Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

4 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

We have lost already a great deal of what we used to be BUT that doesnt mean that we should simply give up because it suits Corney to sell/get out,

We should bring through local lads from our youth and pick up those released from other clubs and turn them into better players & selling some.

Just like Rochdale do before deyres42 says it.

What is to say we won't produce youth products with more money to develop them? We can't afford other clubs cast offs of a certain level anymore, with investment we may.

Is that our identity? Producing and selling youth, half of which don't teach our first team?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

With investment maybe we can tell them to do one?

One may hope so.  Interesting context of Watford takeover which appeared to be an identity shifter given he owners' connections with Granada and the Italian club that escapes me.  I know a few of their fans who were horrified when it came about but not so bothered now they are a PL club.

Isn't all this "identity" stuff just more modern football bollocks for the young & daft along with "pashun" and "com-yoo-nik-ay-shun"....?

Hardly anybody who doesn't support us would be able to tell you one single facet (that wasn't taking the piss) of what makes up any "identity" we allegedly have as a club.... 

I'm struggling to think of anything.....

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

One may hope so.  Interesting context of Watford takeover which appeared to be an identity sifter given he owners' connections with Granada and the Italian club that escapes me.  I know a few of their fans who were horrified when it came about but not so botherered now they are a PL club.

Udinese... 

Didn't Watford also commit the cardinal sin of 4 managers in one season not long ago and ended up having a really good one as a result? 

1 minute ago, HarryBosch said:

Isn't all this "identity" stuff just more modern football bollocks for the young & daft along with "pashun" and "com-yoo-nik-ay-shun"....?

Hardly anybody who doesn't support us would be able to tell you one single facet (that wasn't taking the piss) of what makes up any "identity" we allegedly have as a club.... 

I'm struggling to think of anything.....

For identity read hope.  Presumably if we became an official feeder club the hope, however unrealistic of reaching the top flight would be gone forever.

Just now, Dave_Og said:

For identity read hope.  Presumably if we became an official feeder club the hope, however unrealistic of reaching the top flight would be gone forever.

If we became an official feeder club (by it's true definition, which seems to have fallen by the wayside somewhere amongst these 67 pages) we'd have more chance of going up than we do currently in my eyes. 

I'd rather not do it that way like, but.....

Just now, HarryBosch said:

If we became an official feeder club (by it's true definition, which seems to have fallen by the wayside somewhere amongst these 67 pages) we'd have more chance of going up than we do currently in my eyes. 

I'd rather not do it that way like, but.....

Doubt it if like the Continental models - Barcelona's B team can't go up to La Liga

Just now, TheBigDog said:

I wonder if it's a possibility that Correa will come in as Director of Football with Sheridan staying on as manager?

I can't imagine Shez would work under those circumstances and I can't imagine Correa would want to be that rather than be a manager like he has been for many years and hundreds of games...

It wouldn't surprise me if that's how it started though once the takeover goes through....

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

Fair point.  Does an actual feeder team exist anywhere?  Officially?

Haha! I've just been searching exactly this. 

Royal Antwerp had a link up with United polishing gems such as Ronnie Wallwork for them :lol:

I think City and Chelsea have strong links with a couple of clubs, possibly Dutch...

In fact, even via this link, which has some long lists they're mainly just link ups...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_feeder_teams_in_football

Can Melbourne City & New York City even be described as feeder clubs? If anything they seem to cop for players City don't want or are too old...

Just now, HarryBosch said:

Royal Antwerp had a link up with United polishing gems such as Ronnie Wallwork for them :lol:

I think City and Chelsea have strong links with a couple of clubs, possibly Dutch...

In fact, even via this link, which has some long lists they're mainly just link ups...

Can Melbourne City & New York City even be described as feeder clubs? If anything they seem to cop for players City don't want or are too old...

Chelsea's link is Vitesse Arnhem bit that is clearly used as a commercial arrangement with Chelsea farming out loanees in the hope that some will become profitably saleable to help them meet FFP numbers

31 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

What is to say we won't produce youth products with more money to develop them? We can't afford other clubs cast offs of a certain level anymore, with investment we may.

Is that our identity? Producing and selling youth, half of which don't teach our first team?

There are plenty of half decent players out there to be picked up-look at Gardner for example & the Rochdale lad sold from Brentford to Villa.

All that is needed is a good scouting network.

I think that you are being negative for the sake of being clever. I never said those players sold hadnt played for our first team.

In fact they would have to play for the first team to fetch really good money. Before we take them back on a free a couple of years later.

1 minute ago, ChaddySmoker said:

There are plenty of half decent players out there to be picked up-look at Gardner for example & the Rochdale lad sold from Brentford to Villa.

All that is needed is a good scouting network.

I think that you are being negative for the sake of being clever. I never said those players sold hadnt played for our first team.

In fact they would have to play for the first team to fetch really good money. Before we take them back on a free a couple of years later.

I wasn't trying to be negative I'm simply asking what are identity is and what exactly we lose with this takeover?

8 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Melbourne City actually fed Aaron Mooy  to Manchester City, he's done ok since.  

Just now, palmer1 said:

I wasn't trying to be negative I'm simply asking what are identity is and what exactly we lose with this takeover?

We end up a laughing stock, full of foreign players, with a manager with no experience, who takes us down.

At least with Corney we've been stable.

Sheridan has to stay.

1 minute ago, oafcshuck said:

We end up a laughing stock, full of foreign players, with a manager with no experience, who takes us down.

At least with Corney we've been stable.

Sheridan has to stay.

You looked at the league table?

2 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

Sorry but I was saying that we have already moved away from where we should be but that doesnt mean we should take steps to go further away. 

Corney said he wouldnt sell unless it was the right deal for OAFC and I dont think that this one is. I think that it is a massive risk and will cause further division.

1 minute ago, ChaddySmoker said:

Sorry but I was saying that we have already moved away from where we should be but that doesnt mean we should take steps to go further away. 

Corney said he wouldnt sell unless it was the right deal for OAFC and I dont think that this one is. I think that it is a massive risk and will cause further division.

But what is the "right deal"?  A local billionaire who has been a lifelong fan?  He's hiding himself well.

Archived