Youth Game at Carlisle

7 hours ago, Flemboy said:

Superb game and penalties. Well done.Puts our first team to shame 

Southerington has to be MotM for three crucial contributions:

1. The first half penalty save was the turning point as we had been struggling up to that point to cope with Carlisle’s more physical and energetic game.

2. The 96th minute ‘Jimmy Glass’ moment that took us into extra time.

3. The penalty save, again from Fishburne, that gave us the early advantage in the shoot out.

A great battling display from both teams - congratulations to our youth for digging deep and winning a thrilling contest. 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Love the passion shown. Stick them in the first-team.

Be great to see these come through.

Didn't we win the Lancashire youth Cup a couple of years ago and then let them all leave?

did any make it elsewhere though?

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Kallum Mantack and Brendy Glackin made a few appearances for the senior team but failed to impress 

seem to remember Glackin being particularly scathing of the decision to release him as he was so prolific for the youth team 

Trying to recall the name of the Norn Irish youngster released about five years ago that surprised everyone.  A striker who seemed promising?

Got it - Brendy Glackin.  Generally thought to be the best of them but never made any progress.  Doesn't appear to have played anywhere for a couple of years

23 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Trying to recall the name of the Norn Irish youngster released about five years ago that surprised everyone.  A striker who seemed promising?

Got it - Brendy Glackin.  Generally thought to be the best of them but never made any progress.  Doesn't appear to have played anywhere for a couple of years

I think George Edmundson was in that 2016 squad and IMO none have the quality of Harry Vaughan, and even then with youths it's no certainty he will make grade. I'd have put my money on Andy Sweeney in the 1970s but he failed to progress.

I see Matthew Tipton is the Portadown manager.

Brendan Glackin....https://portadownfc.co.uk/player/brendan-glackin/

22 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Back in NI

https://stjamesswiftsfc.com/squad/

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

did any make it elsewhere though?

I guess not.

They obviously weren't a group of talentless footballers, though.

Build a team who learn how to win as a unit at youth level, gradually introduce the majority into the first-team and maybe they'll win at that level too.  I doubt many of them would be much worse than our current crop...

16 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I guess not.

They obviously weren't a group of talentless footballers, though.

Build a team who learn how to win as a unit at youth level, gradually introduce the majority into the first-team and maybe they'll win at that level too.  I doubt many of them would be much worse than our current crop...

It's a mass gap. Oh, hang on.. I mean it should be a massive gap... 😀 

Archived