World Cup Predictor Competition

What do they coach into keepers these days????

When I was a goalie I was taught -

1/ - IF you can't catch it push it away towards the touchline or out for a corner.

2/ - When diving to make a save always go with the hand which ever side the ball is going.

On the goal Pickford got his fingertips to it with his left hand, going with his right would have given him another 4 inches of stretch.

Basic stuff but appears lacking in most goalies at all levels. 

22 minutes ago, losesome said:

1/ - IF you can't catch it push it away towards the touchline or out for a corner.

2/ - When diving to make a save always go with the hand which ever side the ball is going.

On the goal Pickford got his fingertips to it with his left hand, going with his right would have given him another 4 inches of stretch.

He should not be England keeper. Pope is sitting on the bench and is much better. 

11 hours ago, losesome said:

I was taught exactly the same and that's over 50 years ago. There is, however, a natural tendency to with your right hand if right handed and left hand if left handed, and it's sometimes hard to break that habit. Pickford is left handed, so maybe he's having trouble breaking that natural thought process. If you watch Petr Cech, he would sometimes go with his left hand when the right would have been better. Maybe it's something left handers have trouble with. Oh, I'm left handed. That explains a lot, I guess.

19 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

So Shearer would never criticise a Newcastle player, Hansen never did to a Liverpool man? 

Pickford's age is very important here - he's a young English lad who has made a mistake in a nothing game. If he was an experienced pro and the game had more importance, such as an FA cup final for Everton, then I'm sure Southall wouldn't be so supportive 

9 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Pickford's age is very important here - he's a young English lad who has made a mistake in a nothing game. If he was an experienced pro and the game had more importance, such as an FA cup final for Everton, then I'm sure Southall wouldn't be so supportive 

He hasn't made a mistake

26 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I fear you may be over analysing