Further transfer business before the deadline....

10 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Sense of (mediocre) perspective needed re attendances methinks. Yes, better organisation/pre-season than last year.....but a low bar to clear. No Ripley, no (sigh) promising striker (as yet, though Duffus may shine) and too many of the average players who got us to 17th last season, just avoiding the drop, still here. Sheridan had the high of another Houdini act last season, but now finds himself with a small budget and a long hard season ahead of him. People in Oldham aren't daft, and sadly it will need a lot more stardust than we've seen so far to get them back through the turnstiles. Awful, but it's where we are.

Other than a couple of exceptions, most of the clubs in this division would be getting similar or lower crowds under the same circumstances. 20 years in leagie one and Wigan, Bolton, Burnley, Huddersfield etc would all be doing well to pull 4,000 home fans.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, astottie said:

I think we are going to get Taylor back. Based on no evidence whatsoever before I'm asked for my source:)

He'll be on 3k+ I would think, so unless Bolton pay him some severance I don't think it's likely. I can think of better ways to spend that sort of money in our predicament i.e. Baxter and/or Welsh.

Just now, oafc1955 said:

He'll be on 3k+ I would think, so unless Bolton pay him some severance I don't think it's likely. I can think of better ways to spend that sort of money in our predicament i.e. Baxter and/or Welsh.

I was talking to a Bolton fan on holiday and he said he seems to have knuckled down and has been very good in pre-season

15 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Taylor was sat in the main stand again on Saturday and wasn't in Bolton's squad for their game yesterday.

Pretty damning considering their transfer embargo and what looks like a team which will struggle. Not sure if he's what we need, really, unless we put him behind the striker or move him in from the wing

10 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Pretty damning considering their transfer embargo and what looks like a team which will struggle. Not sure if he's what we need, really, unless we put him behind the striker or move him in from the wing

He's better than any of the players whose position he'd take. 

3 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

I'm not sure he's better than McLaughlin. Plus is he that much better than Brian Wilson to merit another player on £2k a week?

Of course he's better than McLaughlin. Brian Wilson? 

We'd have been much better with him on the left of that diamond. 

He did wonders for our shape when he came in last season. 

I'd have Taylor in the middle over Banks and Green. Especially if Gardner and Fane are in there as well. 

Can't see him wanting to come back, could not do right for doing wrong at times last season. Best to leave it well alone for all parties. 

Edited by Clifford

Agreed. Taylor (aka I don't ever tackle midfielder) is not the answer, We need to get McLaughlin on the right wing (not left) so that we can actually hit the by-line and give our two strikers something to attack. It was that bad on Saturday that Amadi ended up having to make the crosses as we so stuck in in the long ball and playing up the centre.

Then at least we can judge if our strikers can play.

4 minutes ago, Chaddy14 said:

Agreed. Taylor (aka I don't ever tackle midfielder) is not the answer, We need to get McLaughlin on the right wing (not left) so that we can actually hit the by-line and give our two strikers something to attack. It was that bad on Saturday that Amadi ended up having to make the crosses as we so stuck in in the long ball and playing up the centre.

Then at least we can judge if our strikers can play.

Better than current Ollie ( I dont ever tackle midfielder and cant really stick a good ball in) and Fane (I can only tackle but cant play football midfielder)

So following on his loan spell last season......some on here want to sign Taylor......based on what?

The argument against signing him, as I see it:

- doesn't tackle

- doesn't pass

- doesn't head

- falls a lot & whinges

- doesn't shoot

The argument for signing him. from what I've read:

- he's one of our own and loves the club

- the others are sh*t

For me, he shouldn't be given any consideration.......better off spending time and effort to get Baxter.

19 minutes ago, Hands on said:

Ah well I did think the boss knew what he was doing, wheels within wheels, but after Saturday I have to be persuaded again.  14 nee 17 would not have made the difference Saturday.  

1 game has made you question a man who has consistently had us performing at play off level. Makes perfectly logical sense

15 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

So following on his loan spell last season......some on here want to sign Taylor......based on what?

The argument against signing him, as I see it:

- doesn't tackle

- doesn't pass

- doesn't head

- falls a lot & whinges

- doesn't shoot

The argument for signing him. from what I've read:

- he's one of our own and loves the club

- the others are sh*t

For me, he shouldn't be given any consideration.......better off spending time and effort to get Baxter.

Ah, you prefer the aka I don't ever say no midfielder option.

16 hours ago, samgoafc said:

Trialist who was highly touted at the Girona and Man United friendlies has signed apparently

I'm just going to call him 'Guy' and hope he's good.

Edited by BP1960