Gillingham away

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, dec666 said:

Their home record is decent this season, would have been a handy point I'd we'd have put one of those chances away on Tuesday. 

Not the worst result though.

Puzzled? They've won 1 (lowest in the League) and have the joint worse points total. Lost joint 3rd worse. tough to break down would be fair.

The two games are teams below us putting 10 behind he ball, and that probably is where we struggle. A tweak in tacts might help.

Here are are shots , on target and goals recently, I  might try and add to

Edited by singe

7 minutes ago, singe said:

Puzzled? They've won 1 (lowest in the League) and have the joint worse points total. Lost joint 3rd worse. tough to break down would be fair.

The two games are teams below us putting 10 behind he ball, and that probably is where we struggle. A tweak in tacts might help.

Here are are shots , on target and goals recently, I  might try and add to

Southend, Wigan and Scunthorpe all only managed a point there, Charlton lost.

20 minutes ago, dec666 said:

Southend, Wigan and Scunthorpe all only managed a point there, Charlton lost.

Fair point, though they have lost to Northampton, Pompey, Bradford & Shrews. Acknowledging, a bt like us they've played all but one of the top 7 at home so a tough start.

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Fresh ideas required.  New shape?  I feel Byrne needs a 'rest'.  I'd like to try an accommodate Menig from the start somehow.

Could be a shout this. Menig's recent start against MK is one of the better single oafc player performances I've seen all season. First half my god he tore them to bits. 

Big fan of nepo though so not sure he'd be the one I would drop...

2 hours ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Thats fair enough - teams do seem to have sussed us, Gillingham had 11 behind the ball when ever we had it and Byrne seems to have come down with a case of Billy Big Bollocks itis - he doesn’t half sulk if someone passes to anyone but him but I think we’ll be fine. Agree the assistant is needed - as long as they’re decent. Imagine if he unveiled Dave Penney?? ?

Noticed this too. Byrne is an excellent player, one of the best in the division. However last few games, he's being a right mard arse if he doesn't get the ball, having a go at team mates more, and for the love of christ he needs to give the Centre halves some space when they have the ball...Gets right under their feet for a pass.

Too many long balls from him today

Class player tbf but few negatives crept in recently

7 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Noticed this too. Byrne is an excellent player, one of the best in the division. However last few games, he's being a right mard arse if he doesn't get the ball, having a go at team mates more, and for the love of christ he needs to give the Centre halves some space when they have the ball...Gets right under their feet for a pass.

Too many long balls from him today

Class player tbf but few negatives crept in recently

Been a mard arse for more than the last few games, it's becoming a problem because 80% of our play goes through him so we have to hope his heads on the game to get the best out of him, if he gets aggravated or loses focus it normally has a negative effect on the whole team and generally he ends up throwing all the toys out of the pram, can't comment on today as I didn't go but it's the one thing in his game that pisses me off and the opposition thrive off him beating himself up, shame because at times the lads unplayable and to be fair technically could play at any level.

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Been a mard arse for more than the last few games, it's becoming a problem because 80% of our play goes through him so we have to hope his heads on the game to get the best out of him, if he gets aggravated or loses focus it normally has a negative effect on the whole team and generally he ends up throwing all the toys out of the pram, can't comment on today as I didn't go but it's the one thing in his game that pisses me off and the opposition thrive off him beating himself up, shame because at times the lads unplayable and to be fair technically could play at any level.

Only really noticed it the last few. Noticed right away he seemed a feisty little bastard in midfield which is good, but proper spitting his dummy out lately.

Have a few city mates who go and watch the Academy side and they were stunned when I told them he was playing for us, they thought he may even get a crack with them. Apparently got rave reviews every game for the development side(s)

5 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

No idea what level of Football most posters on here have played to, but one thing I know for sure is that the best player in a team being a 'mard arse' really, really, really is not a 'problem'.

Just frustrating to see. The guy has all the ability in the world but has been binned off from City and loaned out from Wigan due to his attitude. 

Last few he does seem to be trying too much too, when the first 10 or so games he looked leagues above any other player on the pitch every match

23 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Just frustrating to see. The guy has all the ability in the world but has been binned off from City and loaned out from Wigan due to his attitude. 

Last few he does seem to be trying too much too, when the first 10 or so games he looked leagues above any other player on the pitch every match

He is at least one league above most players on the pitch.

I can't comment for what goes on thru the week but I feel that visible on pitch frustration from one or two of our best players needs to be ignored by us fans whilst we have people like Clarke, Gerrard, Wellens and TP at the club.

29 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

No idea what level of Football most posters on here have played to, but one thing I know for sure is that the best player in a team being a 'mard arse' really, really, really is not a 'problem'.

It was a problem against Dale because Wellens dragged him off and told him as much, it doesn't matter how good you are if you can't focus on the job in hand, like I say I wasn't there today so can't comment but its not difficult to see why he was ostracised at Wigan despite his undoubted ability. 

20 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It was a problem against Dale because Wellens dragged him off and told him as much, it doesn't matter how good you are if you can't focus on the job in hand, like I say I wasn't there today so can't comment but its not difficult to see why he was ostracised at Wigan despite his undoubted ability. 

Wellens took him off v rochdale because he isn't fully match fit and we had two more matches in the following seven days. Not to mention the size of our squad.

I was there today and it really wasn't that bad. 

Yes we were not at our best and I agree our play in the final 3rd was a bit slow and deliberate. 

Byrne was slow to see the passes today and held our play up occasionally. He also gave up a few times and spat his dummy out after play broke down around the Gillingham box which left us exposed on the break. 

