Next Oldham Manager?

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

I should think SC Is very pleased with Wellens and would want him to stay at the club if not as manager as the first team coach.

Wellens says he's ready for management and raring to go. He didn't think he was but the last week had opened his eyes. Looks like he doesn't want to stay as coach if he can get a job elsewhere. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05hppk7

Just now, jorvik_latic said:

Wellens says he's ready for management and raring to go. He didn't think he was but the last week had opened his eyes. Looks like he doesn't want to stay as coach if he can get a job elsewhere. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05hppk7

Having said that a move to first team coach would be a promotion for him and he may want to be part of what could be a very bright future with the club.

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Having said that a move to first team coach would be a promotion for him and he may want to be part of what could be a very bright future with the club.

I think that would be an ideal situation if someone has already been earmarked for the job!

The energy, commitment and passion in his press conferences shine through and it's extremely refreshing to hear if not a little addictive! 

I said it earlier last week that it would be a shame if we passed him by in whatever sense, because as much as there may be an element of beginners luck .. he's certainly hit the ground running - or should that be climbing lol 

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Wellens on 5live at 8.30 ish... 

Said that he wants the job and wants to build for the long term. Would also be happy to work for Clarence. I think this quote that if he doesn't get it then he will leave was a misquote. I heard from his interviews on Saturday that, whatever happens, he has to have a job in football because that's his life. So if we offer him a position in a good management team with a career path and real influence I think he would stay. Says that he's really pleased for the fans, who have been great, because the last 2 performances were brilliant. Wants to start the building work for the club immediately and was very much against long ball, defensive football, changing out 10 players every season and replacing them with 10 others from "random places". 

Edited by AlanGrovesFanClub

2 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

Have a couple of BBC Radio Manchester ones then...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05hpjln 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05hbkbd

Thanks for that. He sounds very calm and relaxed about everything to me. But with only audio and not visual I'm not having it that that's not Ricky Hatton talking !! 

14 hours ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

Said that he wants the job and wants to build for the long term. Would also be happy to work for Clarence. I think this quote that if he doesn't get it then he will leave was a misquote. I heard from his interviews on Saturday that, whatever happens, he has to have a job in football because that's his life. So if we offer him a position in a good management team with a career path and real influence I think he would stay. Says that he's really pleased for the fans, who have been great, because the last 2 performances were brilliant. Wants to start the building work for the club immediately and was very much against long ball, defensive football, changing out 10 players every season and replacing them with 10 others from "random places". 

I like the fact he has said he would work with Seedorf potentially a dream team, (and that would benefit Seedorf too) Wellens is  impressive isn't he. FOM (Future Odham Manager!)

7 minutes ago, bozman said:

Somewhat worryingly Stubbs is now 4/7 favourite with Sky Bet. Seedorf 5/2, Wellens  6/1, Correa 12/1.

I hope Ibby has used his inside information to lump on Dowie at 33/1.

How shit would that be, if they don't appoint the higher profile Seedorf or Correa it makes zero sense to appoint any UK based manager in preference to Wellens, unless an outstanding applicant put themselves forward. 

40 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

How shit would that be, if they don't appoint the higher profile Seedorf or Correa it makes zero sense to appoint any UK based manager in preference to Wellens, unless an outstanding applicant put themselves forward. 

You mean the outstanding applicant with a power point presentation, and a suit ready to wear while standing on the touch line. If I was Corney..I would say if it isnt broke dont fix it, but have a plan B.

45 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I agree completely. I'm currently taking solace from the fact that, in the short time the market has been active, there have been 3 or 4 candidates who've had a spell as the odds on favourite for the job but we are yet to appoint anyone.

16 minutes ago, bozman said:

I agree completely. I'm currently taking solace from the fact that, in the short time the market has been active, there have been 3 or 4 candidates who've had a spell as the odds on favourite for the job but we are yet to appoint anyone.

I take solace vfrom the fact if we have not paid anyone, then we are still going to have Wellens in charge for a bit!

5 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

couple more articles...

https://thesetpieces.com/interviews/interview-oldham-caretaker-richie-wellens/

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/oldham-athletic/story/3219830/clarence-seedorf-wants-premier-league-or-championship-job-sources

Please not Stubbs - if Richie does well tonight then hopefully it kills that line of work. (Edit: meaning, looking at shit failed managers who "know league one") (Further edit: if Abdallah can get Clarence to turn up to BP "as a favour to his friend" then why the heck would we want to go down the shit failed L1 / Championship manager route? hopefully it's all rubbish.)

Edited by AlanGrovesFanClub

Just now, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Stubbs has never managed in L1 so slightly harsh to say he failed at it.

yes I just edited that, I'm having a very slack day, brain not working, but the principle remains the same, he really has got a shit record in the Championship, and only got any success in the Scottish second tier. So not exactly a superb track record.