SC interview

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

He suggested the embargo was 3 weeks ago. Considering we only recently signed the Belgian kid, that tells me we are no longer under said embargo.

He was a free agent so I guess exempt.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Out of contract players can be signed I imagine.

Unless we pay them £0.  It's not contractual position but us spending greater than our cap.

The Belgian pushed us further above hence why we've had the letter rapping our knuckles 

Edited by Midsblue

3 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Unless we pay them £0.  It's not contractual position but us spending greater than our cap.

The Belgian pushed us further above hence why we've had the letter rapping our knuckles 

So how can we sign Placide then? he would want decent money.

You can sign freebies but the EFL can cease any signing if your salary cap is breached and we're at risk of going bust.  It's the salary as a factor as it's directly linked between income and expenditure to maintain running of the club.

That said, there are ways around anyway.  On book and off book transactions.  Illegal but it definitely happens.  How can some of our fellow clubs at our level operate when clearly the expected weekly salary far exceeds their income levels?!

Just now, sjk2008 said:

We were under an embargo because of our wage bill, so I'd imagine any incomings would be blocked.

Can you prevent someone from taking employment though, in effect leaving them jobless?

2 hours ago, dec666 said:

I’d have to disagree, it’s slightly worrying that the dross we’ve currently got turning out for us has seen us in an embargo for overspending...

Or even more worrying that we're bringing so little money in that this lot's wages are enough to have had us embargoed....

Edited by HarryBosch

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

We sold everything off for a pittance damaging our ability to compete budget wise, makes you wonder how Bury, Fleetwood and Northampton to name but three are managing it though on crowds smaller than ours.

It's not just gate receipts is it? Sponsorship, corporate etc.. too? 

3 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Or even more worrying that we're bringing so little money in that this lot's wages are enough to have had us embargoed....

I'm trying to get my head around that bit...looking at the the stock /players we have compared to bigger squads/club around us and to say we need another 5/6 more players too?

what are we paying these buggers?

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

It's not just gate receipts is it? Sponsorship, corporate etc.. too? 

So Fleetwood are paying out fees and wages we can't compete with off the back of crowds of less than 3000? Are we that far behind on the corporate/sponsorship side? Our ground busting deal with SD was to elevate us to the next level financially wasn't it? 

22 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

So Fleetwood are paying out fees and wages we can't compete with off the back of crowds of less than 3000? Are we that far behind on the corporate/sponsorship side? Our ground busting deal with SD was to elevate us to the next level financially wasn't it? 

Sponsorship is always the loop hole for owners with cash...etihad sponsoring city the example

Edited by Blue_Guru

2 hours ago, Midsblue said:

FFS this is a honest interview reaffirming what most of us know but some on here still dispute that or churn conspiracy theory.

Fact is our gates are low and commercial activity is limited to local interest.  Therefore our income, to which we can generate a % for player purchases, is equally limited.

Corney has increased that % so the EFL is warning us we can't spend above that % cap so either we reduce our spending or increase our income.  We're not an attractive club to boost gates or increase commercial income other than local so outside investment is needed, which SC has continually been chasing.

Also he's backed managers who has signed ineffective players that we currently cannot shift so therefore can't release back funds to add or replace.

The guy wants to sell the club and I believe him that he's making sure whoever buys or invests can take the club forward as opposed to getting the best price.

I'm as frustrated as everyone - Corney more than most - that we haven't succeeded on the pitch.  This interview gives the faintest glimmer that the investment needed is closer than before.  Dubai investment / takeover?

Good post.