However he was still our most creative player by miles and I'd rather him play than be rested. 

Eves was a handful in the second half and looked a good player. Gerrard needed all his experience to keep him in check as he was clearly outpaced a number of times. Agree he was our Mom today. Bryan was also excellent and Fane broke up play numerous times in midfield. 

We looked completely knackered at the end which is part of the problem I think. 

Our best 11 is a good match for anyone, and that's why Richie is reluctant to change things I think. But without Bryan, Byrne and Doyle we will really struggle against decent teams so we need to hope they will stay after Christmas. 

7 days off will do us good, then a tough trip to Southend where we usually do well to get things rolling again. 

Plenty of dross on here from folk who clearly were not at the game. KTF 

55 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

I was there today and it really wasn't that bad. 

Yes we were not at our best and I agree our play in the final 3rd was a bit slow and deliberate. 

Byrne was slow to see the passes today and held our play up occasionally. He also gave up a few times and spat his dummy out after play broke down around the Gillingham box which left us exposed on the break. 

However he was still our most creative player by miles and I'd rather him play than be rested. 

Eves was a handful in the second half and looked a good player. Gerrard needed all his experience to keep him in check as he was clearly outpaced a number of times. Agree he was our Mom today. Bryan was also excellent and Fane broke up play numerous times in midfield. 

We looked completely knackered at the end which is part of the problem I think. 

Our best 11 is a good match for anyone, and that's why Richie is reluctant to change things I think. But without Bryan, Byrne and Doyle we will really struggle against decent teams so we need to hope they will stay after Christmas. 

7 days off will do us good, then a tough trip to Southend where we usually do well to get things rolling again. 

Plenty of dross on here from folk who clearly were not at the game. KTF 

This......although I thought Bryan had a few sketchy moments

Doyle & Davies both had off days but you can’t really criticise them. Nepo got himself in good positions and Byrne constantly tried the early ball to him but it didn’t really come off today. Gerrard was excellent and Fane probably MOM for me and nearly set up the winner after a great run near the end 

The massive difference watching Latics now is when we get the ball there is a real sense of excitement and urgency...we move the ball quicky, we attack with intent and we keep going to the end.......you know what?...we won’t make the playoffs but we will finish in our highest position for years and maybe we’ll get to Wembley in the Checkertrade thingy.....I’d take that!

It may be herrecy but we are playing lower league Man Utd (Fergie vintage) style.....attack, attack, attack...and frankly, I’m 

loving it

.......and Placide is a legend ?

5 hours ago, rigsby said:

Whatever.

Ok its not dreadful if your ambiton is to stay up...if you actually have AMBITION...its a dreaful result.

How the hell u can call me negative with your mindset is inbelievable

Ambition is a personal goal.

If 'your' ambition for the club is success 'you' are falling well short and perversely intimating you are doing more than the rest of us.

The majority of us are living in hope that someone else funds it - like you should be.

Having ambition for someone else to fund and achieve it for you doesn't really cut-the-mustard. Bearing in mind funding doesn't always work.

Of course you are still allowed to whinge about, abuse, or appreciate someone who 'is' making some effort, but don't pretend its you.   

Went today, we seem to have discovered the knack of not conceding whilst losing the knack of scoring. The former has a lot to do with Gerrard who's looked a better partner for Bryan in the last couple of games ( got to fess up, wasn't sorry to see him dropped after Shez went but he's looked solid since his return "Holds hands up and gives him a big pat on the back" ). Strikers are struggling as the creative supply in midfield is struggling, Byrne seems to want to do everything and sometimes seems to try and force things (trying to play a killer 20 yard ball ) instead of being involved in building a move involving 3 or 4 players. When Wellens first took over we were at times playing fantastic one touch football that he was at the centre of pulling the strings, recently it's like he wants to be the whole orchestra. If we keep the lack of not conceding and find the creative balance between midfield and the strikers it can still be a very productive season, long way to go.

OWTB first - Oldham player criticised for doing too much!  The end of the world is nigh!  :lol:

But for the record, I agree. He needs to reduce the amount of set plays he takes and we need to use Gardener ( who had a poor game ) a bit more.

For the record I would like to point out Fane / Gerrard will be my MOM. Fane is really starting to grow on me and his Achilles heel, passing, was actually quite good today 

9 hours ago, inspectormorose said:

Went today, we seem to have discovered the knack of not conceding whilst losing the knack of scoring. The former has a lot to do with Gerrard who's looked a better partner for Bryan in the last couple of games ( got to fess up, wasn't sorry to see him dropped after Shez went but he's looked solid since his return "Holds hands up and gives him a big pat on the back" ). Strikers are struggling as the creative supply in midfield is struggling, Byrne seems to want to do everything and sometimes seems to try and force things (trying to play a killer 20 yard ball ) instead of being involved in building a move involving 3 or 4 players. When Wellens first took over we were at times playing fantastic one touch football that he was at the centre of pulling the strings, recently it's like he wants to be the whole orchestra. If we keep the lack of not conceding and find the creative balance between midfield and the strikers it can still be a very productive season, long way to go.

This post and the thread in general makes some excellent points. For me yesterday was a snapshot of why Byrne, Doyle and, to a lesser extent, Bryan are currently playing for us in league one.

Byrne simply does too much but he is the fulcrum of all that is good about our attacking play. He needs to share the workload a little... Doyle had an off day by his normal high standards. Bryan had his hands full with a physical and mobile Tom Eaves but a second clean sheet speaks for the effort put into the game by all.

229 from Oldham yesterday and most will have left disappointed but not downhearted.