Missed opportunity

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39697804

Sadly a few on here were probably talking rubbish.  It was obvious it was a false conviction, hence why I said so at the time.

Now a team that will be a league ABOVE US next year, have bought a player for £500k (the whole thing will have reduced his value).

That could've been £500k net profit (Suppsedlly his wages would be paid by his birds Dad?) and/or a FREE striker that a promoted club sees value in?

Hope the haters on here feel VERY STUPID?

Edited by Grylls

9 minutes ago, PhilStarbucksSilkySkills said:

I haven't been around here much lately. What was the general reaction of those that were firmly in the anti-Ched camp once he was acquitted?

Dont know to be honest as it was locked on a rather cowardly basis.

2 hours ago, PhilStarbucksSilkySkills said:

I haven't been around here much lately. What was the general reaction of those that were firmly in the anti-Ched camp once he was acquitted?

Pretty much that he'd have become a "normal" option to sign.  Probably out of our reach financially.

3 hours ago, Grylls said:

Sadly a few on here were probably talking rubbish.  It was obvious it was a false conviction, hence why I said so at the time.

Now a team that will be a league ABOVE US next year, have bought a player for £500k (the whole thing will have reduced his value).

That could've been £500k net profit (Suppsedlly his wages would be paid by his birds Dad?) and/or a FREE striker that a promoted club sees value in?

False conviction or not, it was a conviction at the time.  The whole attempt to sign him was divisive and precipitated a lasting decline.

Playing a season for a club bottom of League One will also have reduced his value.

It's not £500k net profit.  His wages have been around three times the average OAFC wage.  He's contributed to Chesterfield's relegation (that's a big cash loss).  The "Dad paying his wages" thing was a myth.

Why would anyone feel stupid about the matter?  He's shown he's a lesser player at League One level than Lee Erwin.  You might get some excitement with your "I told you so" message but given his inability to score against a ten man Latics side missing a red carded Gerrard is not exactly compelling evidence of his value.  Three goals since October is it?

I don't feel stupid at all. 

He hasn't actually signed yet, more than a whiff of spin, and testing the water. He might do so:

His wages need to be taken into account. 

As O4U, you have to factor in a the cost of relegation. 

Entirely  possible we'd not have been able to sign Conor Ripley and almost certainly not afford Shez back. 

It was always more than just money. 

As Crusoe said he was toxic and convicted at  the time,

He was extremely lucky his conviction was quashed, it relied on some [unusual legal definitions rather than clear certainty. 

The fee is never in a million years going to be £500k up front. 

Edited by singe

2 hours ago, singe said:

I don't feel stupid at all. 

He hasn't actually signed yet, more than a whiff of spin, and testing the water. He might do so:

His wages need to be taken into account. 

As O4U, you have to factor in a the cost of relegation. 

Entirely  possible we'd not have been able to sign Conor Ripley and almost certainly not afford Shez back. 

It was always more than just money. 

As Crusoe said he was toxic and convicted at  the time,

He was extremely lucky his conviction was quashed, it relied on some [unusual legal definitions rather than clear certainty. 

The fee is never in a million years going to be £500k up front. 

Not a go at you Singe but for the vast majority who didn't want to sign him he was a convicted rapist, it was as clear cut as that. Those of us who cast doubt on his conviction were met with hoots of derision and told a conviction was a conviction. It's a bit rich now he is deemed innocent to call him lucky.

9 hours ago, Grylls said:

But he's shit.....

40 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Not a go at you Singe but for the vast majority who didn't want to sign him he was a convicted rapist, it was as clear cut as that. Those of us who cast doubt on his conviction were met with hoots of derision and told a conviction was a conviction. It's a bit rich now he is deemed innocent to call him lucky.

It is not like he is innocent by some great miscarriage of justice and was not even in the area though, as some seem to be acting as if happened. It was on legal technicalities, and some very controversial probably unique applications of the law. His legal team was free to pursue. He was lucky as other judges would not have applied in the sme way.
I argued aginst him on football grounds mainly and I accept on the face of it £500k is good bit of business but as detailed above it is not quite so clear cut. This is why I personally do not feel stupid, which was the question.

He's innocent in the eye of the law, which is totally accepted. 100%. He is free to puruse his career.

I am just glad we are not involved, and wish we never were, so no adulation or regret from me. I accpet others feel differently, and have not gloated or called anyone stupid for not agreeing with me.

It really wasn't just a case of the conviction. Let's go back to Evans week

- We had half of her majesties press camped out on Furtherwood road for a week.

- We had 3 sponsors pull out.

