World Cup Predictor Competition

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

The quality in those games today puts England's chances into a more realistic context. 

I think we can beat both of those sides, especially Uruguay, as I think Cavani may not play again in this World Cup. But as we have to beat 3 other sides to play either of those, it is likely to be a bit moot. 

France v Uruguay could be another very good game I can't see that Uruguayan defense conceding 4, but I think a Cavani-less Uruguay is going to struggle. 

What a team Uruguay are. Population 3.5 million, outstanding achievement. Their work rate is phenomenal. I've never liked Suarez but he was superb tonight, as were Cavani and Godin. Their discipline is also much improved, something Argentina could learn from.

We don’t have to play anyone particularly decent to the semis, if Spain get knocked out we play one possibly France in the final who looked excellent especially embpee. But they did concede 3 and we have a lot more pace and youth than Argentina.

11 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

The quality in those games today puts England's chances into a more realistic context. 

What is evident from the two round of 16 games is that teams and individuals need to raise their performance levels to progress.

- we have seen with both France and Uruguay an increase in quality from the team as a whole and, more significantly, from key individuals such as Mbappe (what a player he will become) and Kante, Suarez, Cavani, Godin etc.

However the lesser known players also need to play their part in a successful team performance as Pavard showed yesterday.

We all know what players like Kane, Sterling, Lingard and Alli are capable of from their premier league form but now they need to grow as the tournament moves into the knockout stages. Stones and Trippier have already shown that they are good enough to compete on the World Cup stage. Ultimately an improvement in quality from team and individual is what will make the difference and that is the level that England need to reach if they are to go further in the tournament.

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

We don’t have to play anyone particularly decent to the semis, if Spain get knocked out we play one possibly France in the final who looked excellent especially embpee. But they did concede 3 and we have a lot more pace and youth than Argentina.

Dont get the point we haven't got to play anyone decent. Colombia are no mugs, our next game may well be our last.

10 hours ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Thought exactly the same - 4 teams well ahead of us in all areas 

To start with, Argentina are bang average. You're comparing teams playing in the group stage with one in the knockout where none of the four teams looked anything special. We outplayed two crap teams and didn't try to beat a third. I'm looking forward to seeing if we can step up from our good start.

6 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Dont get the point we haven't got to play anyone decent. Colombia are no mugs, our next game may well be our last.

I don't think anyone is saying it'll be easy. Looking at the two sides of the draw one looks to be easier than the other. Colombia, Sweden and Switzerland are probably thinking that they're happier in our half too. I remember at Italia 90 people thinking we'd breeze past Cameroon and we only managed that by the skin of our teeth.

11 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I’m not saying Columbia are shit or we have a Devine right to roll them over. My point is there not one of the “supposed” big boys. We are capable of beating them and if Rodriguez is injured and we can keep Falcao quiet. We should really be beating them.

2 hours ago, latics22 said:

How old are you?  Colombia have got at least as much reason as we have to say they don't play anyone decent until the semi-finals.  A small grasp of history goes a long way.

Edited by Dave_Og

24 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

How old are you?  Colombia have got at least as much reason as we have to say they don't play anyone decent until the semi-finals.  A small grasp of history goes a long way.

Yeah it does, theve  reached the quarter finals once in there history compared to our 8 and we’ve won it! How old are u??? We’re ranked higher, lost once in the last year , have the current top scorer and have players that all play in one of the top leagues in Europe. We should win