Fleetwood (H)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, welshgaz said:

What did you make of Jack Bryne in central midfield?

I thought he was at the heart of everything we tried to do, as ever.

I understand the idea that he tried to involve himself in too much but he'd have pissed Man of the Match had he not dropped that bollock for their second and some of the things he tried had come off and we'd won as a result...

(As they have in past matches and will do in future matches.)

To drop him is a ludicrous idea even by OWTB standards. 

7 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I thought he was at the heart of everything we tried to do, as ever.

I understand the idea that he tried to involve himself in too much but he'd have pissed Man of the Match had he not dropped that bollock for their second and some of the things he tried had come off and we'd won as a result...

(As they have in past matches and will do in future matches.)

To drop him is a ludicrous idea even by OWTB standards. 

Don't see how its ludicrous as it would give us an actual shape  ( assuming we go with 2 strikers).

I'd go with him as the no.10 off a lone striker to allow him to pull the strings higher up. Especially now Doyle is out.

I agree he was at the heart of everything too. But my question relates to when he went into central midfield. But that where are opinions differ, as you think central midfielders aren't required to tackle!

Edited by welshgaz

Just now, welshgaz said:

Don't see how its ludicrous as it would give us an actual shape  ( assuming we go with 2 strikers).

I'd go with him as the no.10 off a lone striker to allow him to pull the strings higher up. Especially now Doyle is out.

Yeah, I'd like to see that. 

He does retain and carry the ball a hell of a lot when he's deeper though. Surprised you'd be ok with losing that... 

Just now, HarryBosch said:

Yeah, I'd like to see that. 

He does retain and carry the ball a hell of a lot when he's deeper though. Surprised you'd be ok with losing that... 

Of course he can, Gardner should be doing it but he hid completely against Fleetwood. 

Just now, welshgaz said:

Of course he can, Gardner should be doing it but he hid completely against Fleetwood. 

Gardner started the season in front of the back four didn't he? 

Hard to say how much he contributed to our poor defensive form though with Clarke having had so little trust in Dumb & Dumber....

Worth a try though, he can keep & carry the ball well too and, therefore, do what Byrne's been doing but probably be more disciplined. Then Byrne off/behind Davies. 

I took three extras with me [my youngest daughter and two friends] who had not been for a long time and the general consensus from them...the game was enjoyable, went a little pear-shaped after Fleetwood scored their first, flat after their second and the excitement picked-up again when the Latics scored...but despite a disappointment with the result, felt Latics played well on the whole and extremely unlucky with one, possibly two late penalty shouts.

None of us were particularly impressed by Fleetwood and felt the ball was in the air a tad too much, despite Latics trying to keep it on the ground. They also thought Placide had a few panicky moments, Davies was unlucky, Bryan was excellent, Fane was MOM and Gardner off the pace and looked a bit "washed-out"...and Fleetwood's player [Eastham?] should have been sent off for his foul on Holloway.

It's all subjective though and I came away feeling Latics desperately missed Doyle and played a little flat. A long way to go, the uncertainty with the takeover and loan players, especially Doyle's illness, is making me feel that a mid-table finish would be a good result, given the previous seasons. I wish I could be there on Saturday but work is keeping me away.

6 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Gardner covers more ground than anyone else in the team including Fane. The lads been ill and still plays unlike others. Even if he wasn’t ill he’s allowed a slight dip in form, that’s why he’s a League 1 player but a bloody good one.

Lad covers more pitch than Fane? Bet he doesn’t. Doesn’t normally last more than 70 mins either. 

On 27 December 2017 at 1:47 PM, we hate man,u and city to said:

Really? Think some try to have a go at AG at every opportunity. He probably thought byrne would grow a pair and stop the runner or block the cross. But, no he let him stroll towards the box but, yeah, we'll blame gerrard. Can't blame the golden boy, can we? 

I'm certainly not one of the some you refer to, just called it as I saw it.

9 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Would take Gardner over Byrne. Proper player

Cant believe I’m saying this but like Baxter, I think Byrne is a luxury player at this level.

He’s a beautiful footballer to watch on his day but as proven time and time again, you need fighters and grafters to get out of this division. 

Gardner and Fane are exactly the type of CM’s that will do that. It’s now down to Wellens to either get some wingers in or get the new lad firing on all cylinders in a midfield 3.

1 hour ago, Andy-latic said:

I'm certainly not one of the some you refer to, just called it as I saw it.

Did'nt mean you in particular. I don't keep upto date with, or am sad enough to remember who says what on here. Just always like someone seems to have a go at AG after a bad result. He's the best CB on our books atm and as long as Bryan stays. It's not a problem area. I'd look at Hunt as our defensive/offensive weak link in the back four atm.