Domestic scouting and recruitment

It's pretty obvious where the overseas players are recruited via but who makes the decisions on the domestics? 

A few players have had trials and been signed, fair enough, but who identified and decided to go for Woods, Wilson, Mills etc.? 

It obviously wasn't the last head coach and I struggle to imagine that Mo has any great knowledge in that area so who does make the calls? 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It's pretty obvious where the overseas players are recruited via but who makes the decisions on the domestics? 

A few players have had trials and been signed, fair enough, but who identified and decided to go for Woods, Wilson, Mills etc.? 

It obviously wasn't the last head coach and I struggle to imagine that Mo has any great knowledge in that area so who does make the calls? 

In relation to Wilson and Mills, Barry Owen was in charge of signing these with his

"invaluable experience and knowledge of the lower leagues and dealings with agents" 

That was the exact quote told to me by a member of the board at the Fans Forum during the interval.

This was not from Barry Owen himself by the way haha

3 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

In relation to Wilson and Mills, Barry Owen was in charge of signing these with his

"invaluable experience and knowledge of the lower leagues and dealings with agents" 

Translation: They were available, within our budget and had good games against us last season.

8 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

That was the exact quote told to me by a member of the board at the Fans Forum during the interval.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

We’re fucked, aren’t we?

35 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

There are fucking huge problems at our club but this mans influence shouldn't be ignored, bloke probably doesn't know his head from his arse when judging a player yet seemingly he is able to influence domestic signings, problem we've got is the bloke judging our international imports is even fucking worse, add it all together in a pot and it's a recipe for disaster. 

What will it take for us to change tack or are we just going to bat on under these fools influence until we are relegated? 

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

There are fucking huge problems at our club but this mans influence shouldn't be ignored, bloke probably doesn't know his head from his arse when judging a player yet seemingly he is able to influence domestic signings, problem we've got is the bloke judging our international imports is even fucking worse, add it all together in a pot and it's a recipe for disaster. 

What will it take for us to change tack or are we just going to bat on under these fools influence until we are relegated? 

Literally the only truly positive aspect of the club I can genuinely think of is the outstanding work of the Community Trust. Happy to be corrected on anything else.

Just now, singe said:

Literally the only truly positive aspect of the club I can genuinely think of is the outstanding work of the Community Trust. Happy to be corrected on anything else.

Cannot disagree at all, majority of the valued members of staff behind the scenes have also jumped before they were pushed which speaks volumes. Left with deadwood on and off the pitch.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Cannot disagree at all, majority of the valued members of staff behind the scenes have also jumped before they were pushed which speaks volumes. Left with deadwood on and off the pitch.

I should have added the groundstaff.

2 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

The issue you have when multiple people influence signings is that they rarely tend to suit one style of play. You end up with a load of players that you don't need or that don't fit.

Wilson appears to be the perfect example 

5 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

The issue you have when multiple people influence signings is that they rarely tend to suit one style of play. You end up with a load of players that you don't need or that don't fit.

And of course, appointing a half  competent Sporting Director is supposed to prevent that happening.

11 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

Eg the deadline day signing of Morais and Smith.  Individually, both good players. However when we already had Branger, Nepo, Eagles, Fage, Kokos to play wide, how did they fit into an overall recruitment strategy?  To answer my own question - we don't have a recruitment strategy which is one of the main reasons we're in this mess.

15 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Eg the deadline day signing of Morais and Smith.  Individually, both good players. However when we already had Branger, Nepo, Eagles, Fage, Kokos to play wide, how did they fit into an overall recruitment strategy?  To answer my own question - we don't have a recruitment strategy which is one of the main reasons we're in this mess.

The nodding dogs told us in the summer this kind of model was commonplace. I guess we will have to wait and see how it plays out.

2 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

You literally pulled up a tree when you gave us the gift of Cameron Burgess BP !! In fact I reckon a Dahlia would have been more comfortable on the ball 😩

Still playing with a higher club in this division though.😁

19 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The nodding dogs told us in the summer this kind of model was commonplace. I guess we will have to wait and see how it plays out.

I think the arrangement isn't at all uncommon but those who make it work generally have someone competent in the role

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I think the arrangement isn't at all uncommon but those who make it work generally have someone competent in the role

And we have 2 people in the role, neither with any expertise to bring to it, seemingly not coordinating with either each other or whichever poor sap happens to be head coach at the time 😂

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

And we have 2 people in the role, neither with any expertise to bring to it, seemingly not coordinating with either each other or whichever poor sap happens to be head coach at the time 😂

Wishful thinking but wonder if there is a case for such a role to require a licence.

Archived