Gillingham away

IMO the Gillingham game showed how important Dan Gardner is for us. When Byrne and Gardner were on the pitch we had two players in midfield who wanted the ball and who could be creative with it.

Once Gardner was subbed on Saturday we was left with only Byrne who actually wanted the ball in the middle.

Green is nowhere near as creative as Gardner or Byrne and to be honest I thought he looked slow on Saturday in comparison and gave the ball away too often in the relatively short time he was on the pitch. 

Fane breaks up play well, and is good at what he does but I think he’s the most awkward looking player with the ball at his feet that I’ve ever seen! He is getting better though, and definitely worth his place in the team.

Jack Byrne catches the eye - and rightly so most of the time - but don’t underestimate Dan Gardner’s contributions. He’s got pace, excellent control and distribution, and he can put a tackle in.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched on ifollow and Byrne was not the problem. Poor finishing and good Gillingham goalkeeping meant we scored zero. 

I don’t see the issue some people seem to have with Byrne, he’s been slightly greedy, angry, and trying to do a little too much since his first game. I think he’s been one of our most consistent players. On top of that you get his quality on the ball. He set up two or three good chances against Gillingham and if we’d scored everyone would be singing his praises. 

The only reason we didnt beat Gillingham is because we didnt stick one of 7/8 glorious chances in the net. Byrne ran the midfield alongside Gardner. I would have sacrificed Fane instead of Gardner at teh end, and pushed us higher up to really secure the goal we needed, but hey ho a point isnt the end of the world

10 hours ago, Oh Heck C-Beck said:

I don’t see the issue some people seem to have with Byrne, he’s been slightly greedy, angry, and trying to do a little too much since his first game.  

Yes. Give me that over the Furman types we've had who's only priority seemed to be not doing anything wrong.....

Even when he's poor (by his standards) he still creates plenty and sticks a foot in regularly. 

Edited by HarryBosch

22 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Yes. Give me that over the Furman types we've had who's only priority seemed to be not doing anything wrong.....

Even when he's poor (by his standards) he still creates plenty and sticks a foot in regularly. 

He's our best player, by some distance too, I would sign him over Doyle if given the choice

Few are just commenting that in the last several games he's been throwing shapes when not being given the ball + trying the difficult ball a bit too much, Still our best player

7 hours ago, aaronoafc said:

He's our best player, by some distance too, I would sign him over Doyle if given the choice

Few are just commenting that in the last several games he's been throwing shapes when not being given the ball + trying the difficult ball a bit too much, Still our best player

Sounds dangerous play to me, what kind of shapes has he been throwing?

I went along Saturday and enjoyed the 2nd half a lot and it could have gone either way. I thought Eves was a nuisance and threat for most of the game. Agree with most of the comments on Byrne, yes our most creative player but should share his work more. My main observation was Aaron Holloway and what a difference he made again after coming on and I feel he makes a more telling contribution  than Davies- he regularly wins the aerial duels and remains on his feet most of the time and brings others into play.

I also thought Fane made a real contribution and is continuing to improve.

Overall I thought we all played well and worked well as a team.

11 hours ago, tringerlatic42 said:

I went along Saturday and enjoyed the 2nd half a lot and it could have gone either way. I thought Eves was a nuisance and threat for most of the game. Agree with most of the comments on Byrne, yes our most creative player but should share his work more. My main observation was Aaron Holloway and what a difference he made again after coming on and I feel he makes a more telling contribution  than Davies- he regularly wins the aerial duels and remains on his feet most of the time and brings others into play.

I also thought Fane made a real contribution and is continuing to improve.

Overall I thought we all played well and worked well as a team.

Holloway must be wondering what he has to do to get a start. Davis has gone off the boil compared to his form after Wellens was put in charge. I'd like to see him given a chance to see what he can do over the 90 but he's very effective coming on in the last 20/30 mins when teams are tiring

24 minutes ago, cmr said:

Holloway must be wondering what he has to do to get a start. Davis has gone off the boil compared to his form after Wellens was put in charge. I'd like to see him given a chance to see what he can do over the 90 but he's very effective coming on in the last 20/30 mins when teams are tiring

True but Davies could be just as effective used as a late sub, I put the idea out there before the last game that Holloway must be close to a start and I think that's still the case, Davies may benefit from a game or twos rest but I suspect he wouldn't agree.

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

True but Davies could be just as effective used as a late sub, I put the idea out there before the last game that Holloway must be close to a start and I think that's still the case, Davies may benefit from a game or twos rest but I suspect he wouldn't agree.

I thought we'd get to see what he could do over 90 vs Carlise but it was Byrne who was refused permission to play rather than Doyle

I'd love to see Davis put in performances like he did vs Blackburn week in week out. Absolutely bullied their defence, brought down every ball like he wasn't being challenged and distributed it well. He seems to be drifting out wide too much now