If/when Corney goes.

20 minutes ago, League one forever said:

If recent developments are true, and Abdullah buys Corney out completly, it will end a long association with the club. 

So how will Corney’s time be remembered? 

I'd be staggered if his long association with the club comes to an end, I'm sure he'd want to remain in some capacity.

Personally I'd like him to stay in some capacity because it may not be the popular view but I feel he's done a decent job.

The amount of time he's put in keeping the club 'just about' running on such a shoe string deserves credit. The amount of his own money he has put in without getting owt back from it because the club loses so much money. Yes we may have been in this god forsaken division or too long but at least we've still got a club to support.

Look at the likes of Leyton Orient, Stockport who have plummeted due to bad ownership. The likes of Darlington and Chester that disappeared to have to be reformed by fans in much lower divisions. 

My worry still with Abdallah is that it could turn into a Blackpool/Orient/Blackburn/Portsmouth style situation where it could all go wrong. Personally if SC was still about I can see him being a voice of reason for Abdallah and keeping us from being plunged down a couple of divisions 

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Why on earth would they lock it? 

Don’t involve yourself in the thread if the discussion isn’t for you. 

Everybody's position on this board is already well known, go and have a look at the hundreds of threads devoted to the subject.

8 minutes ago, Oafc1895 said:

Personally I'd like him to stay in some capacity because it may not be the popular view but I feel he's done a decent job.

The amount of time he's put in keeping the club 'just about' running on such a shoe string deserves credit. The amount of his own money he has put in without getting owt back from it because the club loses so much money. Yes we may have been in this god forsaken division or too long but at least we've still got a club to support.

Look at the likes of Leyton Orient, Stockport who have plummeted due to bad ownership. The likes of Darlington and Chester that disappeared to have to be reformed by fans in much lower divisions. 

My worry still with Abdallah is that it could turn into a Blackpool/Orient/Blackburn/Portsmouth style situation where it could all go wrong. Personally if SC was still about I can see him being a voice of reason for Abdallah and keeping us from being plunged down a couple of divisions 

Sorry but I just can't agree with this standpoint and sympathise with those who are somehow satisfied with the clusterfuck way he's run the club, it's already all gone wrong under Corney and his only chance of maintaining any goodwill is to get out before we sink any lower.

It's never been personal, I want what he tells all and sundry he wants - the best for Oldham Athletic. Over the last 6 or 7 years - the best hasn't been Simon Corney he's kept us afloat - JUST! But surely now we deserve a time of looking forward. I'm still highly suspicious of who this takeover benefits. Just what is AL getting for his money? I believe the club can only TRULY move forward if the sale includes the ground. The land I couldn't give a toss about the club for 100 years sat on its land and if Stott had any modicum of ambition then that same land could have made us a real player in the 90s when we had the money to move the club forward, when SportsPark 2000 died a death they should have immediately looked at getting BP redeveloped, land prices were high it could and should have been done. Instead they chose to look after themselves and royally screwed up our day in the sun and potentially a legacy for generations to come. But that's another story.

Back to Simon Corney and i'm sure he'll stay involved in some capacity I won't remember his time as chairman with particular fondness and I hope we can do our business out of the limelight. I hope the appointment of Wellens and AL's possible takeover bring everyone together and we move forward in harmony instead of the fractured fanbase we have become.

27 minutes ago, opinions4u said:

His gold brick is more than enough.

Excellently put. 

I think his PR has been has truly awful at times. The decision making and way the club has been run, (or left to others to run) has been so bad it’s comical. 

On the other hand, IMO Corney always tried to back managers. We constantly run squads of 25 plus- even when we were really in the shit. IF (and this is key) the takeover is on a sound footing, and we can move forward then tbf to him he’s done what he set out to do. Keep us going until a good buyer has been found. 

In the end, we could of done worse and he could of run things better. 

I’ll call it a draw. 

I wonder if he had his time again would him and his mates have bought us at all 2003? My guess is no.

Had the Oldham Arena and initial 5 year plan come to fruition then I think he would have been more fondly remembered perhaps Blitz and Gazal would have been more directly involved for longer.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

I wonder if he had his time again would him and his mates have bought us in 2003 at all my guess is no.

I don't think that requires a guess.  It was a property play which is just as well as without that angle I'm very doubtful the club wpuld have survived in recognisable form post Moore.  I am certain that there was a genuine interest in football as well as there were many, many easier ways to make money out of property pre-crash.

5 minutes ago, blueatheart said:

We can get that removed for a small fee I'm sure.

Edit: i can't remember who has gold bricks but it could be replaced with a real club legend.

whether you like him or loathe him Simon Corney is an Oldham legend.

He has make mistakes sometimes massive but he is still here when many would have fucked off including his business partners!

not all legends are great!

3 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

Legend? Fuck No! Famous and remembered for the notoriety of his tenure? Fuck Yeah!

YEP - Legend! :) 

LEGEND:
an extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field:
"the man was a living legend" ·

SC  -  Out of his depth when his 2 amigos went  ( short answer)

( long answer) Shifty, sometimes dodgy, but not in a totally for himself way - kept the club afloat by just treading water these past 7 or more so years. He was unable to fund the progress he genuinely desired and could not oversee the day to day running of the club in the way it should have been due to the time spent in America. Surrounded himself with incompetents and never really connected with the fan base, and frankly these last two years you could argue he has been antagonistic. Many of the sycophants on the board have truly let him down over the years as did the council

Will he be remembered fondly? - No,

Does he deserve a place in hell next to Ian Stott? -  No.

Edited by Stagger Lee
better Englush eh mate

7 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

He has make mistakes sometimes massive but he is still here when many would have fucked off including his business partners!

Legend :lol::lol::lol:

9 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

Legend?

Sorry I can't have that.