Further transfer business before the deadline....

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I bow to few people in my use of dry humour but you are either having a laugh or having a laugh

Perhaps I need to break it down into small words for you.

Yesterday's attendance was 4876. 

Our average home attendance last season was 4514, but that includes big gates against local sides, we only had 6 home games with larger attendances last season, one of which was free entry. 

There is no way we would have expected the attendance against Oxford to be 4876 when budgeting for the season. This gives us a bit more money than we were expecting. We can therefore spend that extra money towards improving our squad.

Just now, rudemedic said:

Perhaps I need to break it down into small words for you.

Yesterday's attendance was 4876. 

Our average home attendance last season was 4514, but that includes big gates against local sides, we only had 6 home games with larger attendances last season, one of which was free entry. 

There is no way we would have expected the attendance against Oxford to be 4876 when budgeting for the season. This gives us a bit more money than we were expecting. We can therefore spend that extra money towards improving our squad.

You arrogant prat.  If you seriously think budgeting for player contracts which last a season, maybe two or three, is greatly affected by maybe a couple of hundred or so extra away fans.  Well....

15 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

You arrogant prat.  If you seriously think budgeting for player contracts which last a season, maybe two or three, is greatly affected by maybe a couple of hundred or so extra away fans.  Well....

6 month loan? 

Where do I say lasting for a season? Nevermind 2 or 3, you clearly couldn't see the point I was making so I thought I had to overly simplify it for you.

An extra £10,000 (500 extra adults on the gate) over 6 months could easily be an extra player on loan, especially when you factor in that we won't have to necessarily pay all the wages.

Get a loan in for 6 months, get a bit of extra money in with Cup runs and whatnot and that loan might be made longer. 

I wouldn't mind betting we didn't pay Jose Baxter £10,000 in those original 4 months. 

I would think we have some money still in the pot for more players, even without the extra money from yesterday, but yesterday's extra money might be the difference between signing say Jonathan Douglas and signing another Ollie Banks

2 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

6 month loan? 

Where do I say lasting for a season? Nevermind 2 or 3, you clearly couldn't see the point I was making so I thought I had to overly simplify it for you.

An extra £10,000 (500 extra adults on the gate) over 6 months could easily be an extra player on loan, especially when you factor in that we won't have to necessarily pay all the wages.

Get a loan in for 6 months, get a bit of extra money in with Cup runs and whatnot and that loan might be made longer. 

I wouldn't mind betting we didn't pay Jose Baxter £10,000 in those original 4 months. 

I would think we have some money still in the pot for more players, even without the extra money from yesterday, but yesterday's extra money might be the difference between signing say Jonathan Douglas and signing another Ollie Banks

At least half your user name is right.

Just now, deyres42 said:

If anything I'd have thought they would be disappointed with the crowd...

Quite.  First day of the season, a vague sense of optimism etc.  If Oxford hadn't brought a few it would have been below last season's average which wouldn't exactly be fair reward for apparently taking things rather more seriously than last summer.

Whens the deadline for Weds game with regards to new signings?

Not sure if we need another keeper as first choice, unless he doesn't cost anything

Need someone who can unlock the other teams defence, a Baxter type of player

Suspect we may sign one of the 2 trialists on a short term deal until January

Banks can go for me, suspect Gardener will replace him when his suspension ends anyway

22 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Yeah, me too. Despite the keeper situation, there's been an optimism this summer that there hasn't been for 3 or 4 years. I imagine they were expecting at least 5000...

A Baxter signing would probably have broken the 5,000 barrier. 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Yeah, me too. Despite the keeper situation, there's been an optimism this summer that there hasn't been for 3 or 4 years. I imagine they were expecting at least 5000...

Poor advertisement for the game IMO. They kind of just expected people to turn up. They should be drumming up support around the town.
It was looking good for that healthy crowd against Rochdale but I think unless an away side brings 1k+ we're going to be struggling to get over the 4k mark this year. Especially with the football Shez wants us to play

Sense of (mediocre) perspective needed re attendances methinks. Yes, better organisation/pre-season than last year.....but a low bar to clear. No Ripley, no (sigh) promising striker (as yet, though Duffus may shine) and too many of the average players who got us to 17th last season, just avoiding the drop, still here. Sheridan had the high of another Houdini act last season, but now finds himself with a small budget and a long hard season ahead of him. People in Oldham aren't daft, and sadly it will need a lot more stardust than we've seen so far to get them back through the turnstiles. Awful, but it's where we are.