how we scrapped and fought... Doesnt mean all the players were brilliant does it.

Who's arsed if every player doesn't produce a 10/10 performance every game? Another cracking win and all some want to do is focus on what didn't happen.

Who's arsed if every player doesn't produce a 10/10 performance every game? Another cracking win and all some want to do is focus on what didn't happen.

Happy clapping nonsense... I do not expect 10/10 for every player. I expect them to try and do the job they were put out to do after all effort alone won't keep us up.

Nobody said it wasnt enjoyable but theres no such thing as a perfect performance and people should look at ways to improve. Think sheridan will take the win and not focus on some of the negatives? He was furious 75% of the game with ball retention, poor decisions and positioning.

We're all entitled to an opinion... Just because we think some players cant hold their head up as high as others makes us no less of a fan.

I often think happy clappers just don't understand the game...

Did anyone notice what seemed to be (from the RRE), suited men in the old box between the George hill and chaddy. It's not been used all season, potential new investors?

Very much doubt it. Simon was at the game tonight and sat in the North Stand and entertaining the Charlton board.

Another 3 points in the bag, other results went our way as well for a change....Ripley showed his class again, Wilson had another solid game...Taylor, apart from the assist was again largely missing for me (just my opinion)...I still don't get Ngoo, I understand that he brings something "different" but how he can be taken seriously as a professional footballer baffles me - he can't run, pass and should have taken his chance really...again just my opinion

Has my erwin was dreadful quote upset you flower? Perhaps need to understand everybody has their own view? I used to play up front so i always watch strikers closely. Erwin didn't (note didn't and not doesn't) do enough for me.

Taylor was missing large parts and was average certainly not dreadful...

We got 3 points... But on another day deapite all the effort, that would have been a 3 or 4 goal thrashing. Charlton battered us for 75 minutes. 15 minutes around the time ngoo came on (funnily enough and erwin went off!) we looked like we could get forward.

All im saying is don't get too carried away. Was it really *that* different to a robinson performance? Physically maybe, technically probably not...

Tactical masterclass from shez. Conceded that they are a better footballing side and sat deep. For all their possession and corners they didn't really hurt us. Ironically the only time they should of done was in the first 20 seconds when we had a high back line.

The hardest fought win I can remember in a long time.

Some real grafting performances and an excellent strike by Banks for the goal, who I also thought had a good game.

We were out played for long periods by a very decent and pacy passing team, but we really dug in and hung in there, for a massive 3 points.

We really didn't help ourselves as we set up as the away team, with just Erwin up front on his own.

I'm sure it would have worked much better with Holloway, who can hold the ball up.

Erwin was isolated and is a IMO a very poor player, he couldn't hold the ball up in order to get support, it was coming back faster than we could get rid of it.

We definitely looked better with Ngoo up front instead of Erwin, he's not graceful but is big and awkward and a real handful, a much better outlet than Erwin had been.

We should have been behind after 15 seconds as they sprung our offside trap with incredible ease (although he did look offside to me), but he made a mess of it or it could have been so different.

Overall a great battling performance and some excellent shifts put in on the night.

I see Erwin is still getting stick. Embarrassing, he played well tonight. He's a striker at the end of the day, the service was utter :censored:e to him and he held it up well when the ball got within 10 yards of him. Midfield were nowhere to be seen for majority of the game, it was 1 v 2 or 3 at times for him.

Can't blame him for not looking up when he only had a couple of chances to run at people and try to get a shot away. He's a striker ffs. Almost sent the defender for a hot dog first half but, he made a good last ditch recovery.

He also won us free kicks up the pitch to relieve pressure, 2 right on the edge of the box, which banks wasted.

Edited by we hate man,u and city to