- We had divisons between the fans

- We had a director receive a death threat.

- We had the trust representative on the board resign his position on the trust (the best thing that came out of it)

- We had a red fleece

All because we were going to sign a player who has this season scored 5 goals in over 25 games. In a team that was comfortably worse than ours and relegated. If we sign a striker this summer with that record who doesn't carry that baggage, I will feel pretty underwhelmed.

Either Sheffield United are just plain stupid to pay that much for a player who has proved not to be good enough for league 1 this season or this is prearranged.

Either way we shouldn't have attempted to sign him it was a week wasted and we move on.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I don't know how it would have turned out he had signed for us, it impossible to know for certain. We may have won promotion, developed a siege mentality and been lauded for giving an innocent man a chance. In reverse it could have seen fights among fans, a massive PR disaster and something we as a club could never recover from.

I think the thing that annoys me is we all suffered a shit week, and ended up with nothing at the end of it. The club's name was dragged through the mud, and we will forever be associated with the whole murky affair. I have no issues with the attempt to sign him, I respect that others do and understand why, I just wish we had either signed him and be done with it or not bother.

What is done is done, though. Can we stop bringing it up? I'm sure many feel similar to myself, and just want to accept it happened and not have to talk about it every time he scores.

10 hours ago, singe said:

It is not like he is innocent by some great miscarriage of justice and was not even in the area though, as some seem to be acting as if happened. It was on legal technicalities, and some very controversial probably unique applications of the law. His legal team was free to pursue. He was lucky as other judges would not have applied in the sme way.
I argued aginst him on football grounds mainly and I accept on the face of it £500k is good bit of business but as detailed above it is not quite so clear cut. This is why I personally do not feel stupid, which was the question.

He's innocent in the eye of the law, which is totally accepted. 100%. He is free to puruse his career.

I am just glad we are not involved, and wish we never were, so no adulation or regret from me. I accpet others feel differently, and have not gloated or called anyone stupid for not agreeing with me.

No you haven't, as I said it wasn't a go at you at all. I was vocal at the time with my very out of vogue socially liberal attitudes that even if he was guilty he had paid his debt to society and was free to resume his career. I know that's not a popular view among the family club fraternity, my view, which I retain, is what could be more friendly to society than employing a rehabilitated criminal and allowing him to contribute positively to society. I don't expect sympathy or support for that view but if you don't hold true to your own principles what sort of society do we have at all? Maybe Thatcher was right and there is no such thing as society, I'm not sure I want to be part of one that sees Trump and Le Pen have electoral success and sees a supposedly mainstream British political party seek to subject children and young women to mandatory checks to ensure they haven't been genitally mutilated. We are, I'm afraid, through the looking glass.

11 hours ago, singe said:

Legal technicalities? Get a grip....it was a jury acquittal after a retrial. Not condoning what he did in any way shape or form but let's not re write history or make statements without foundation like other judges would not....

Our centre-half has scored as many league goals as he has.

4 years out of the game was always going to prove difficult for a very good League one striker, who never quite cut it at the Championship.

Taking outside the moral argument, i was happy we didn't sign him as i didn't think he'd be any good. I think I'm right on that one.

As others have said when he signs for £500k I'll believe it.

13 hours ago, Magister said:

Legal technicalities? Get a grip....it was a jury acquittal after a retrial. Not condoning what he did in any way shape or form but let's not re write history or make statements without foundation like other judges would not....

I'll concede the certainty of "would not", but there is a siginificant possibility other judges would not.

"Get a grip" and "lets not rewrite history" smacks of self aggrandisement. We won't agree, but I am comfortable discussing it, so we can do it in an adult manner or not at all.

37 minutes ago, singe said:

I'll concede the certainty of "would not", but there is a siginificant possibility other judges would not.

"Get a grip" and "lets not rewrite history" smacks of self aggrandisement. We won't agree, but I am comfortable discussing it, so we can do it in an adult manner or not at all.

I would suggest not at all. Or at least not here in what is an Oldham athletic FOOTBALL forum. Started by a troll to wind people up and go over and over and over ground that is well trodden. The guy has no affiliation with our football club. How many players have been linked to us in the past ? Usually it would get a brief mention and then we'd move on. Let's get over it. Please 

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick

40 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I would suggest not at all. Or at least not here in what is an Oldham athletic FOOTBALL forum. Started by a troll to wind people up and go over and over and over ground that is well trodden. The guy has no affiliation with our football club. How many players have been linked to us in the past ? Usually it would get a brief mention and then we'd move on. Let's get over it. Please 

Good point, well made.