Charlton

Great hard working , hard won performance against a pretty good side.

Missed a couple of good chances too - Clarke nearly extended his gap at the top of the goal scoring table and Ginger Prince was very close.

Great goal from banks and he and everyone else did a good jo of chasing lost causes tonight and putting hem under pressure.

Felt more comfortable than the Coventry game at the end.

Ngoo - best performance yet and genuinely had a good impact.

Erwin did OK as a target man - and thought he matched AH recent performances....but but but, twice he missed the opportunity to lay across an early ball into the box to create a great goal scoring opportunity.

I can't see where all the anti Erwin comments come from, the lad worked is balls off and put a real shift in, my man of the match, Ngoo far better player than most think on here, actually he has very good feet and caused them assorts of problems when he came on. Defence seemed comfortable only one of their many corners caused us a problem. I thought the ref was very lenient with the Charlton players, their No. 15 ( Konsa ) a right little mouthy, irritating bastard.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green. Jesus Christ I can't watch him without getting very frustrated at his constant pointing, hiding when we have the ball and marking space when we don't have it, passing backwards and even runnning backward with the ball. Come on Green, prove me wrong.

Doesn't Shez fancy any of our other strikers or what?

One of our best players

Taylor got an assist. Stretched the play a little at times too and was unlucky not to score when he hit one across the keeper at the RRE.

The biggest weakness we showed last night was defending corners. The number of free headers they had was a disgrace. I've no idea who's meant to be picking up who but it isn't man to man marking and it isn't zonal marking. Ripley saved us several times again.

Erwin. I'm amazed at the number of people defending him and even bigging him up. Granted he was isolated up front but there were occasions where I felt he was taking up positions to avoid getting the ball which made Taylor and McLaughlin struggle. There were two occasions where a first time cross would have led to a goal at the RRE. One he ended up taking several touches and running out for a goal kick. Another he went alone and hit a crap shot.

I thought he looked miles better at the start of the season. His performance last night didn't cut it for me.

I thought that whilst it was a battling performance last night, I didn't think we were outclassed or hanging on as much as we were against Coventry.

We scored a great goal, we hit the woodwork once (maybe twice), we had some good breaks where a slightly earlier ball in might have got us another goal or two (an underlying problem we have at he moment to be honest and not just a dig at Erwin from last night), and a couple of chances flashed past the post from tight angles.

Yes Charlton had chances too, but I felt we were good value for the result.

All round a good team performance and wouldn't lambast anyone. Some of the players I have not been impressed by this season so far (Erwin, Ngoo, Banks, Green) judged "fresh" on last nights games all did well IMO, others remained solid.

I don't think anyone had a standout game, but no one had a stinker either.

A solid home performance - not outstanding but a few more like that and we will claim our rightful place this season with just over 50 points and 17th place.

I'm gonna be controversial here.... he had a fantastic game in terms of shot stopping, and he's the best keeper we've had for many a year, but Ripley needs to have a look at his kicking. He was sending it way too long at times and we were straight back under pressure from it.

I agree his kicking is poor, but the rest of his game still makes him one of the best we've had here in a long time.

Erwin was dreadful...but it can be partly blamed in the distance between him and any other player in a blue shirt

agree Erwin was bad, can't hold the ball up , his touch was also not the best, when you can't hold the ball up it just going to keep coming back at you putting our defence under pressure. Ngoo did better once he came on.

I'm gonna be controversial here.... he had a fantastic game in terms of shot stopping, and he's the best keeper we've had for many a year, but Ripley needs to have a look at his kicking. He was sending it way too long at times and we were straight back under pressure from it.

An accurate comment.

But his kicking is still streets ahead of Cornell or Coleman.

Although I don't really rate Erwin I think he had one of his best games last night (I know not that hard after some abject performances) . He won more headers than the rest of his previous games put together ...yes he was guilty of not crossing to Mclaughlin ...but the same could be said of Mclaughlin in the first half.Hold up play was pretty poor though (as usual). As for Ngoo clumsy and cumbersome he may look but some decent touches and as others have stated held the ball up and on occasion showed some deft skills ...shame his shot didn't rifle into the top corner instead of row Z. Defence superb again and Ripley is the man to beat. I didn't think banks did much other than score a good goal ...seemed only to break up play once when he showed the desire to actually win a ball ..free kicks pretty poor. O'Neil all over the pitch and chased everything and considering how much of the ball Charlton had that's some mean feat. Taylor pretty quiet got the assist and showed us his easiness to go down (2nd half specifically) although he did get kicked up into the air from behind (as I saw it) no foul ?? Overall under the cosh for large parts of the game but a battling performance got us the three points. Six wins from fourteen will surely see us safe , lets hope we don't balls it all up against Swindon

Oh sorry Fruity, I didn't realise that the fact you played up front for the Dog and Duck against some asthmatic centre half with one leg makes you an expert on centre forwards but I bow to your superior knowledge. I just don't like players being described as "dreadful"

I played at quite a highish level thank you...

