Oxford Utd Starting XI

9 hours ago, dec666 said:

As has been said, Gardner hasn’t been signed not to start.

What is behind this assumption? That he was the first signing?

I don't understand why everybody is so certain. Shez has just said he wants another 'attacking minded player', and I find it unlikely that any of McLaughlin, Tope, Davies and Holloway will not be seen as starters. Plus we have Flynn, who has more pedigree, and Banks, who Shez clearly thought highly enough to use regularly last season.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

I don't understand why everybody is so certain. Shez has just said he wants another 'attacking minded player', and I find it unlikely that any of McLaughlin, Tope, Davies and Holloway will not be seen as starters. Plus we have Flynn, who has more pedigree, and Banks, who Shez clearly thought highly enough to use regularly last season.

Flynn spent pretty much all of his time under Shez on the bench even when we were crying out for creativity, so not sure why he'd suddenly be above Gardner and Banks as the main creative player in the centre of the park, which is clearly where they'll play? Surely he would've been given a go there ahead of Banks last year if he sees him as that type of player?

Flynn could well have a big role this year but this will more than likely be on the left if past appearances and even this pre season is anything to go by, plus that's apparently where he wants to play.

The first thing Shez identified us lacking was creativity in midfield and I think he feels he's addressed that at least to some extent by signing Gardner, plus with our well known budgetary constraints, it'd be a bit of a waste to put someone on a 2 year deal and then see them as back up straight away? I'm pretty sure he seems him as an upgrade of what we've already got, and I'm happy to trust him on this one. I think we've all seen enough football to realise certain players flourish under management and style they possibly haven't played in before despite underwhelming elsewhere.

An additional attacking player has been referenced, and if it's someone in the same mould that can add more competition for that play making spot, then great, but for all we know that could be after a pacey flying winger for the left, as he may see Tope as more of a striker despite being able to do a job on the wing. He certainly seemed to have a good predatory knack for his 2 goals last year.

Time will tell I guess.

3 hours ago, NewBlue said:

I thought Banks did well last season after Shez came in, but he didn’t really have much choice but to put his trust in him.

We may see Tope on the wing at times but if he’s not there then him and Davies will be fighting over a position next to Holloway (when fit) I would imagine.

Gardner will be seen as somebody who can get on the ball and keep possession rather than a Baxter type, just going off Shez playing him deeper in the first friendly. Not sure where he played at Salisbury though.

Either way, we have some decent competition for places, finally.

Not many of you seem to think Wilson will start. 

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't having been so good at the back end of last season and having signed a new deal. 

I can see Shez wanting to start with his most experienced defence to get us off to as steady a start as possible and also to talk what looks likely to be a young, inexperienced keeper through his first few matches.....

16 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Not many of you seem to think Wilson will start. 

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't having been so good at the back end of last season and having signed a new deal. 

I can see Shez wanting to start with his most experienced defence to get us off to as steady a start as possible and also to talk what looks likely to be a young, inexperienced keeper through his first few matches.....

I can see a reason for Wilson starting. I had George in mine for a bit more pace but thinking about it he doesn't have much more lol

I'm struggling to think of a player in recent times who has completely turned round fans opinions more than Wilson.

As little as a season and a half ago he was getting comments on here about hoping to never see him play for us again, regularly singled out for abuse at games, and now he's virtually undroppable, and rightly so as he's been absolutely superb. Played all across the defence when needed and rarely let us down. And on the rare occasions he scores, it's a screamer ?

Says a lot about his character.

1 hour ago, Chorlton_Latic said:

As  little as a season and a half ago he was getting comments on here about hoping to never see him play for us again, regularly singled out for abuse at games, and now he's virtually undroppable.

I usually agree with most of what you post but this paragraph is just not true, I can hand on heart say I must of attended over 90% of the games Wilsons played in and not once as he been on the receiving end of any abuse, in my opinion he did  play well at the end of last season but if we have any aspirations for competing higher up the league I reckon we need one of the younger options at right back to improve past him.

34 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I usually agree with most of what you post but this paragraph is just not true, I can hand on heart say I must of attended over 90% of the games Wilsons played in and not once as he been on the receiving end of any abuse, in my opinion he did  play well at the end of last season but if we have any aspirations for competing higher up the league I reckon we need one of the younger options at right back to improve past him.

Fair do's mate, other opinions are most definitely available ?

Can only go by what I hear around me and I can safely say he wasn't particularly popular for a good while. Vaguely remember him also having a few verbals with a fan in the Paddock at end of one game too.

I think his versatility will see him play a very high number of games, but I do think Shez will want to get a Dummigan-McLaughlin partnership going down the right when we're not playing 3 at the back 

Great having so many good options for once!!

2 hours ago, Chorlton_Latic said:

I'm struggling to think of a player in recent times who has completely turned round fans opinions more than Wilson.

As little as a season and a half ago he was getting comments on here about hoping to never see him play for us again, regularly singled out for abuse at games, and now he's virtually undroppable, and rightly so as he's been absolutely superb. Played all across the defence when needed and rarely let us down. And on the rare occasions he scores, it's a screamer ?

Says a lot about his character.

He's a steady Eddie type player. Shez obviously appreciates this and has got the best out of him. Yet his predecessors Kelly and Robbo ignored this and instead preferred inexperienced youngsters.  Indeed Kelly tried to bin him off to Notts County. It's all to do with man management. He's always been a solid 7/10 player under shez and one of the first names on the team sheet.

Edited by johnafoafc