Next Oldham Manager?

15 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

Wellens for me, if what ESPN is reporting is right.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If us fans want Wellens, we have to email the club and give our reasons.

Corney and Moisley will want RW, but the new owners have Correa lined up.

It’s almost a certainty that it’s going to be Correa. 

But it it’s not definite, yet, as it’s not happened. 

Actual, presentable, and personalised evidence (emails) from fans as well as social media noise and pundits’ comments, may make a difference. 

It may buy an extra game or few, and then if Wellens keeps getting wins...

Edited by IceStationLatic
Name spelt wrong

36 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Scholes now into 12's from 25's with SkyBet,  has Corney had a cheeky 20k on to cover the next couple of months wage bill before announcing him :OASISscarf:

Dident Scholes fall out with Corney and the club after we “used” him to impress the Chinese investors last season ? 

As much as I would love Wellens to get the job, he seems bright, cluedup, knowledgeable of the league and comfortable in the environment Latics finds itself in, if Doyle, Byrne and Bryan weren’t here and he was having to put out a team with Gerrard and Clark together, Banks, Fawns and Osei in the lineup we’d still be rooted to the bottom of the league and would have a completely different opinion of him.

1 hour ago, b0ndl1ne said:

As much as I would love Wellens to get the job, he seems bright, cluedup, knowledgeable of the league and comfortable in the environment Latics finds itself in, if Doyle, Byrne and Bryan weren’t here and he was having to put out a team with Gerrard and Clark together, Banks, Fawns and Osei in the lineup we’d still be rooted to the bottom of the league and would have a completely different opinion of him.

Latics were at the bottom with Doyle, Byrne and Bryan in the team when Sheridan was in charge, so your post is pure speculation. How can you know Latics would still be rooted to the bottom of the league?

2 hours ago, Wardie said:

Latics were at the bottom with Doyle, Byrne and Bryan in the team when Sheridan was in charge, so your post is pure speculation. How can you know Latics would still be rooted to the bottom of the league?

Because I watched every minute of every game before they joined and we were horribly bad. People can’t forget how poor we were against Oxford, Walsall etc. We were poor because we had inferior players

7 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Because I watched every minute of every game before they joined and we were horribly bad. People can’t forget how poor we were against Oxford, Walsall etc. We were poor because we had inferior players

We were poor.  Very poor.  But some of those poor players are now looking very good.

Condifence is a huge aspect of performance in sport, particularly with players of average ability.

Under Sheridan in the 2 escapes, yes he brought in a few loans, but he also got players that looked off the pace and were (at the time) roughly lambasted by fans back to form.  Wilson, Green etc.  They suddenly start wanting the ball, start having the confidence to make one and two touch passes, starting gambling and running into space.

Its the same this season under Wellens.  Players that were not performing under Sheridan are now looking like different people.

Of course other players have come in to the team in these circumstances (Palmer and Main; Holloway and O’Neill; Placide etc).  But many others are now just playing better and with condifence.

For me Wellens has to stay part of the set-up.  That is either give him the job, or keep him as a number 2 under a manager that he will respect and think he can learn from.

8 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

I'm with you on that point but even when Doyle, Byrne and Bryan had joined, Latics were still bottom. Why has the change in manager been so quick to improve the performances?

10 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I'm with you on that point but even when Doyle, Byrne and Bryan had joined, Latics were still bottom. Why has the change in manager been so quick to improve the performances?

Probably has something to do with man management

43 minutes ago, singe said:

Surely the old adage comes into play

One win is chance, two wins is coincidence but a third time is a pattern.

Three games is nothing. We won 7 on the bounce under Talbot. Even Penney managed three wins on the spin.

48 minutes ago, Andy Perimeter West said:

Bryne said in his interview Richie Wellens approached him first and then Sheridan so was that a great find by Richie?

Wellens did say he was looking to local clubs for players, a good thing IMO.