What your missing is that its the performance being described as dreadful and not the player. Do i think he has talent? Some yes... Does he make the most of what he has? No...

Yesterday, i just don't think he did the job he was put out to do. Im not questioning his effort... Just the result of it. As i said he was left alone and isnt a target man so that obv contributed.

Thing with erwin is i dont know what he is. Hes not a hold up man, a fox in the box (rarely goes in the box) nor does he run the line to get in behind... This is why he wont play at that high a level up front.

Taylor got an assist. Stretched the play a little at times too and was unlucky not to score when he hit one across the keeper at the RRE.

The biggest weakness we showed last night was defending corners. The number of free headers they had was a disgrace. I've no idea who's meant to be picking up who but it isn't man to man marking and it isn't zonal marking. Ripley saved us several times again.

Erwin. I'm amazed at the number of people defending him and even bigging him up. Granted he was isolated up front but there were occasions where I felt he was taking up positions to avoid getting the ball which made Taylor and McLaughlin struggle. There were two occasions where a first time cross would have led to a goal at the RRE. One he ended up taking several touches and running out for a goal kick. Another he went alone and hit a crap shot.

I thought he looked miles better at the start of the season. His performance last night didn't cut it for me.

Said the same re the corners. Taylor picked up Novak for one corner and they nearly scored.

I played at quite a highish level thank you...

What your missing is that its the performance being described as dreadful and not the player. Do i think he has talent? Some yes... Does he make the most of what he has? No...

Yesterday, i just don't think he did the job he was put out to do. Im not questioning his effort... Just the result of it. As i said he was left alone and isnt a target man so that obv contributed.

Thing with erwin is i dont know what he is. Hes not a hold up man, a fox in the box (rarely goes in the box) nor does he run the line to get in behind... This is why he wont play at that high a level up front.

Awareness is what Erwin lacks most, you often see him slightly beaten to the ball, he needs to be much sharper off the mark and take lessons from Holloway on that aspect of his game.

If he can add that he will become a far better player.

I assume the coaching staff are working with him to achieve this.

Edited by BP1960

Erwin held nothing up all night. He tries to do things he doesn't have the ability to do Like beat a man. Second half that showed when the ball just kept coming back. It was only when ngoo came on the ball stuck further upfield which helped us create a few more chances. The fact on a few corners they left Erwin 1 on 1 with their defender says everything about the 'threat' charlton thought he posed. Great team performance though dug in and got what we needed. Onto Swindon.

Charlton are a team with pace. Missed their chance but Taylor (yes Taylor) made ours and Banks hits a superb shot (no time to think) 1 0. We carried on but eventually and correctly sat back to nullify their pace which the result proves was the right thing to do.

My only gripe for the night was how poor I felt Erwin was up front all on his lonesome. He seemed to be lost and somewhat unhappy - possibly understandable given the continuous arm and shirt holding which was only rewarded with one free kick. However he has to rise above this and put himself about as he is here for the rest of the season. He lacks both pace and the ability to run through defences and should have crossed the ball twice for easy one on ones - I don't think he choose not to he just wears blinkers and is all for himself.

Now compare and contrast with Ngoo who wants to be here, out fought the defence, held up the ball, passed the ball and unfortunately blazed over the bar when he should have scored. A fit Ngoo on that performance would start. Ngoooooooooo!

Cracking goal from Banks.

Charlton possibly the best technical side I've seen this season, ones to watch next year.

Disappointing attendance, what a dumb decision to put ticket prices back up.

Onto Swindon, where we always win regardless of form.

If Shez keeps this up he'll be linking himself to them bigger jobs again come the summer...

Cracking goal from Banks.

Charlton possibly the best technical side I've seen this season, ones to watch next year.

Disappointing attendance, what a dumb decision to put ticket prices back up.

Onto Swindon, where we always win regardless of form.

If Shez keeps this up he'll be linking himself to them bigger jobs again come the summer...

If he sticks around we're gonna have one of the better seasons we've had in this division. I'm absolutely convinced. His eye for a player and synergy with this club over the course of a full season will do damage at this level.