World Cup Predictor Competition

With 31 players, we have a prize pot of £77.50 which means £38.75 for the winner, £23.25 for 2nd; and £15.50 for 3rd.

It also means a donation of almost the same amount (slightly less due to PayPal fees) to OWTB, which is a massive help so thanks a lot to everyone who's signed up.

:chubb:

Now, who had Germany to lose and Brazil to draw...?

16 minutes ago, maddog said:

I was looking good in 3rd until yesterday. Where I picked up a whole 0/9....

Long way to go, I've locked in all my matches for the group stage, could be a bad move but it's the only way I can guarantee not forgetting to predict.

1 hour ago, Stevie_J said:

With 31 players, we have a prize pot of £77.50 which means £38.75 for the winner, £23.25 for 2nd; and £15.50 for 3rd.

It also means a donation of almost the same amount (slightly less due to PayPal fees) to OWTB, which is a massive help so thanks a lot to everyone who's signed up.

:chubb:

Now, who had Germany to lose and Brazil to draw...?

Thanks for organising it Stevie. Despite it reinforcing my knowledge that I can't predict the outcome of football matches.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Watching England doesn't get any less painful.  Poor crossing from the wing backs, and don't get me started on Raheem AK47 Sterling.

Lingard missed 4 sitters. 4!  If that is Sterling he gets murdered in the press.  There are a number of players that performed worse than the usual-go-to-whipping-boy Sterling. We should have had 2 pens too.  It’s 3 points. When was the last time that happened in a tournament.  We’ll go through. That’ll do for now. Let’s see what happens. 

How does Young play before Rose? He hasn't got a left foot, so every defender in the world knows what he's going to do. Maguire awful, should never be in front of Cahill on current form. Henderson just about average with every other pass going either astray or backwards. Alli should have been subbed at half time. Still, as has been said, it's 3 points. Panama ought not to be a problem, but we've got to massively improve on that performance against Belgium.

9 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Lingard missed 4 sitters. 4!  If that is Sterling he gets murdered in the press.  There are a number of players that performed worse than the usual-go-to-whipping-boy Sterling. We should have had 2 pens too.  It’s 3 points. When was the last time that happened in a tournament.  We’ll go through. That’ll do for now. Let’s see what happens. 

Lingard missed 2 sitters the keeper saved another one with his leg, but my frustration with Sterling is you see his attacking intent with Citeh  but when he pulls on the England shirt he seems devoid of ideas. Only my opinion 

10 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Lingard missed 2 sitters the keeper saved another one with his leg, but my frustration with Sterling is you see his attacking intent with Citeh  but when he pulls on the England shirt he seems devoid of ideas. Only my opinion 

He will come good, no question 

Lingard is bright and won't hide, he'll keep finding himself with chances. I'll take that anytime, the goals will come

Trippier was MOM for me, Young offered very little from the other side and i'd be happy to see Rose come in for him

We found a way to win where we'd normally draw or worse, i'm pretty happy with the start

If Dele is fit for Sunday I’d go for ten of the starting eleven from the opening game. The exception would be bringing in Rose for Young. I would also be ready to sub Sterling after an hour if he continues to not deliver.

The first game is always a difficult introduction to World Cup Tournament football but Sterling and Young along with one or two others, Maguire and Walker, need to step up. If not, England has decent options in the squad.

Panama next - should be a doddle...?

A very deserved victory for me on the balance of play, as I don't think Pickford had a save to make. aside from the softest penalty in the world.

Kane was wrestled to the ground twice by their number 4, I thought that was what the VAR was for.

I would definitely have Rose in for Young and Cahill for Maguire.

I would possibly start Rashford for Sterling aswell depending on Alli's fitness.

Overall a good win in difficult circumstances.

7 minutes ago, Hometownclub said:

I would definitely have Rose in for Young and Cahill for Maguire.

Thought Maguire did really well - he pretty much won every header and came close to scoring a couple of times.

Confident runs forward too - a bit more interesting to watch than your usual "knock it sideways" England defender..

• Like 1

Was happy with that I wouldnt necesaarily change anything for the next game aslong as Ali is fully fit we showed good movement good invention and got men in the box in the first half we should have really have had the game won at HT. Rose and Cahill have come off poor seasons where Maguire and Young have been ever presents. For that reason Id also stick with sterling he can definitelty come good Rashford has shown his capability from the bench. First games are never easy look how Argentina France Germany and Brazil all toiled to draws and even a defeat for Germany who looked like England in tournament football against the mexicans and we have got an all important win. Weve given ourselves something to build on which is encouraging.

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Thought Maguire did really well - he pretty much won every header and came close to scoring a couple of times.

Confident runs forward too - a bit more interesting to watch than your usual "knock it sideways" England defender..

Agreed thought he was excellent. Brings the ball out nicely. Assist for the winner also.

Young,Sterling and Walker need to up their game for me.Thank goodness we have Kane up front.I recall him once taking the corners...what was that all about?

Great attacking football especially the first half and could have been 3 up before Walker gave away a soft penalty with his back to goal!!

13 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It's all about opinions, just thought Maguire gave the ball away cheaply on a few occasions.

Would have Rose in for balance.  We could have done with another option in the last 30 minutes, but that left wing channel was pretty much unused because Young has no left foot.

Maguire made a couple of mistakes, but Cahill makes plenty of those too.  Would stick with Maguire for what he offers when he pushes up.

Would be tempted to start Rashford, think he could have a lot of joy against Panama which could kick start him for the Belgium game.  Looked more confident running with the ball than Sterling or Alli.  I'd probably put him in ahead of Alli.

Thought England played well and picked up a good win. 

Comparing us to the likes of Brazil and Germany is a bit redundant due to the quality of the opposition. Switzerland are fairly equal to England and Mexico are not far behind. 

However, we looked better than the French who laboured against fairly similar quality opposition, and in 2010 they would have lost due to the technology not being in use. Argentina looked fairly average against Iceland and Belgium were fairly mediocre against Panama in the first half. 

Spain and Portugal have looked the stand out sides so far, but their respective defensive frailties were also exposed. 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Was happy with that I wouldnt necesaarily change anything for the next game aslong as Ali is fully fit we showed good movement good invention and got men in the box in the first half we should have really have had the game won at HT. Rose and Cahill have come off poor seasons where Maguire and Young have been ever presents. For that reason Id also stick with sterling he can definitelty come good Rashford has shown his capability from the bench. First games are never easy look how Argentina France Germany and Brazil all toiled to draws and even a defeat for Germany who looked like England in tournament football against the mexicans and we have got an all important win. Weve given ourselves something to build on which is encouraging.

France toiled to a victory. But I get what you are saying