Sadly VAR is unavoidable in todays game. Theres so much money riding on modern football now something like this was always on the cards.

I could go in to a long rant about how i feel about the state of the game and how it's all a reflection of modern society but i'll save you my ramblings.

VAR will always be contentious when opinion is involved. 

Show 10 experts a penalty decision and 5 will say def pen and the other 5 will say no way.

Even on off sides it not so simple.  I saw one on MOTD last week that didn't have var. 

Ball slipped through for midfield runner but the flag goes up for offside, back 4 & goalie stop but player puts ball in net. Replays show player is onside!!!!

Whats the decision given when var is studied, defenders can rightly say the flag went up or do we ignore linesman in future, if so what's the point having them.

The current goal line technology is as far as you can go without spoiling the game.

Any other decisions need opinions from somebody and that takes time  to formulate. 

Leave it as it is.

VAR if it has to be used should be at the request of the on-field official unless a blatant misdemeanor has occurred ( i.e. handball, foul, offside etc.. in the lead up to a goal or chance of same). What  we are being served up with now, at least last night it was, is a bloke in a warehouse in the home counties overruling the on field officials at almost every opportunity. And the attempts of TV ex-refs to justify the cock-ups are laughable. The disallowed first goal was an example of minimal interference by the attacking player and would have stood in 100% of any match I've attended. Likewise the linesman's failure to flag the holding offence when it first occurred (well outside the box) meant that when reviewed it showed that the offence carried on into the box and a penalty resulted, even though Trippier threw himself to the ground at the end. Then Rochdale's first goal and a Spurs one went to the fifth official when both were totally valid. As someone has stated earlier VAR may take away some discussion about the game but also results in different arguments as to it's validity. 

In my opinion  it's not being used correctly and probably shouldn't be persevered with. What happens if an incident is under query but the game hasn't been stopped and the opposition score at the other end. Will it revert to the initial incident or may the score be 1-1 ?? It serves up more problems than it solves and should be scrapped.    

Edited by Bobledgersheart
spelling error

12 hours ago, beag_teeets said:

As usual I'm contrary and actually like it.

There are teething troubles but these will be ironed out, does show how hard being a ref or lino actually is, they usually get most things right and if the technology is able to assist get more decisions right then I'm all for it. I don't even mind the delay, it needs the TV commentators to stop whinging and going on about the time it takes, sometimes the decision isn't clear cut even after multiple replays and I'd rather get correct decisions then not. Perhaps it would benefit from an 'Umpire's call' thing where even after several views of replays the VAR ref can't 100% guarantee the correct decisions it goes back to the decision the on pitch ref made? Maybe with a time limit? 

Agree with most of this. 

I was at the game last night with some mates who are Dale fans and by far the worst bit was the fans in the stadium not having a clue what was going on. 

For me this fundamentally needs to be addressed and changed as we just stood there in the snow wondering what the ref was looking at and what the potential problem was. 

The only info coming through even after the decision had been made was via text message from mates watching on TV. 

If a goals disallowed the fans in the ground need to know why and immediately.