Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

10 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

They had cover last season and we saw clean sheets they werent exactly quick then either and while Conor Ripley had a big inpact it wasn't purely down to him. 

How often did they play together last season and what was our record when they did?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, oldhamoafc said:

Gerrard and Clarke was fine on our dogshit pitch last season, played into their hands. Start of season and good pitches, being taken advantage of.

Absolutely right and even with that awful pitch we have failed to win 14 of the 22,they have played together and conceded 30 goals in those games

Last season under Robinson we were set up to defend and not concede, every man behind the ball and we were good at it plus we had Ripley in goal, this season we have sacrificed the defensive style because Shez knows we needed to go for our opponents and score more goals after our abysmal record last season, we have so much creativity now going forward but we have downgraded in goalkeeper and with a 3 at the back we are going to concede more, Shez needs to find the right balance would have to be 4 at he back for me like people have mentioned Clarke and Gez getting pulled out of position so I would try this 4-3-1-2 get Byrne further up the pitch, never seen Placide play but Ruddy at fault today and Wilson is pants 

Placide

Mcglaughin   Gerrard    Clarke    Hunt

Gardener    Bryan    Nepomuneco 

Byrne 

Doyle.       Davies 

10 hours ago, Andy Perimeter West said:

Haha I saw the ball hit his head once in a interview wasn't very happy so no heading for him!!!

Wish we knew more of the plan what's going on think a weekly update of how it's going would be great...

Tbh the fans know as much as the board of OAFC know as per the Trust statement last week.

The Trust will keep you updated as soon as we know more

10 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yet the winning goal came from a midfielder making a run into the box who had time to take a touch and pick his spot? 

It is possible to have a team that can both defend and attack the two concepts are not mutually exclusive.

I said on the Shrewsbury thread at half time we are leaving ourselves far too open we are going to concede if we don't change something we didn't and look.what happened.

All it requires is for the 2 centre Mids to just sit infront of the back 3 and protect them and from there, give it to Byrne Doyle Davies Mclaughlin and either Tope or the 2 new lads whoever is best on the left and they will score enough goals to win us games.

We currently have to score 2 get a point.

4-2-3-1 is the best formation. Unfortunately we need to play both and Davies and Doyle as they are good players so 3-5-2 is the next best option as it still allows us to compete in midfield. 

I thought we won the midfield battle yesterday but it counts for nothing if we concede goals like that.

14 hours ago, mattyg101 said:

Must be joking

I personally want shez to stay but i can see why some don't. 4 points from 24 and conceding 2 or more per game is as bad if not worse than Darren Kellys form. Yes we look a better side and can see a plan but claiming to be unlucky week in week out won't get us many points. 

18 minutes ago, oafc1000 said:

I personally want shez to stay but i can see why some don't. 4 points from 24 and conceding 2 or more per game is as bad if not worse than Darren Kellys form. Yes we look a better side and can see a plan but claiming to be unlucky week in week out won't get us many points. 

At home we concede a goal every 36 minutes and score 1 every 90 minutes.....that is not bad luck nor is it a hallmark of a better side with a plan

11 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Neither goal today was caused by a lack of pace from back 3

11 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Causes often have many facets, they were part of the problem. 

11 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

You've watched plenty of football BP you must surely see that the midfield is not helping our defence whatsoever.

It doesn't matter how quick the centre backs are they can't deal with untracked runners from midfield constantly. It happened time and time again today.

11 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

But the goals were both avoidable and down to individual errors not because a midfielder didnt track his runner, Clarke shit out of a tackle and I think it was Gerrard who was rounded like he was a tree, for the other goal the keepers had a mare (again) and should of gathered it not parried it out to the incoming striker.

Our defence has more to do this season as we're attempting the novel idea of trying to score a few more and I for one am not disappointed that we concede if it's a payoff against watching the dross of the last two seasons when we've set up to draw 0-0 most weeks.

I know we've only gained 4 points from our last 12 but we've deserved more from them games and are very close to it clicking.

10 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

How come Shez and the coaching staff fail to see it?

10 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

They had cover last season and we saw clean sheets they werent exactly quick then either and while Conor Ripley had a big inpact it wasn't purely down to him. 

Shez himself has said several times that he wants us to score more goals and that might mean a style of play that'll cause us to concede a few more too.

He's produced exactly what he set out to to be fair it's just skewed a little bit the wrong way at the moment, which he can work on & remedy. 

I'm confident that these tactics will see us score more, win more, entertain more and finish higher up the table than in recent seasons. 

It's a results business - and Shez's since securing safety last season is pretty awful, and one that might get him sacked at many clubs, and possible ours in the near future.

Yes it's been a bit better in recent games - but the first few were bloody awful so that difficult - and we are still not good enough, particularly at the back.

Like the man, appreciate what he has done for us, but at this stage I wouldn't be shedding tears or protesting if he went.

For the Shez faithful - what if any point would you question his tenure?  In the drop zone after 10 games, 15 games, 20? The whole season?

2 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

For the Shez faithful - what if any point would you question his tenure?  In the drop zone after 10 games, 15 games, 20? The whole season?

At the end of his contract.

9 minutes ago, super_blue said:

I'm not bothered if he goes! 

Yeah let us bring in a new manager who can then bring in even more players costing even more wages. 

12 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

At the end of his contract.

Yeah let us bring in a new manager who can then bring in even more players costing even more wages. 

I said I wasn't bothered not that I thought it was a wise idea...Although the start of our campaign off the back of pre season was nothing short of a disgrace and I expected so much more from him.

Yes we can blame not having the players he wanted etc but to set up players out of position and watch a team play like they have never met was shocking and fundamentally his fault as the manager. 

If a new manager does come in he only has this lot to work with unless we can pull some more out of contact players into the club so I'm not saying now is right for a change but he has a lot to do between now and Christmas to keep his job I reckon! 

1 hour ago, leeslover said:

Gerrard wide in a 3 means either the wing back playing in defence, leaving a huge gap for the opposition to use or him waddling across to try and cover. I don't think he's fit enough for centre back but it's the only position he can play

We have seen Gerrard and Clarke left floundering this season, both so easily turned it must be a concern for the manager. 

Add to this Edmundson's seemingly inability to jump higher than his opponent and a wing back in McLaughin who looks drained of energy at times it's hard to see who can come in to replace them.

9 minutes ago, forever blue said:

Shez has our loyalty.But its a results driven game and he knows that better than anybody.

Exactly the results don't lie he doesn't have my loyalty when he left us in the shitter last time the badge kissing tart jumped ship great he saved us from relegation but it seems that's all he has in his locker with us nothing more nothing less I'd be happy with new staff!!!!

12 minutes ago, forever blue said:

Shez has our loyalty.But its a results driven game and he knows that better than anybody.

It's not about loyalty for me.

I think keeping Shez and letting him do his job in a normal, settled environment would give us the chance of this being a decent season 

Archived